Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:21:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens post match interview on football heaven!  (Read 4671 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Wellens post match interview on football heaven!
« Reply #30 on July 29, 2021, 08:21:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I thought you'd all be inclined to join us in the West stand, where all the noise and atmosphere is created?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 29, 2021, 08:25:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Let's not get carried away thinking Wellens is a football genius because he is forthright and articulate in interviews.

He is, but just because Darren Moore was a dithering cliche factory in his, doesn't mean Wellens is the messiah.

Saying that, it was a good interview and encouraging I think. It has been clear for a couple of weeks that he is playing some mind games I think with the budget talk. They will find the money for a few extra players, I'd say he will get his loan keeper, defensive midfielder and a winger in at the very least, even if only Ed Williams leaves.

Wellens knows how he wants us to play but pre-season has been tough, we haven't had the time to get the squad to gel between Covid, loads of trialists and games being cancelled. It's going to take some time but Wellens doesn't seem too worried about that fact, which should put the minds of us fans at ease a bit.

Hi RA.
I’m not sure that many people are thinking RW is the new messiah.
I think that most are just happy that each interview with him isn’t a cliche filled load of claptrap and that he isn’t afraid to get down to brass tacks and answer questions.

How is your recovery coming along by the way.

Fair enough Hound, I just think some have been quick to lavish great praise upon Wellens when really he's just doing decent, standard interviews. As we both touched on, it is a massive improvement on listening to Moore which I think is why some are waxing lyrical.

It's coming along well thanks, I've every hope of being at the Wimbledon game if I keep feeling better at the rate I have been this week!

Good news then. I am planning on getting my ST next week but don’t think i will be in my usual seat as it might be a bit busy there, especially if the BB group get in late and cram into the centre area where early people will already be sat.
We will be looking for an area that isn’t packed but I hope we see each other.
Not me. Just to clarify!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 29, 2021, 08:52:20 pm by drfchound »
Come and join me, lads; about halfway up, in line with the keeper's right hand post.

Doesn’t that get a bit crowded mate.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 30, 2021, 12:18:13 pm by Red wizard »
Us Yorkshire folk are straight up no bull talkers. Say it how it is. If RW continues with this approach the fans will like it.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 30, 2021, 12:41:32 pm by Pancho Regan »
I'm certainly not seeing RW as the 'Messiah', nor am I getting carried away.
We haven't kicked a ball in anger yet and I've been watching Rovers long enough never to count my chickens. Actually I expect we're in for a very difficult season with, hopefully, a good few 'highs' to counter the inevitable 'lows' we will experience in the months ahead.

Nevertheless, I still find it so refreshing to listen to RW speak. I learned more in this interview than in all the interviews with DM put together.
I know that good talk doesn't win matches but my goodness, it's a welcome improvement in terms of the quality of communication and information from the Manager.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:39:20 pm by Pancho Regan »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 30, 2021, 01:09:07 pm by RugbyRover »
I'd agree 100% that the Wellens interviews are a massive improvement on the dross that went before. I'm now looking forward to Radio Sheffield to hear what what he has say. Its like having Fergie back  :)

What I would say though is that RW is a passionate man who loves football and wants to win games. We are going to be in for a difficult season I believe, and I'm a bit wary that the honesty and fire in his belly might come back to bite him.

I can see us going 5 games without a win and RW blowing up with his frustration. He will piss a lot of people off if he isn't careful.

I do feel Copps & Noel Hunt are going to play a huge role in defusing RW if things don't go to plan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan of RW and I'm sure he'll do a great job for our club. I'd love to see some passion but just hope he doesn't go OTT with the honesty...in public.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 30, 2021, 02:26:28 pm by sha66y »
I personally think the first few games should be aimed at getting a good solid defensive mentality sorted right through the team…I don’t care if we serve up some bore draws as long as we look strong

if we can defend we stand a good chance of getting points,

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 30, 2021, 05:01:58 pm by scawsby steve »
Come and join me, lads; about halfway up, in line with the keeper's right hand post.

Yes it does, mate. Which brings us to the crux of the situation, that it's now become a matter of personal choice. As I've said on here before, we either return to some kind of normality, or we live a life of restrictions that's almost unbearable.

Football stadiums are places where crowds of people gather, singing and shouting and bawling. A mask will not give anyone individual protection in that environment unless everyone wears one, and that's not going to happen.

I'm trying to be as responsible as I can at the moment; I always wear a mask in Morrisons, and use the hand sanitiser. However, that's an indoor setting, and I'm only in for 10 minutes or so. There's no way that at the Keepmoat, in an outdoor setting, that I'll be wearing a mask for almost 2 hours, breathing in my own carbon dioxide. I'll wear one in the concourse and the toilet, but not in my seat.

As I said, it's all about choices, and if some people are very apprehensive about the infection figures at the moment, they might be better keeping away from football for the time being.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 30, 2021, 05:16:26 pm by danumdon »
Its good to see  a manager like Wellens come into our club and shake it up from the comatose slumber from the latter part of last season, Is wouldn't of been the football that would drive fans away but the constant bullshit and slather coming from the previous full time incumbent.

