Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:51:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I'm buzzing Richie Wellens interview  (Read 4942 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Re: I'm buzzing Richie Wellens interview
« Reply #1 on May 18, 2021, 02:00:27 pm by Branton Rover »
Me too we haven’t had a passionate, tactically astute manager with a clear vision in donkeys years - great that he mentioned Sean O’Driscoll style football but doing it his “the Wellens” way.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 18, 2021, 03:02:49 pm by Spud »
What a great interview, looking forward to next season even more now.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 18, 2021, 03:07:00 pm by silent majority »
I particularly like the bit, when asked why he wanted to come back, he says;

'It's a very stable club, it's run the right way, obviously fan engagement is important'

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 18, 2021, 03:50:04 pm by adamtherover »
Quality interview....

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 18, 2021, 03:52:06 pm by Donnybax »
Really good interview and was actually one that you could listen to after the ones that Moore produced, which provided no insight or intelligence at all

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 18, 2021, 04:43:42 pm by PDX_Rover »
Darren who?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 18, 2021, 05:00:45 pm by Bessie Red »

'It's a very stable club, it's run the right way, obviously fan engagement is important'

SM, I know you said previously that you wouldn't have wanted RW as manager due to what had happened previously.  Do you think that RW has changed he is persona/attitude since he was last with us & that he has matured & any previous is now water under the bridge from both parties? There is no agenda in this question just wondered what your thoughts are now he has been appointed.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 18, 2021, 05:22:00 pm by afro goal machine »

SM, I know you said previously that you wouldn't have wanted RW as manager due to what had happened previously.  Do you think that RW has changed he is persona/attitude since he was last with us & that he has matured & any previous is now water under the bridge from both parties? There is no agenda in this question just wondered what your thoughts are now he has been appointed.

Can you jog my memory, ive seen that written a couple of times, what were the bad terms he left on ??

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 18, 2021, 05:24:21 pm by Superspy »
It's a great interview and it has me excited as well. I did have a bit of a chuckle at the starting "you can tell by the smile on my face I'm buzzing" comment with a completely deadpan expression, haha.

One thing that took me by surprise a little was how humble he came across in talking about him looking to find a home to develop as a manager and to prove himself, openly admitting that the start to his managerial career has been quite turbulent. Came across as refreshingly honest and down to earth about what he's here to do and what he wants to achieve.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 18, 2021, 05:44:16 pm by PDX_Rover »
It’s hard not to get excited by Richie’s interview. He’s still got the desire and confidence but also recognises that he’s learning.

“That’s all it is...  potential.”

Fantastic that Yoda Coppinger will be on hand.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 18, 2021, 06:17:04 pm by selby »
 He said it in that interview, we and the club are going to have to be patient and give him time to make his mark.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 18, 2021, 06:35:41 pm by silent majority »

That's right I didn't.

I, a number of years ago now, suggested that he wasn't mature enough and if he wanted to be a manager he needed to do a bit of growing up, it seems that he's done exactly that. Both parties looking at a fresh start suits me.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 18, 2021, 06:58:34 pm by NickDRFC »

That's right I didn't.

I, a number of years ago now, suggested that he wasn't mature enough and if he wanted to be a manager he needed to do a bit of growing up, it seems that he's done exactly that. Both parties looking at a fresh start suits me.

Did you not say something along the lines of Wellens is the last thing we need at the club right now a couple of weeks ago? I’m not trying to stir things up here, just thought that I’d read a strong opinion fairly recently.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 18, 2021, 07:17:10 pm by Rovers Return »

That's right I didn't.

To be fair I was of a similar opinion and expected us to appoint anyone but Richie, but we all grow up at some point I suppose. I wasn’t  entirely taken in 100% by some of the comments in his interview and felt he was saying a few things that some wanted to hear. However, and I really wish him well in this, he just might be a very good manager with the interests of himself ( of course) and also that of Doncaster Rovers at heart.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 18, 2021, 08:18:23 pm by MachoMadness »

Can you jog my memory, ive seen that written a couple of times, what were the bad terms he left on ??
It is all a bit Chinese whispers and I suspect no one knows the full story but the accepted wisdom is that he was very opinionated and rubbed senior figures the wrong way - particularly Rob Jones when he was caretaker manager who packed Wellens off to train with the kids (apparently). There is also a rumour that he got into a first fight with Andy Butler at some point. His recent comments would suggest he struggled to accept his legs had gone and his career was winding down at the time, so there may be some truth in it all.

