Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:37:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Olympic sledging  (Read 2328 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Olympic sledging
« on February 19, 2010, 01:43:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I see we've found a sport that we're best in the world at in the Winter Olympics.

Skeleton bob.

Which I thought was a CBeebies cartoon, but it transpires it involves sledging at 90 mph on a thin bit of plastic.

There was an article in The Time t'other day on the fact that something like 50% of all our Olympic medallists in the last 30 years are public school and/or top University educated. Take the lass who's currently leading after two rounds of the skeleton bob (and having seen her arse in that outfit, I would...) She's an undergraduate at Bath University. The article was bemoaning our ability as a nation to get rough arsed working class kids to become Olympians.

Which got me thinking. Since this skeleton bob that they lay on looks like a piece of formica kitchen worktop, maybe the IOC is trying to make the games more accessible to kids from our area.

Now, if in the Olympics they had sledging on a black placcy bin liner, along a course where you have to dodge broken bottles, syringes and dog shit, while kids from the Proddy school down the road chuck half setters at you, the lads from Denaby would have won gold, silver and bronze when I were a lad.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re:Olympic sledging
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2010, 01:49:56 pm by River Don »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
The article was bemoaning our ability as a nation to get rough arsed working class kids to become Olympians.

Thing is if you're a rough arsed yoot on da street and you're a bit of an athlete what are you going to do? Devote yourself to sliding down a snowy hill on a tea tray, when a) You can't afford to be constantly travelling to Switzerland and b) you can't afford one of these modern kevlar tea trays & c) You're unlikely to ever make any money out of the sport...

Or do you think about taking up boxing or football or something where if you're successful  you can earn squillions.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2010, 02:03:53 pm by Highland Rover »
Nothing to do with the Australian cricket team then ???

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2010, 02:10:20 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Is tis the event where the Yanks have moaned today that our entrant has an unfair advantage cos they've got too many ridges on their helmet!!??  :woohoo:

Honestly. I ask you.   :lol:

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2010, 02:10:57 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I was expecting them (the Aussie cricketers) to get gold for sledging.  A similar misunderstanding when the BBC announced live coverage of \"ladies' moguls\".  Extremely disappointing in the end.  Very confusing, these Winter Olympics things.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2010, 03:54:19 pm by RobTheRover »
Talking of disappointing, I bought the new Tiger Woods DVD, \"My 18 Favourite Holes\"

Turns out its about golf!

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2010, 04:52:51 pm by bedale rover »
RobTheRover wrote:
Talking of disappointing, I bought the new Tiger Woods DVD, \"My 18 Favourite Holes\"

its not about the demon dentist phil mccavity then?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2010, 04:53:38 pm by bedale rover »
RobTheRover wrote:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012