Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:38:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Butler  (Read 6062 times)

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
Re: Butler
« Reply #30 on July 09, 2021, 05:39:07 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Paul Green is at Boston and they’ve been training at the Keepmoat, he might have had a persuasive chat to Butts.
Good luck Butts, I was hoping for better things in his management tenure .

I’m pretty sure both Boston and the belles train on the same night at the moat!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 09, 2021, 05:42:40 pm by TheFunk »
Not the first player to be treated shoddily by the club in recent years and probably won't be the last. Lived the dream of any Donny lad. Obviously a man who set high standards of himself and those around him. Sadly none met those standards last season. I'm guessing Darren let them toss it off as much as they wanted and when Butler took over they didn't like him laying down the law. In my eyes a legend who never gave less than 100 per cent. Last season nosedived when he dropped himself.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 09, 2021, 05:46:22 pm by Campsall rover »
Not the first player to be treated shabbily by the club in recent years and probably won&#03 be the last. Lived the dream of any Donny lad. Obviously a man who set high standards of himself and those around him. Sadly none met those standards last season. I'm guessing Darren let them toss it off as much as they wanted and when Butler took over they didn't like him laying down the law. In my eyes a legend who never gave less than 100 per cent. Last season nosedived when he dropped himself.
Where is the evidence he was treated shabbily. Total rubbish being spouted by a few on here who seem to have an agenda to slag the club off at every opportunity.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:03:26 pm by Campsall rover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 09, 2021, 05:51:20 pm by RoversAlias »
Not the first player to be treated shoddily by the club in recent years and probably won't be the last. Lived the dream of any Donny lad. Obviously a man who set high standards of himself and those around him. Sadly none met those standards last season. I'm guessing Darren let them toss it off as much as they wanted and when Butler took over they didn't like him laying down the law. In my eyes a legend who never gave less than 100 per cent. Last season nosedived when he dropped himself.
Where is the evidence he was treated shoddily? Total rubbish being spouted by a few on here who seem to have an agenda to slag the club off at every opportunity.

Come on Campsall, that's clearly not what's happening here. Butler and Wellens had a well-known fall-out a few years ago and his position as the former manager made it a difficult situation from the off. Butler leaving because he's not wanted by Wellens or doesn't fit in the new regime is hardly a far fetched theory, is it? Rovers said he had a place this season until pre-season started after all.

It is speculation either way, but you have no more evidence that all is above board here than anyone who believes otherwise.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 09, 2021, 05:58:36 pm by TheFunk »
Not being allowed to train with the first team is pretty shoddy to me. A player who gave everything deserves plenty of respect in my eyes and that smacks of disrespect. Being frozen out of first team training is usually reserved for players who've behaved badly. The fact Butler has left for his own wellbeing speaks volumes for me.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 09, 2021, 06:00:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Where is the evidence he was treated shoddily? Total rubbish being spouted by a few on here who seem to have an agenda to slag the club off at every opportunity.

Come on Campsall, that's clearly not what's happening here. Butler and Wellens had a well-known fall-out a few years ago and his position as the former manager made it a difficult situation from the off. Butler leaving because he's not wanted by Wellens or doesn't fit in the new regime is hardly a far fetched theory, is it? Rovers said he had a place this season until pre-season started after all.

It is speculation either way, but you have no more evidence that all is above board here than anyone who believes otherwise.
Alias i quote from Funk “ Not the first time the club have treated a player shabbily “

Sorry Alias not often I disagree with anything you post but that is some statement to make isn’t it?
So you think he may have been treated shabbily then. Is that what your saying?  No I don’t have evidence either way but I will not believe that a player of Andy Butlers stature at the club, a player who took over the managerial reigns in difficult circumstances would in any way be treated “shabbily” by DRFC.
Quite the opposite in fact.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 09, 2021, 06:06:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Not being allowed to train with the first team is pretty shoddy to me. A player who gave everything deserves plenty of respect in my eyes and that smacks of disrespect. Being frozen out of first team training is usually reserved for players who've behaved badly. The fact Butler has left for his own wellbeing speaks volumes for me.
And you have evidence that he wasn’t allowed to train with the 1st team?   If you do then fair enough.
But I think far too much is being made out of this. If you have hard evidence then I hold my hands up.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 09, 2021, 06:15:35 pm by RoversAlias »

Alias i quote from Funk “ Not the first time the club have treated a player shabbily “

Sorry Alias not often I disagree with anything you post but that is some statement to make isn’t it?
So you think he may have been treated shabbily then. Is that what your saying?  No I don’t have evidence either way but I will not believe that a player of Andy Butlers stature at the club, a player who took over the managerial reigns in difficult circumstances would in any way be treated “shabbily” by DRFC.