Wellens may not have all the cards he wants but at least we will get it straight, Yorkshire folk have always appreciated straight talk and we will give him the time to develop the squad, I'm expecting a very difficult start to the season with some clubs to play who have massive issues to put right for themselves, if we can see the effort being made that's all we can ask for now.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 30, 2021, 05:34:33 pm by RoversAlias »

Yes it does, mate. Which brings us to the crux of the situation, that it's now become a matter of personal choice. As I've said on here before, we either return to some kind of normality, or we live a life of restrictions that's almost unbearable.

Football stadiums are places where crowds of people gather, singing and shouting and bawling. A mask will not give anyone individual protection in that environment unless everyone wears one, and that's not going to happen.

I'm trying to be as responsible as I can at the moment; I always wear a mask in Morrisons, and use the hand sanitiser. However, that's an indoor setting, and I'm only in for 10 minutes or so. There's no way that at the Keepmoat, in an outdoor setting, that I'll be wearing a mask for almost 2 hours, breathing in my own carbon dioxide. I'll wear one in the concourse and the toilet, but not in my seat.

As I said, it's all about choices, and if some people are very apprehensive about the infection figures at the moment, they might be better keeping away from football for the time being.

All perfectly understandable Steve, but you would expect our usual area to be one of the busiest and therefore you're more likely to be exposed so to speak to potential Covid sat there than in a quieter corner for instance. That's our approach for at least the first few games of the season.

I am double vaccinated but have a lung condition and now an additional chest issue. It's my choice to go to the game but I will sit somewhere I feel a bit less at-risk and will probably take a mask. I wear one for 8 hours straight at work usually and it's no bother, I'm not breathing in my own carbon dioxide in fact it hardly feels any different to normal breathing-wise, just maybe makes me a bit warmer.1

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 30, 2021, 06:00:04 pm by scawsby steve »

All perfectly understandable Steve, but you would expect our usual area to be one of the busiest and therefore you're more likely to be exposed so to speak to potential Covid sat there than in a quieter corner for instance. That's our approach for at least the first few games of the season.

I am double vaccinated but have a lung condition and now an additional chest issue. It's my choice to go to the game but I will sit somewhere I feel a bit less at-risk and will probably take a mask. I wear one for 8 hours straight at work usually and it's no bother, I'm not breathing in my own carbon dioxide in fact it hardly feels any different to normal breathing-wise, just maybe makes me a bit warmer.1

You take good care of yourself, mate. You're still a young guy with most of your life to come.

Me, I'm just an old fart, but whatever few years I've got left, I want them to be as liveable as they can.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 30, 2021, 06:26:08 pm by drfchound »

You take good care of yourself, mate. You're still a young guy with most of your life to come.

Me, I'm just an old fart, but whatever few years I've got left, I want them to be as liveable as they can.

I’m not so young SS, I just look like I am.
I agree with RA on the stadium situation though mate and I too will be sat in a quieter spot rather than the usual busy place that I have occupied for many years.
You know what it is like when something controversial happens or a goal is scored, everyone shouting out and flinging droplets everywhere.
Yes, I know what you are saying about living normally but just now I will feel a bit safer in a more “spaced” area during the game itself.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 30, 2021, 07:31:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »

You do actually know you don't breathe in CO2 when you wear a face mask, right?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 30, 2021, 07:59:33 pm by PDX_Rover »
We haven't kicked a ball in anger yet and I've been watching Rovers long enough never to count my chickens. Actually I expect we're in for a very difficult season with, hopefully, a good few 'highs' to counter the inevitable 'lows' we will experience in the months ahead.

Nevertheless, I still find it so refreshing to listen to RW speak. I learned more in this interview than in all the interviews with DM put together.
I know that good talk doesn't win matches but my goodness it's a welcome improvement in terms of the quality of communication and information from the Manager.

I don’t even have chickens to count. It’s Rovers, remember? Normal doesn’t exist.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 30, 2021, 11:54:12 pm by Pancho Regan »

I know that good talk doesn't win matches but my goodness it's a welcome improvement in terms of the quality of communication and information from the Manager.

I don’t even have chickens to count. It’s Rovers, remember? Normal doesn’t exist.

Absolutely PDX!

High hopes, low expectations.
My life as a Rovers fan.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 31, 2021, 01:00:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I’m not so young SS, I just look like I am.
I agree with RA on the stadium situation though mate and I too will be sat in a quieter spot rather than the usual busy place that I have occupied for many years.
You know what it is like when something controversial happens or a goal is scored, everyone shouting out and flinging droplets everywhere.
Yes, I know what you are saying about living normally but just now I will feel a bit safer in a more “spaced” area during the game itself.

We all have to find our own comfort zone, there's nothing wrong with that.

I was a bit wary the other night and I had my mask on hand and was prepared to wear it.

Me and my mate wanted to try our new seats out. When we got there 10 mins before kick off, there were empty seats either side and only a couple of lads behind and a couple in front. None of whom were wearing masks but I felt there was sufficient respectful distance between us. I thought, if they're not wearing masks to protect me, then what's the point in me wearing mine to protect them!

As the game went on, one of the lads behind got uncomfortably close a couple of times but as you get involved in the game you forget about the protocol and find yourself shouting 'go on ' Come on Rovers' etc. Just normal things.

I'm still here a few days on, no symptoms etc feeling perfectly well etc. It's another step towards normality.

I'm sure you'll go through a similar process. Some folk are more bold and carefree than others but that's life I guess but just do whatever it takes for you to feel comfortable however long it takes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012