Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:31:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mo Salah  (Read 4589 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Mo Salah
« on April 25, 2018, 10:52:32 am by Copps is Magic »
Most exciting player to enter the premier league since?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Mo Salah
« Reply #1 on April 25, 2018, 11:25:55 am by RoversAlias »
Suarez.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 25, 2018, 12:37:14 pm by Copps is Magic »
I couldn't think of owt after Ronaldo. Suarez? According to wiki max he got in a prem season was 31, Salah may beat that. Also has a much more rounded game. And definitely a more likeable character.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 25, 2018, 01:01:26 pm by dickos1 »
I would be tempted to say ever,
Ronaldo wasn’t at his peak in England, there’s a case for Suarez, zola, Henry, bergkamp, cantona.
I suppose it all depends on how he does in the next couple of seasons

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 25, 2018, 01:03:13 pm by NickDRFC »
In terms of impact I can’t think of anyone who’s done more in their first season. He’ll need another good season though to deserve being discussed in the company of Henry, Ronaldo, Bergkamp etc though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 25, 2018, 01:10:38 pm by RoversAlias »
I couldn't think of owt after Ronaldo. Suarez? According to wiki max he got in a prem season was 31, Salah may beat that. Also has a much more rounded game. And definitely a more likeable character.

You asked about exciting players though, not characters. Suarez's 31 in a season is currently a joint Premier League record along with Shearer and Ronaldo, obviously Salah looks on course to beat that but it doesn't diminish Suarez. He was incredible at the time, came in largely unheralded from Ajax and turned Liverpool into near title winners. For all Salah's exploits this season, Liverpool are nowhere near the title but with Suarez they should have won it.

Salah has been incredible this season and he's in a terrific attacking unit, but I'd say he's one of a few in the last ten years to come into the league and quickly stand head-and-shoulders above most if not all contemporaries. That list for me would be Ronaldo, Aguero, Suarez and now Salah.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 25, 2018, 01:14:31 pm by NickDRFC »

You asked about exciting players though, not characters. Suarez's 31 in a season is currently a joint Premier League record along with Shearer and Ronaldo, obviously Salah looks on course to beat that but it doesn't diminish Suarez. He was incredible at the time, came in largely unheralded from Ajax and turned Liverpool into near title winners. For all Salah's exploits this season, Liverpool are nowhere near the title but with Suarez they should have won it.

Salah has been incredible this season and he's in a terrific attacking unit, but I'd say he's one of a few in the last ten years to come into the league and quickly stand head-and-shoulders above most if not all contemporaries. That list for me would be Ronaldo, Aguero, Suarez and now Salah.

Ronaldo was dreadful in his first couple of seasons - lightweight show pony who didn't have much of an impact on games. Suarez was always a menace but it wasn't until his last season or two that he was anything like as effective as Salah in terms of goalscoring.

I've always loved Aguero so can't argue with him!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 25, 2018, 01:25:16 pm by GazLaz »
Jordan Henderson.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2018, 01:28:59 pm by RedArmy »
A few crazy shouts about Ronaldo on this thread.. “Wasn’t In his peak at United” I agree he’s got better at Madrid but he still won the champions league with United and made English top league look shite.

Then “Ronaldo was dreadful in his first couple of seasons” come on man, have you had a few shandy’s?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 25, 2018, 01:31:30 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Most exciting player to enter the premier league since?

reminds me of a "tidy " "Messy" who actually can run and he didn't need "growth hormones" either

didn't realise they had "dinky" toys in Egypt but must have had judging by the amount of dinks he does :chair:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 25, 2018, 01:37:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
De bruyne is great to watch too.  I was a big fan of Bale though. Live he was exciting to watch.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 25, 2018, 01:41:50 pm by dickos1 »
A few crazy shouts about Ronaldo on this thread.. “Wasn’t In his peak at United” I agree he’s got better at Madrid but he still won the champions league with United and made English top league look shite.

Then “Ronaldo was dreadful in his first couple of seasons” come on man, have you had a few shandy’s?

Phil Neville won the champions league too

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 25, 2018, 01:46:58 pm by NickDRFC »

Ok dreadful was a definite exaggeration but I was replying to RoversAlias claim that Ronaldo “came into the English league and quickly stood head and shoulders above most if not all contemporaries”. For his first couple of seasons he was a lightweight winger who would do half a dozen step overs and not a lot else. I’m his first two seasons he scored 4 in 29 then 5 in 33 in the PL - how is that possibly comparable to what Salah is doing now? Admittedly he improved a lo, no doubting that, but he was nowhere near the level whilst he both grew up and bulked up.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 25, 2018, 01:58:19 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Ronaldo was 18 wasn’t he when he joined. Shocking he wasn’t perfect then. Ronaldo is better than Salah. However Salah now is probably as good as Ronaldo was when he left Man Utd.

Here’s a bigger question...

At that time Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez

Or Salah Mane Firmino. From now?