I think there is good reason to think it's possible Butler has been treated poorly, yes. Free Press have confirmed he wasn't involved in first team training this month, we've seen what he's said about his departure - Funk isn't wrong, Butler saying he's had to leave for his own well-being does speak volumes.

And I know players have been treated shoddily in the past, Butler was one of them two summers ago.

I don't think Butler should or would have been first choice this season, but his experience is invaluable and it appears Wellens just didn't want him around. I don't know that for certain but that's a potential scenario out of the evidence we have about this situation.

Last season he stepped in to a really difficult position, and he gave it his all even when certain players clearly were not playing for him or the shirt. His reward is to not only be passed over for the job long term but to also be hastened towards the door as soon as the new season has begun. He deserves better than that after everything he's done for this club, and the dressing room will be worse off for his departure.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 09, 2021, 06:32:34 pm by Rovers91 »
People saying hes been treated poorly we dont know how hes acted following not getting the job and Wellens getting it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 09, 2021, 06:32:48 pm by Campsall rover »
If he has and it is still an IF treated badly then it is McCann and Wellens and not the club.
I am quite sure he will have had his contract fully paid up and he is still part of Club Doncaster in that he has not severed ties with the Belles.

If he had thought the club had treated him badly then would he not have resigned from that post.

Yes I accept Wellens may not have had him in his plans going forward as a player.
He is 37 and his playing days at League 1 level were diminishing fast. Surely Wellens has had to look to the future and use his budget wisely.
May be there is a bit of history between the two of them but that is between Butts and RW.

The statement made was “ not the 1st time the club have treated a player shabbily “

Key word there is Club. That is what i was picking up on.

Let’s move on as i hate this negativity. Positive vibes are good for our well being.

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 09, 2021, 06:40:45 pm by jm291 »
Great player for us and an absolute gent but it’s time to move on. We want an overhaul with exciting, quick, slick passing football and AB isn’t going to give you that.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 09, 2021, 07:11:40 pm by Chris the Rover »
There’s no room for sentiment in professional sport, I’m afraid. AB has been tremendous for this club over the years, but he wouldn’t have got near the first team next season. Do some on here prefer that the club spend money on such a player, or use it on someone more likely to push for a starting place?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 09, 2021, 07:16:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
Some totally unfounded mudslinging going on here and from people who I thought were better than they’re currently displaying.

The Club simply have to take some responsibility for the position Butler was in. RW didn’t give him a 2 year playing contract, did he?

At the age he was at, he was very lucky to get a 2 year deal. Even Copps never got 2 years, for goodness sake.

We move on and our role, as supporters, is to get behind whoever the manager is ( and let’s not forget, the Board appointed RW). I would suggest it’s time to do just that.

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 09, 2021, 07:33:43 pm by auckleyflyer »
I honestly think Andy's time at the club was likely to have come to an end. It's the same in all aspects of work. Difficult to move back to the squad + 75% of managers wouldn't want a replacement looking over their shoulders every day. + It sends out a strong msg from Richie wether you agree or not ? Easy decision.
All the best Andy, hope you smash it with the bells and Boston and get another chance in management one day.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 09, 2021, 07:48:05 pm by RoversAlias »
If he has and it is still an IF treated badly then it is McCann and Wellens and not the club.
I am quite sure he will have had his contract fully paid up and he is still part of Club Doncaster in that he has not severed ties with the Belles.

If he had thought the club had treated him badly then would he not have resigned from that post.

Yes I accept Wellens may not have had him in his plans going forward as a player.
He is 37 and his playing days at League 1 level were diminishing fast. Surely Wellens has had to look to the future and use his budget wisely.
May be there is a bit of history between the two of them but that is between Butts and RW.

The statement made was “ not the 1st time the club have treated a player shabbily “

Key word there is Club. That is what i was picking up on.

