Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:50:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fannying about at the back....  (Read 3613 times)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
Fannying about at the back....
« on August 18, 2019, 07:57:00 pm by adamtherover »
Am I the only one who had their heart in their mouths every 5 minutes.  I'm sure the players are under orders, but passing it along the back.line time after time leads to one thing.  We lose.possession and gift a chance to the opposition. This must have happened 4 or 5 times, and tha fully we didnt lose a goal. But at some stage they must learn from in game incidents.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Re: Fannying about at the back....
« Reply #1 on August 18, 2019, 08:00:21 pm by Nudga »
I like this tactic. It's takes courage and patience for this to work.
It's about drawing the opposition forward so you can break the lines.
I hate "get rid of it" and playing safe football. For me, if you get rid of it for a throwing or corner, or even to their left back, you've conceded possession.
Take risks and exploit the spaces.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 18, 2019, 08:07:41 pm by drfchound »
I like this tactic. It's takes courage and patience for this to work.
It's about drawing the opposition forward so you can break the lines.
I hate "get rid of it" and playing safe football. For me, if you get rid of it for a throwing or corner, or even to their left back, you've conceded possession.
Take risks and exploit the spaces.

I am a big fan of it too.
Keep the ball, keep it moving and look for the front players movement.
There isn’t much point in a team like ours lumping it forward as inevitably we are going to lose possession.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 18, 2019, 08:15:40 pm by adamtherover »
I don't mean revert to the long ball aftwrb5 mins, hell no, but passing it across to a man under pressure already is madness. If we are gonna adopt that tactic, at least try and pick out a midfielder , so at leas if the ball is lost. Its. Not in a danger zone..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 18, 2019, 08:17:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's a means to an end. Stick with it, they will get better.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 18, 2019, 08:22:34 pm by selby »
  It has already cost us the game at Grimsby, and money in that competition, and could have, and probably should have cost us the points in this game.
  Teams will take notice, and press higher up the field, and passing across your own goal is the most dangerous ball in football, especially without knowing  or realising where the opposition players are on the field.
  Repeatedly getting caught out is a problem, and yesterday we had a problem.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 18, 2019, 08:26:56 pm by RedJ »
We do play a few hospital passes at times, yes. But that'll disappear with time.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 18, 2019, 08:32:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The midfielders have to find space and make themselves available. When we do it well, we look very good but it takes hard work and practice. You have to take risks now and again but calculated risks.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 18, 2019, 08:36:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We do play a few hospital passes at times, yes. But that'll disappear with time.

This. It might not work brilliantly at the moment but will improve with time and draw out attackers to allow for space. "Getting rid" just usually gives away possession.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 18, 2019, 08:41:25 pm by Cramby10 »
Gerritt forrad!!!!😂

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 18, 2019, 08:49:20 pm by Nudga »
  It has already cost us the game at Grimsby, and money in that competition, and could have, and probably should have cost us the points in this game.
  Teams will take notice, and press higher up the field, and passing across your own goal is the most dangerous ball in football, especially without knowing  or realising where the opposition players are on the field.
  Repeatedly getting caught out is a problem, and yesterday we had a problem.

Like I said, it's a risk that we will lose games but needs patience, trust and bravery for it to work.
Once DM has got the personnel to execute this style of play, it's going to be a joy to watch.

Move the ball, move the player.
Football is about Movement, space and time
 Movement into space = time

More time for us, less time for them.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 18, 2019, 08:55:02 pm by idler »
Swansea used to do it brilliantly. Their keeper was like an extra outfield player.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 18, 2019, 08:56:15 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
It was clear even in the Gillingham game that Moore wants us playing out from the back, looking better already, this could be really clicking by game 10, Sheaf looks way to casual for my liking though, very ‘the arsenal way’

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 18, 2019, 09:02:55 pm by Michael Shaw »
I recall the tactic of back passing being raised by someone at one of the MTO meetings and it was scoffed at. I understand the concern but it is clearly a tactic accepted by our various coaches.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 18, 2019, 09:14:04 pm by DearneValleyRover »
There isn’t anything wrong with the tactic unless the midfield and forwards are playing statues which they did for a good amount of the game. Once they start to make runs and movement to pull defenders etc out of position it will get better