Who was better?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 25, 2018, 02:00:51 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t think ronaldo is better than salah as they are now

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 25, 2018, 04:23:59 pm by RedArmy »
Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest player to grace the Premier League. No question about it. Salah is also a great player but not up to Ronaldo standard.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 25, 2018, 04:34:33 pm by dickos1 »
As we talk today salah is a better player than ronaldo.
He has been the greatest but he’s 33 now and past his best

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 25, 2018, 05:22:17 pm by The Beast »

If this is the case which it may well be, then what are the chances of Liverpool keeping him with Real needing a new Galactico and Barca, City and PSG all courting maybe the hottest property in world football?

Also what's it say about Mourinho letting him, de Bruyne and Lukaku all leave Chelsea.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 25, 2018, 05:27:33 pm by GazLaz »

Ronaldo is on a different level to Salah.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 25, 2018, 05:32:27 pm by RoversAlias »

Have you seen Ronaldo's scoring record recently? It's still insanely high for a player aged 33 and he is still carrying that Real team when it needs doing, like in the Champions League. Salah may get there but he is not on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi yet.

NickDRFC however is right on Ronaldo in response to my point, I kind of reset my own parameters midway through that post so I should say, Ronaldo once he matured and hit his stride at Man Utd as a senior player fits the bill that Salah does now, but I actually think this is not too dissimilar a comparison since, lest we forget, Salah is not actually new to the Premier League. He was here before with Chelsea and was nowhere near the player he is now.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 25, 2018, 06:36:31 pm by dickos1 »

Ronaldo is on a different level to Salah.

I agree

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 25, 2018, 06:39:08 pm by dickos1 »

Have you seen Ronaldo's scoring record recently? It's still insanely high for a player aged 33 and he is still carrying that Real team when it needs doing, like in the Champions League. Salah may get there but he is not on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi yet.

NickDRFC however is right on Ronaldo in response to my point, I kind of reset my own parameters midway through that post so I should say, Ronaldo once he matured and hit his stride at Man Utd as a senior player fits the bill that Salah does now, but I actually think this is not too dissimilar a comparison since, lest we forget, Salah is not actually new to the Premier League. He was here before with Chelsea and was nowhere near the player he is now.

Ronaldo was on a higher level for years but this year he isn’t, salah is going to smash the premier league goal scoring record this year, it won’t even be close.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 25, 2018, 10:49:45 pm by RoversAlias »

Ronaldo was on a higher level for years but this year he isn’t, salah is going to smash the premier league goal scoring record this year, it won’t even be close.

Ronaldo has scored 42 goals in 40 games this season and is as likely, if not more likely, to lead his team to the Champions League title again. Salah has 43 in 47 so his goals-to-games ratio is actually worse - overall, in the league and in Europe. Ronaldo has also scored 15 goals in the Champions League to Salah's 11, so it is just not accurate to say Salah is at a higher level than Ronaldo at present. Clearly Salah is only just hitting the level of Ronaldo and Messi rather than surpassing it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:55:45 pm by RoversAlias »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 25, 2018, 11:20:31 pm by Draytonian III »
I’m not a big fan of Ronaldo but he is still streets ahead of Salah even at 33 years of age

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 25, 2018, 11:43:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Salah has been sensational this season and is up there with Ranaldo and Messi. However, he will need to produce season on season to be considered up there with them. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bidding war between Barca and Madrid for his services sometime soon.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 26, 2018, 10:31:30 am by DMnumber4 »
In terms of impact I can’t think of anyone who’s done more in their first season. He’ll need another good season though to deserve being discussed in the company of Henry, Ronaldo, Bergkamp etc though.

Hold your horses (this and the OP!)

Have people forgot Salah was at Chelsea for two years and did b*gger all?

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 26, 2018, 10:35:47 am by RedArmy »
Salah has been sensational this season and is up there with Ranaldo and Messi. However, he will need to produce season on season to be considered up there with them. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bidding war between Barca and Madrid for his services sometime soon.

Exactly this. Ronaldo has done it consistently for over a decade now. Salah has to do the same to ever be compared to him surely?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 26, 2018, 10:37:37 am by wing commander »
Salah has had a glorious season but it's just that one season..Far to early to be putting him on the same pedestal as Ronaldo..I'm not saying he's a flash in the pan but I suspect he wont have another like this..

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 26, 2018, 10:37:43 am by RedArmy »

Hold your horses (this and the OP!)

Have people forgot Salah was at Chelsea for two years and did b*gger all?

Barely given a chance to be fair to him. Shipped out by Mourinho who has also shipped out De Bruyne and Lukaku whilst at Chelsea.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 26, 2018, 01:21:44 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I'm glad someone mentioned Cantona. I've liked the little I've seen of Salah, but does he have character - possibly. That's what makes a player exciting for me. Cantona had it in sackfulls, as did Sulli and Grobbelaar.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012