Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:30:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Butler  (Read 6061 times)

anton123

• Forum Member
Butler
« on July 09, 2021, 04:01:54 pm by anton123 »
Contract terminated by mutual consent

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Butler
« Reply #1 on July 09, 2021, 04:07:10 pm by MachoMadness »
Off to Boston. I can only imagine there was some conflict over his role as Belles manager, which he'll continue to do. All the best, a true Rovers hero for me despite how last season ended.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 09, 2021, 04:08:53 pm by wing commander »
  I think we've all been expecting it..His tweets and timings of them indicated he wasn't training with the first team squad

It didn't work out during his spell as manager but we have a lot to be thank Andy for. Best of luck to him wherever he goes. My moneys on Chesterfield/Grimsby,

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 09, 2021, 04:09:21 pm by anton123 »
I wish him well , he’s been a great servant to the club but I think it’s the right time to move on give both parties a fresh start

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 09, 2021, 04:09:46 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Off to Boston. I can only imagine there was some conflict over his role as Belles manager, which he'll continue to do. All the best, a true Rovers hero for me despite how last season ended.

Wellens said the other day that he was fine with him doing the Belles job, just not coaching the Rovers.

Thanks for everything Andy, you're a Rovers legend.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 09, 2021, 04:10:07 pm by DonnyOsmond »
  I think we've all been expecting it..His tweets and timings of them indicated he wasn't training with the first team squad

It didn't work out during his spell as manager but we have a lot to be thank Andy for. Best of luck to him wherever he goes. My moneys on Chesterfield/Grimsby,

Signed for Boston.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 09, 2021, 04:17:30 pm by keyser_soze »
Our suspicions about him not appearing in the training photos seem to be correct and he has not been training with the first team. Don't think it was ever going to work i'm afraid but at least all can move on now.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 09, 2021, 04:18:06 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Good luck andy, did his best to stop the shambles of last season and will always be a club legend. Fair play to him for wanting to play every week which wellens couldn’t offer him.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 09, 2021, 04:18:49 pm by Jimmydee »
The Pilgrims have been training at the Keepmoat, Paul Green might have persuaded Butts to join him.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 09, 2021, 04:19:27 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Many thanks Andy for all of the contributions and work you have put into the club in many different roles. All the very best for the future, you will be very fondly remembered.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 09, 2021, 04:20:58 pm by RoversAlias »
Wellens has clearly shown Butler the door. Don't agree with it at all, that's twice now Rovers have allowed one of the greatest figures in our history to be shoved aside, and after all he did for the club this past year as well. It's a big loss for the dressing room, especially straight after Coppinger retires.

Great signing for Boston, mind. They don't know what they've got with that signing.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 09, 2021, 04:23:11 pm by Jimmydee »
Paul Green is at Boston and they’ve been training at the Keepmoat, he might have had a persuasive chat to Butts.
Good luck Butts, I was hoping for better things in his management tenure .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 09, 2021, 04:24:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s a top lad. Very pleased he is still associated with the club through the Belles.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 09, 2021, 04:31:14 pm by PDX_Rover »
He’s not really a club legend though, is he? He played a little over 200 games for us. Yes, he is a great character to have, and is passionate, and a great, great player… and also that goal at Charlton…

But legend?

Not for me.

Good decision all round. Must be difficult to go back from bring the gaffer, albeit it interim, to a squad player.

And didn’t he and RW have previous?

Thanks Butts. Brave man. Great character. Super defender.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 09, 2021, 04:36:56 pm by steve@dcfd »
He was never training with the rest of the team been down to look several times he was never there. The club had made this situation by giving him the interim managers job then passing him over. This was the only out come. People will blame Richie but for me it’s down to the club they gave him an extra years playing contract. He’s done well in his position of centre half but it’s time to move on.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 09, 2021, 04:39:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
My thanks to AB, but the Club put Butts in this position, not RW.

We move on and, hopefully, this opens the door for RW’s priority signings.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 09, 2021, 04:40:52 pm by mushRTID »
It was clear as day the other week with his twitter post on day 1 of training, what was happening yet some people accused others of jumping to conclusions.

