Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:54:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ITEN: Great Expectations in the Wellens era  (Read 1069 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
ITEN: Great Expectations in the Wellens era
« on July 28, 2021, 04:55:58 pm by RoversAlias »
Hi folks,

My latest article as we edge closer to the new season is now up, discussing the reasonable hopes of the Rovers fanbase after another summer of big changes. You can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/great-expectations-richie-wellens-doncaster-rovers

Please let me know your thoughts - what do you think is a realistic aim for the campaign ahead? Can we push for the Play-Offs or should we be content to build slowly and accept there will be teething problems as Wellens puts his philosophy in place?

Many thanks for reading, and stay tuned for my Season Preview piece which will be out this weekend featuring contributions from a couple of supporters and an EFL expert!

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Re: ITEN: Great Expectations in the Wellens era
« Reply #1 on July 28, 2021, 08:47:52 pm by Upton Rover »
Good read, well put together

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 28, 2021, 10:53:56 pm by edlored »
A good read just hope our supporters this is a work in progress and not shouting for Wellens or the boards head after a few misshaps. :rtid: :rtid:

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 29, 2021, 12:55:16 am by SydneyRover »
''It could be the best of times, it could be the worst times''

Thanks Alias, as always looking for the positives with constructive criticism where required.

Unfortunately by all reports last night was 'a tale of two cities' disappointing but not wholly unexpected with a team recently demoted to the championship and a team with more than it's fair share of problems under new management. Fielding a team still under construction was never going to be easy but at drfc there is always hope and the worst of times are definitely in the rear view mirror.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 29, 2021, 12:25:12 pm by RoversAlias »
I hope they are Sydney, time will tell but I must say after watching last night's game I think it is very hard to learn much from these pre-season games. Been a tough few weeks on and off the pitch in terms of building momentum and cohesion.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 29, 2021, 08:57:03 pm by tyke1962 »
Looking from the outside it looks a tough task for Rovers given the thin looking squad in a league that looks extremely tough given the size of a good number of clubs .

It could possibly be a slow burn as Wellens builds his squad and implements his style and philosophy as the season progresses .

I wish you lads all the best for the new season and hope it's a successful one .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 29, 2021, 09:11:12 pm by Campsall rover »
All the best for Barnsley Tyke this season.
Hope we are playing against you in the Championship very soon.

Don’t expect it to be next season but the one after???  Who knows.
Please don’t get relegated. Hang on for us.

I expect you to have a tough season think you over achieved last season, deservedly of course.

Good luck.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 29, 2021, 09:25:47 pm by tyke1962 »
All the best for Barnsley Tyke this season.
Hope we are playing against you in the Championship very soon.

Don’t expect it to be next season but the one after???  Who knows.
Please don’t get relegated. Hang on for us.

I expect you to have a tough season think you over achieved last season, deservedly of course.

Good luck.

Much appreciated Campsall thanks very much .

A big ask indeed to improve on last season , that would mean we'd have to reach the championship play off final !!!!!!

That said I'm positive we will more than hold our own , the young  lad we've signed today from Burnley looks a very good prospect with the Burnley fans questioning the wisdom of letting him go , always a good sign .

Defence looks fine , midfield dooable with Styles moving in to his natural central midfield position this season from left wing back and taking Mowatt's shirt .

Up front is a slight concern but a second striker is due to sign this weekend to add to Woodrow and Morris plus Devante Cole and the big lad we got from Standard Liege yesterday  so who knows .

I'll be happy at mid table plus .

Funny old championship these days with the majority of clubs without a pot to pyss in .

Quietly confident we could surprise a few again .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012