Let’s move on as i hate this negativity. Positive vibes are good for our well being.

The club appoint the managers and, from what I've seen across various people in the role, give them an awful lot of freedom to do as they see fit. Sometimes to good effect and sometimes not so much.

I am happy to draw a line under this discussion though. I feel Andy Butler should have been kept at the club this season, those in charge think otherwise. That's how it is, and we move on to see how the squad takes shape and the season gets underway.

Alan - Agree with a lot of your post tbh, and it wasn't down to Wellens that he/Butler/the squad were in the position they were in, it was the club.

I will get behind the manager and hope he leads us to success, but I will (as I always have) make observations when I don't agree with something they do. I won't blindly follow the manager's decisions just because of who he is. Wellens has made an encouraging start to his tenure in terms of personnel but I don't agree with how the Butler situation has been handled, or what has led to his departure.

I wanted our squad to have more experience than it had last season, and right now the dressing room has lost Copps and Butler and gained only Rowe, with more loanees likely to be younger on the way in. It was a problem last season and I want the new management to have understood the need to improve on that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 09, 2021, 08:20:13 pm by GazLaz »

I think there is good reason to think it's possible Butler has been treated poorly, yes. Free Press have confirmed he wasn't involved in first team training this month, we've seen what he's said about his departure - Funk isn't wrong, Butler saying he's had to leave for his own well-being does speak volumes.

And I know players have been treated shoddily in the past, Butler was one of them two summers ago.

I don't think Butler should or would have been first choice this season, but his experience is invaluable and it appears Wellens just didn't want him around. I don't know that for certain but that's a potential scenario out of the evidence we have about this situation.

Last season he stepped in to a really difficult position, and he gave it his all even when certain players clearly were not playing for him or the shirt. His reward is to not only be passed over for the job long term but to also be hastened towards the door as soon as the new season has begun. He deserves better than that after everything he's done for this club, and the dressing room will be worse off for his departure.

That’s football. Similar situations will be happening at most clubs, especially ones with recently appointed managers. It’s a serious business and sometimes decisions are made that may rub people up the wrong way.

If Richie and Butts didn’t get on or whatever, do you thing we should have paid Butts a wage for a season with no intention of playing him?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 09, 2021, 08:24:37 pm by Barmby Rover »
A very decent centre half in his time, a disaster as a manager. I wish him well, but like everybody else he has to accept the fact that we all get older.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 09, 2021, 08:35:55 pm by sha66y »
Drama queens !
Wellens is building a team snowflakes!
he will do it his way….so save ya yapping for the season ahead instead of creating bloody drama out of every twist n turn of fate…

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 09, 2021, 08:43:14 pm by wilts rover »
Great player, character and ambassador for the club. Shame it didn't work out last season, but there you go. Thanks for the memories Butts, good luck at Boston and hope to see you back at the club in some role or another in the future.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 09, 2021, 09:58:25 pm by RoversAlias »

That’s football. Similar situations will be happening at most clubs, especially ones with recently appointed managers. It’s a serious business and sometimes decisions are made that may rub people up the wrong way.

If Richie and Butts didn’t get on or whatever, do you thing we should have paid Butts a wage for a season with no intention of playing him?

Of course, you're totally right but doesn't mean I (or anyone else) has to agree with it or like it. I don't feel Butler really got a chance here this side of the manager being appointed and it doesn't sit quite right with me.

I backed the appointment of Wellens as the best choice and I back him to get us going again, but I'm not pleased to see it end this way for Buts and I'm not yet convinced that Wellens' "my way or the highway" approach will always lead us down the right path. Hope I'm proven wrong on that one.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 10, 2021, 07:29:36 am by CJK »
Really disappointed to see a Butler leave. Club legend for me, not often players from the town reach 200 appearances for the club is it? Great leader on the pitch and presumably around the club more generally. Model pro to boot. Bought into the wider Club Doncaster ethos. As others have alluded to, losing the experience of Copps and Butler at the same time will leave a big hole.

Signing for Boston makes a lot of sense, they train at the KM, as do the Belles and he can stay in the area without any travelling.

