Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:20:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The two central defenders  (Read 4607 times)

Reesielad

• Forum Member
Re: The two central defenders
« Reply #30 on January 02, 2020, 08:44:22 pm by Reesielad »
The thing that I don't understand is why we have Jon Taylor in the box at corners, he is hardly useful at about 5'4" when he could be stood on the half way line willing to bolt like a rabbit if a ball goes forward quickly from a clearance, he would take two defenders out of any team that came to us for any corner.

Statistics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 02, 2020, 09:50:08 pm by Campsall rover »
The thing that I don't understand is why we have Jon Taylor in the box at corners, he is hardly useful at about 5'4" when he could be stood on the half way line willing to bolt like a rabbit if a ball goes forward quickly from a clearance, he would take two defenders out of any team that came to us for any corner.

Statistics

I have to agree. Don’t understand that tactic at all.

What do you mean statistics? Can you expand.

The only thing you can back up this tactic with a positive is our goals conceded record is the 3rd best in the league. But i still think having said that a good proportion of goals conceded have come from set pieces or at least the second phase of a set piece.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 02, 2020, 10:10:57 pm by Reesielad »

Statistics

I have to agree. Don’t understand that tactic at all.

What do you mean statistics? Can you expand.

The only thing you can back up this tactic with a positive is our goals conceded record is the 3rd best in the league. But i still think having said that a good proportion of goals conceded have come from set pieces or at least the second phase of a set piece.

I read somewhere and I have tried to search for it in the mean time but to no avail.

It went along the lines of, in a defensive set play the two things you are trying to stop are 1. The header and 2. The goal. Having more/all our players in the box whilst defending a corner greatly reduces the chance of the attacking team getting a head to the ball.

Having players on the posts reduces the chance of the goal also, in a defensive set play the only focus is to avoid conceding, not scoring.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 02, 2020, 10:43:45 pm by dickos1 »
The reason sides get everyone back at a corner is to retain possession once you win the ball

All possession based sides do it

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 02, 2020, 10:49:02 pm by Reesielad »
The reason sides get everyone back at a corner is to retain possession once you win the ball

All possession based sides do it

Yeah nothing to do with stats or trying not to concede, just to keep the ball “when we win it back” really?

Have a look at this, I have no idea who he is who wrote it though...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thetacticalanalyst.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/a-deeper-look-into-defensive-corner-situations/amp/

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 02, 2020, 10:57:12 pm by dickos1 »
We did it under sod
Arsenal did it under wenger

Sod explained why once

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 03, 2020, 08:02:21 am by SydneyRover »
I watched him take a good corner a couple of games ago and I still think Copps would be better in and around the box rather than taking corners

TinyPortal © 2005-2012