Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:33:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best Atmosphere top 5  (Read 7859 times)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re:Best Atmosphere top 5
« Reply #30 on February 17, 2010, 10:15:32 pm by BobG »
Another one: What about Dover at home that first season in the Conference? Started low key - obviously - as we were being battered so badly that we were 3-0 down in no time at all. But the scond half....!

BobG

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr Croft

« Reply #31 on February 18, 2010, 01:37:20 pm by Mr Croft »
Mike_F wrote:
Can I add Hillsborough last night to the list.

Mny's the time we've taken a big away following somewhere and don't manage to get songs going in unison but last night we had the Leppings Lane End rocking.

We're the left side, we're the left side, we're the left side over here!

Agreed,

Were the right side were the right side, were the right side over here...

Left side give us a song, left side left side give us a song...

:silly:

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 18, 2010, 02:15:19 pm by Dutch Uncle »
BobG wrote:
Another one: What about Dover at home that first season in the Conference? Started low key - obviously - as we were being battered so badly that we were 3-0 down in no time at all. But the scond half....!

BobG

Bob - You and me are old enough to remember the Christmas  time 1-0 at Valley Parade ca 1984 with 9 men when Bradford City were running away with Division 3 - some atmosphere that day

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 18, 2010, 08:09:35 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Even made the headline of the express in the morning the York game!
I was very young boy but I have never heard anything like it, think alot of fans were bladdered which added to the atmosphere.....
I thought this is the club for me quite simply amazing!

Drover wrote:
Norfolk N Chance wrote:
1) York City 84 1-1 (A)
2) Everton 85 2-0 (A)
3) Mansfield 04 1-2 (A)
4) QPR 84 1-0 (H)
5) Villa 05 3-0 (H)

Ah,someone else who remembers how good the york city away in 1984 was.Will never see anything like that anymore,squashed in liked sardines,uniform coppers mingling in crowd to try and keep order,toilet rolls thrown on the pitch then all of a sudden a bobby's helmet flies through the air and lands in front of the goal with a big cheer from the Rovers fans and then another one and another big cheer and laughter.Crikey you would get a life ban now if you did that,you get banned for not throwing the ball back if the ref complains nowadays. :laugh:

My TOP fives for Atmosphere's

1) York city 84
2) Everton 85
3) Arsenal Carling cup quarters
4) Aston Villa Carling cup
5) Man city Belle vue Carling cup

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 18, 2010, 10:44:15 pm by BobG »
You are almost right Brian. It was Boxing Day. But we ended up with 8 men, not 9. For me, that game remains the single finest Rovers performance I have ever seen. Even better, that game was the defining moment of Ian Snodin's career. Imagine it. A Glynn free kick rocket goal just before half time. Three Rovers players sent off in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Stuart McCall in full cry leading the confident and damn good Bantams in wave after wave of attacks. And Ian. The sublime, the pricelesss, the beautiful Ian Snodin. He was just a kid. But there he was: marshalling the entire team - or what was left of it. Parker (on loan from Barnsley) on his own upfront running his legs into dust chasing anything that moved. Denis between the sticks. And Ian, arranging a 6 man line strung out across the pitch 10 yards outside our area. Defying McCall and co. to get through. Ian even took the piss out of him. 'Come on then!' you could see him gesticulating. It was, and is, the single best performance by any player, anywhere, that I have ever seen. I am in awe of the bloke even now, 25 years later. You can imagine the performance of the Rovers supporters....!

I will remeember that match to my dying day. Ian H was there that day. If he spots this thread he might contribute a bit about that day too.

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 18, 2010, 11:15:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bob/Dutch.

It's one of my abiding disappointments that I didn't see that Bradford match. There never was a better Rovers player at girding his loins in adversity than Ian Snodin. He was a force of nature and I can but imagine what he must have been like that day. I've always judged the Rovers by how they can defy the odds in a Dunkirk-spirit stylee, and I'm sure that Bradford match was the ultimate performance of that type.

Tuesday was utterly different. Tuesday was controlled, measured, intelligent, calm and utterly dominant. Tuesday was football that felt like a manifestaion of ESP - every player seemed to know instinctively where to go, where their team-mates where, and where the most hurtful next pass should go. We reduced a proud and in-form club, on their own patch to the role of embarrassed by-standers. By 65 minutes in, they'd even stopped really harrying and closing down, such was the run-around that we gave them. It looked like the sort of lesson that a Premiership club would give to a Division 2 side in the Cup.

O'Driscoll has stayed true to his principles of intelligent possession, but he's now shaped and crafted the team so that their first instinct is not to hold onto the ball for the sake of it, but to move it quickly forwards, with neat, simple, effective passes and wonderful fluid movement. The difference from 15 months ago, when we were turgid, safe, unwilling to risk and utterly lacking in forward-going momentum is astounding. It is an unalloyed joy to watch when it clicks like it did on Tuesday, and those of us who were there will cherish the memory of the night when the Rovers finally came of age as a cultured set of footballing aristocrats.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 18, 2010, 11:28:13 pm by BobG »
I think I'm going to regret not seeing last night just as much as you regret not seeing Bradford away Billy. Intelligence, above all things, is what I value in life. It doesn't matter in what context. But for goodness sake use the sodding brains God gave us all. Missing the apotheosis of SOD's intelligent football is really going to rankle.

Cheers

BobG

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 18, 2010, 11:54:55 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
I noticed that the club shop have released a dvd of yesterdays match for a tenner, so all is not lost Bob.

Wouldn't mind seeing one of the Bradford game you mention though, it sounds a cracker.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 19, 2010, 12:08:32 am by BobG »
I tell you what Snod, I'll give 'em a call to buy that bugger. Wish there was one of Boxing Day at Bradford though..... I'd buy fifty of 'em.

Cheers

BobG

retford rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 19, 2010, 12:49:46 am by retford rover »
wolves last game last sesason   good crack
ps  still seats left on the QPR  coaches........

TinyPortal © 2005-2012