Good luck AB, you did Donny proud.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 10, 2021, 07:34:01 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Drama queens !
Wellens is building a team snowflakes!
he will do it his way….so save ya yapping for the season ahead instead of creating bloody drama out of every twist n turn of fate…

Snowflakes?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 10, 2021, 07:58:14 am by Alan Southstand »
I backed the appointment of Wellens as the best choice and I back him to get us going again, but I'm not pleased to see it end this way for Buts and I'm not yet convinced that Wellens' "my way or the highway" approach will always lead us down the right path.

Jumping to your own conclusions again, Alias. Who says it’s a ‘my way or the highway’ approach - other than you? The manager is doing what he feels is right for the Club and he wants total commitment (much like McCann did) and I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Something is working, as the latest news is we now have a left sided forward player having a medical this very morning. Next up - defensive midfielder!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 10, 2021, 08:07:31 am by Jonathan »
It’s a shame Butler has gone in circumstances that have clearly not been ideal for him. I’m a big fan of Butler and defended him to the hilt when people were aiming some very harsh and unfair comments at him during his stint as manager. He deserves more respect than he got then, and he deserves our respect and well wishes now he’s gone. I’d have liked him to stay as part of the squad and the coaching staff too. But we appointed Wellens as manager, not Butler and not me, so that view is immaterial! I’m delighted with nearly everything I’ve heard from Wellens so far and back him 100%. If he thinks this is in the best interests of the club, and Butler has swiftly got fixed up elsewhere, then we all carry on. No point dwelling on this or blowing it up into something it doesn’t need to be.

Good luck Andy Butler and thank you for everything you did for us, especially that goal at Charlton. You definitely made us proud, it would be good to see you back at DRFC one day in some capacity.

Good luck Richie Wellens, let’s make some new memories.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 10, 2021, 08:16:27 am by graingrover »
I think it is best for all parties that Andy has gone to a new club to play .He inevitably is associated with our woeful demise last season and Wellens clearly is determined to wipe all slates clean .He has not been sacked ,has left by mutual consent and still manages Belles

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 10, 2021, 08:25:43 am by Metalmicky »
Agree with Jonathon here.  He leaves with my full respect and should depart with his head held high.  I for one will be looking out for Boston's results on a Saturday.  Let's remember though he is still part of Club Doncaster and still has an important job to do with the Belles...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 10, 2021, 10:14:46 am by RoversAlias »
I backed the appointment of Wellens as the best choice and I back him to get us going again, but I'm not pleased to see it end this way for Buts and I'm not yet convinced that Wellens' "my way or the highway" approach will always lead us down the right path.

Jumping to your own conclusions again, Alias. Who says it’s a ‘my way or the highway’ approach - other than you? The manager is doing what he feels is right for the Club and he wants total commitment (much like McCann did) and I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Something is working, as the latest news is we now have a left sided forward player having a medical this very morning. Next up - defensive midfielder!

We don't know if anything is "working" under Wellens yet, quite frankly. As of right now he has managed precisely zero Doncaster Rovers games, and we don't know if any of his signings will turn out to be any good. Fans always get excited by signings and new additions, doesn't mean automatically that it's good.

I think this is my last post on the matter for now, anyway. I am behind the club and look forward to the season, but Butler's departure is a blot on the summer for me and that opinion won't change. I'm sorry he's gone and I'm dismayed it has happened the way it has, I've not "jumped" to any conclusions, merely assessed what I know about it and come to my own determinations based on that information.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 11, 2021, 09:03:18 am by normal rules »
I never need too much of an excuse to go watch my local team, but with a brand new ground to look forward to visiting and now this!!!!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 13, 2021, 11:19:03 am by steve@dcfd »
Just read the latest article from Liam Hoden RW had discussion with Andy he wanted to play football so he’s found that at Boston where he could play every week if selected. The club and RW have looked after Andy with the pay up he’s received. Although RW said he would liked moved players out he’s not saved much money due giving the money that Andy deserves.

This should have come out from the club when the decision was made instead of waiting for an article in the free press and allowing for supporters to put their own conspiracy theories forward.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 13, 2021, 11:38:05 am by jamesrover17 »
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that AB wasn't on a great deal of money in his second spell, it was more of a signing 'from upstairs' so that he could step in when Moore eventually left, probably why paying him up hasn't freed up much in terms of wages

TinyPortal © 2005-2012