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 18, 2021, 10:38:59 pm by South East Rover »

It is all a bit Chinese whispers and I suspect no one knows the full story but the accepted wisdom is that he was very opinionated and rubbed senior figures the wrong way - particularly Rob Jones when he was caretaker manager who packed Wellens off to train with the kids (apparently). There is also a rumour that he got into a first fight with Andy Butler at some point. His recent comments would suggest he struggled to accept his legs had gone and his career was winding down at the time, so there may be some truth in it all.

"Chinese whispers" Inaccurately transmitted gossip. 'Chinese whispers' refers to a sequence of repetitions of a story, each one differing slightly from the original, so that the final telling bears only a scant resemblance to the original.

"Rumour" an unofficial interesting story or piece of news that might be true or invented, and quickly spreads from person to person.

"Apparently" refers to something that seems to be true, although you are not sure whether it is or not.

I'll give Ritchie Wellens the benefit of the doubt without evidence to the contrary

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 19, 2021, 10:00:51 am by silent majority »

That's right I didn't.

Did you not say something along the lines of Wellens is the last thing we need at the club right now a couple of weeks ago? I’m not trying to stir things up here, just thought that I’d read a strong opinion fairly recently.

I also said that I'd said enough on this subject and that I wasn't going down that particular rabbit hole again. So, not sure what your point is.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 19, 2021, 12:17:39 pm by sha66y »

That's right I didn't.

It actually reads like you are trying to stir things up...
That question has absolutely no relevance to anything DRFC , and falls into the pointless category “ attacking an opinion after the event” ....with little to gain from an answer whether it’s affirming or denying...

and moving on.......

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 19, 2021, 01:51:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
S_M just wanted to make sure he got a good price from the bookies!!

I can understand his reservations. Also shared by many of us albeit, we said we hoped he'd mature as a man and used his managerial experiences to date to learn his trade.

That certainly appears to have been the case through the selection process therefore we need to let him get on with it. Sounds like he's prepared to learn from his mistakes. A SO'D philosophy of not fearing making mistakes and having the intelligence to learn from them.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 21, 2021, 11:05:02 pm by StocksArmy »
Just curious to know with regards to these clauses in RW contract, is there anything in place to prevent a club approaching and agreeing with him to not agree a new deal with us and then taking him?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 21, 2021, 11:18:12 pm by 5minstogo »
Just curious to know with regards to these clauses in RW contract, is there anything in place to prevent a club approaching and agreeing with him to not agree a new deal with us and then taking him?

He doesn't need to agree a new deal. As every day passes he still has a year remaining with clauses in place to prevent him leaving without a significant sum being paid to Rovers.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 22, 2021, 07:37:07 am by dickos1 »

His contract will never expire

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 22, 2021, 08:27:31 am by Avsuptem »

"Chinese whispers" Inaccurately transmitted gossip. 'Chinese whispers' refers to a sequence of repetitions of a story, each one differing slightly from the original, so that the final telling bears only a scant resemblance to the original.

"Rumour" an unofficial interesting story or piece of news that might be true or invented, and quickly spreads from person to person.

"Apparently" refers to something that seems to be true, although you are not sure whether it is or not.

I'll give Ritchie Wellens the benefit of the doubt without evidence to the contrary

WW1

Send reinforcements we are going to advance

Became

Send three and four pence we are going to a dance.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 22, 2021, 09:19:50 am by Chris Black come back »

From what has been briefed to the Free Press by the club, the contract appears to be one way ie if we sack him, he gets the 12 months. If he leaves for another club, there is a penalty way in excess of 12 months. It’s probably not so one-sided but we have at least built in some added protection.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 22, 2021, 01:21:33 pm by dickos1 »
Not so much one way really, lots of managers will get sacked with less than a year left or will just not get their contract renewed.
A contract like this give protection to the manager too

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 22, 2021, 01:41:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
That might be correct, but that’s not the model we have had previously. The balance has been shifted significantly with these new contract, from what we have been told.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 22, 2021, 04:29:33 pm by roversdude »
Well Richie must have been keen to take the job saying he doesn’t even know what’s in the contract

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 22, 2021, 07:35:08 pm by silent majority »

From what has been briefed to the Free Press by the club, the contract appears to be one way ie if we sack him, he gets the 12 months. If he leaves for another club, there is a penalty way in excess of 12 months. It’s probably not so one-sided but we have at least built in some added protection.

That's right. The club, after losing 2 managers in recent years, will seek adequate compensation if it happens again.

Its a balancing act of course, if its too stringent some managers would be put off from signing the contract, much like we would if our contract said we couldn't move to a better job if we wanted to.

Having said that the numbers are a bit eye watering, and are dependent on which level of club is looking for poach our manager. Lets hope Richie gets poached by an EPL club at some point in the future!!

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 22, 2021, 09:34:51 pm by roversontheup »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012