Cheers for everything Butts I will never forget that header at Charlton, what a bloke Thankyou!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 09, 2021, 04:41:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He's a club legend for me. He got better with age and that goal at Charlton is one that cold have been scored by only a slack handful of players in the 50 years I've been watching us. I've never in my life seen a goal that more exemplified the desire of a player not to be beaten, and to impose himself physically on the opponent. Players with that strength of will come about very rarely and that moment alone lifted him into the Pantheon of Rovers Greats.

It's a very sad day. I hope he does brilliantly at Boston and beyond.

I am left wondering how much bad blood there was between Wellens and Butler over how Wellens acted in early 2015/16. It was clear at the time that whatever Wellens was doing behind the scenes had thoroughly pissed off Rob Jones and I can guess which side of the dispute Butler would have been on.

Still, on we go.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 09, 2021, 04:52:20 pm by Jersey Rover »
I give Wellens 18 months before he pisses the wrong people off. Butler been treated appallingly. Should have been judged on his playing merit for this season not on previous spats.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 09, 2021, 04:56:45 pm by GazLaz »
If Wellens didn’t think Butler is good enough then he’s entitled to want rid. He’s signed for a Conference North side, there was hardly a clamour from other EFL clubs to take him.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 09, 2021, 05:02:47 pm by steve@dcfd »
Can see people believing it’s personal. We are moving on we are looking at younger defenders with pace. We need to develop them into a  good team. Andy would not have played regularly he’s gone to Boston his contract will have been payed up so he won’t have lost out money wise.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 09, 2021, 05:07:29 pm by RugbyRover »
Thanks for the memories Butts.

Relax in the knowledge that you did do us all proud.

:scarf:

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 09, 2021, 05:08:12 pm by Draytonian III »
I was told that Boston have been training at Everton, the one near Bawtry not on Merseyside

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 09, 2021, 05:08:54 pm by Draytonian III »
I give Wellens 18 months before he pisses the wrong people off. Butler been treated appallingly. Should have been judged on his playing merit for this season not on previous spats.

18 months, that long  !!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 09, 2021, 05:12:14 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Legend in my eyes. Put everything & more into last season.

Thank you, Butts.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 09, 2021, 05:14:25 pm by MachoMadness »
We don't know it's personal. Obviously the fans have a lot of affection for Andy but Wellens has to get the most out of his budget, he's been open about moving players on and has said butler's playing time would be limited. There are footballing reasons to move him on, I'm sure if Wellens was the type to hold a grudge he wouldn't have the job.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 09, 2021, 05:20:20 pm by steve@dcfd »
We don't know it's personal. Obviously the fans have a lot of affection for Andy but Wellens has to get the most out of his budget, he's been open about moving players on and has said butler's playing time would be limited. There are footballing reasons to move him on, I'm sure if Wellens was the type to hold a grudge he wouldn't have the job.
If the club thought he was being moved on because of grudges they would not allow it to
happen. If people believe in the club then the decision will have been made with all parties involved.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 09, 2021, 05:30:19 pm by RoversAlias »
No one will ever tell me that Butler isn't a club legend of Rovers. Course he is.

He's also signed for Boston because he wants to stay in the area and have time to coach, it's nothing to do with who did and didn't want to sign him. Once he narrows down the locality that leaves you with very few clubs in the league. He proved last season he was still good enough on the pitch.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 09, 2021, 05:30:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Some serious 2+2=5 going on on here.

No way would Butts have been 1st choice in a centre back 2 or a back 3 this season.
Time to move on and look to the future.

He has been a top player for us, top character and leader on the pitch and a fantastic role model off it.

I wish him well in his role at Boston and in all he does in the future. He deserves success and will be successful, that i have little doubt about.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 09, 2021, 05:38:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No point speculating as we may never know.

Good luck to Andy. Great servant to the club in two spells. A great ambassador on and off the field and will always be one of us.

Unfortunately, the success of the club going forward is more dependent on Wellens than it is on Butler. I don't see it as a either or, just a simple evolution. We have to move on and it's better now than delaying the inevitable due to sentiment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012