Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:27:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: I'm buzzing Richie Wellens interview  (Read 4943 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: I'm buzzing Richie Wellens interview
« Reply #30 on May 22, 2021, 09:41:29 pm by drfchound »
Refreshingly honest interview here. Didn’t know the real reason Ritchie left us the second time.
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/honest-richie-wellens-addresses-his-last-spell-at-doncaster-rovers-and-why-he-was-so-determined-to-return-3246645

Very interesting article and good to see that the true reason for him leaving has finally come out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 22, 2021, 10:41:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
On the contract the intention to warn off other clubs is well placed but i'm not sure how it works in practise.

Moore clearly had his head turned before he went and results went west because of it. If Moore's contract meant Weds ran away after a few weeks of talking behind our back would that really help improve the situation, or would we have a disgruntled employee in a key position where 100% commitment is needed? Even if it is black and white that the club is in the right, re contracts, the employee would still feel put out that a move he wanted couldn't happen.

I'm just not sure how it helps if the manager has his heart set on leaving. Obviously if other clubs play ball and speak to the club 1st re release clauses it may never get that far. But we all know that we're the only club that wouldn't tap up a managers agent and try and get the deal agreed before speaking to the club.

Also if a manager whats to leave whats the situation if they resign and a week later take a new job? Is there a mandatory gardening leave period or something like that. If not that's just a way around the whole process although that would be pretty low even for some of the managers we've had recently.

I'm not particularly concerned just more interested in how it works. Seems Wellens has his head screwed on and understands that to get a better gig than relegation fodder in the championship he has to build something over a number of years rather than jump at the 1st chance. I think Moore probably lacked belief in anything long term looking at all the decisions he took everything was about the short term

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 23, 2021, 06:43:22 am by NickDRFC »
I think there are some fair points raised there. When fans have said in the past that we’ve sold players for less than they’re worth, we’ve been told how it’s impossible to keep a player who doesn’t want to be here (Marquis, Whiteman) so wouldn’t that principle also apply to managers?

That being said I’m really not that concerned about a manager being poached - it’s part and parcel of football and if Wellens is at some point then it means he’d be doing a great job and at least it sounds like we’d be better compensated. I just hope that we have some sound succession planning in place, which I believe we now will.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 23, 2021, 09:53:56 am by drfchound »
Camps, it is way too early yet mate to know what squad we or anyone else will have by the start of next season.
Much can change before then.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 23, 2021, 09:58:44 am by idler »
The pressure from the fans and media on the likes of Ipswich,Pompey, Sheff Weds, Charlton and Sunderland if still here will be immense.
All of those will have had larger out goings than us over the last season and probably bigger overheads. How much financially in the closed season in the hope of success?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 23, 2021, 12:35:38 pm by graingrover »
A mid-season departure is more damaging and should / could be reflected in such a penalty clause.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 23, 2021, 01:15:44 pm by Campsall rover »
Camps, it is way too early yet mate to know what squad we or anyone else will have by the start of next season.
Much can change before then.
Absolutely hound. No I am the last person that will write off our chances next season.
Just trying to be a bit more pragmatic than i usually am. Just sensible realism to what we should expect.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012