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 18, 2019, 09:18:25 pm by drfchound »
All the best teams play that way.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 18, 2019, 09:24:12 pm by rich1471 »
Gerritt forrad!!!!😂
a young kid sat behind me only about about 6-7 kept shout just wack it away made me laugh , Moore has a style of play and it will come good 

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 18, 2019, 09:30:59 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I actually thought we played too safe at times and didnt take enough risks.  Risks often bring better rewards, playing safe sees you finish 10th.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 18, 2019, 09:59:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We have to know when the opposition is really on it for a press especially early in in a game if we have a few wobbles it sets the tone for the match. Other than that I think it’s the right thing to do just got to mix it up when needed

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 19, 2019, 08:44:49 am by mrfrostsdad »
Every team in the country plays this way, for the simple reason every coach in the country does the same coaching badges. Great if you're Liverpool or Man City (even they **** it up some times) but we're not.

The op has a good point here though. Had Ched  Evans played Saturday or Madden the full game, we'd have probably got caught out. Andersons sideways passes, along with Sheaf and even occasionally  Whiteman were at times terrible - even 10 yard passes going well astray - but it's something that's not going to change, because as I said, coaches are coached to show players to play that way

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 19, 2019, 10:55:22 am by sha66y »
It looks like fannying around because we haven’t got it perfected yet...but once it clicks it will be very effective...I do agree that there are “ heart in mouth” moments but we have to persevere whilst they fine tune it...

Lots of squeaky bum times ahead ...lol

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 19, 2019, 01:24:53 pm by jmt23 »
It’s not the passing, it’s when they are passing, and the movement in front of them. They should never be scared to go long though, especially with the pace of our new additions

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 19, 2019, 01:37:12 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It’s not the passing, it’s when they are passing, and the movement in front of them. They should never be scared to go long though, especially with the pace of our new additions

As long as it's only players making them passes that are capable of making them. Non of this hit and hope shite. It also depends on who you're playing against. If the opposition plays deep then no point going long.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 19, 2019, 01:41:05 pm by drfchound »
There was once time in the second half when we were passing the ball around and someone played it to Anderson but the pass was underhit.
Tom had no choice other than to play the ball long, down the left side for someone to chase.
A bloke near me said “why has he lumped that ball up there”.

Can’t win eh.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 19, 2019, 03:41:22 pm by selby »
  I have no problem Hound when it is a safe ball, too many times on Saturday, and at Grimsby it was not a safe ball  because they were pushing up on the receiver of the pass, because it was either under hit or telegraphed.
  It needs to be mixing up better, while we have the pace up front, and the opposition is shoving up to the halfway line, there is nothing wrong with dropping the ball in the area between their back four and their penalty area, and making them turn.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 19, 2019, 08:11:19 pm by godlike1 »
should there not be better movement up front to give them options and stop the need for sideways passing?

It is def the DF era that style of football. I don't mind it to a degree but there is point that  its done because it is the easy ball.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 19, 2019, 09:50:11 pm by redarmi66 »
Playing out from the back is fine as long as you have the players to do it with confidence and consistency. However there will be a time when you have to play it long. Its about good decision making. John Stones springs to mind in that he will always wants to play out even when there is nothing on. Can put the midfield in trouble with a poor pass.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 20, 2019, 09:21:27 am by Chris Black come back »
Just so long as we don’t revert back to the disastrous three at the back.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 20, 2019, 01:06:14 pm by adamtherover »
There was a debate over this on the radio yesterday where the presenter basically said that Pep had hoodwinked the rest of the english managers and coaches into thinking that it was the only way to play football!!  Knowing that 99% of the teams didnt have the personnel capable of doing it properly and his forward line was supreme in taking advantage of this!!!

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 20, 2019, 01:08:07 pm by Canadian Rover »
All professional footballers are capable of playing it at the back. If they couldn't hit a simple pass then they wouldn't be professional footballers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012