Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 04:34:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Interesting week ahead  (Read 2096 times)

andysly

• VSC Member
Interesting week ahead
« on February 17, 2013, 09:29:51 am by andysly »
Three games this week with teams in the top 7 going head to head.
Followed up by adding the rest of the H2H fixtures.

Tuesday 19th -  Tranmere v Swindon

Saturday 23rd - Bournemouth v Sheffield United
                        Doncaster v Yeovil

Saturday 2nd - Yeovil v Tranmere

Saturday 9th - Bournemouth v Doncaster

Tuesday 12th - Brentford v Swindon

Tuesday 19th - Yeovil v Swindon

Saturday 23rd - Sheffield United v Brentford

Friday 29th - Tranmere v Sheffield United

Monday 1st - Doncaster v Swindon

Saturday 6th - Doncaster v Tranmere

Saturday 13th - Sheffield United v Swindon

Saturday 27th - Brentford v Doncaster
                        Tranmere v Bournemouth

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andysly

• VSC Member
Re: Interesting week ahead
« Reply #1 on February 17, 2013, 09:35:28 am by andysly »
Quick count up reveals:
Bournemouth have 1 at home and 2 away
Sheffield United have 2 and 2
Yeovil 2 and 1
Rovers 2 and 2
Tranmere 3 and 2
Swindon have 5 all away
Brentford 2 and 1

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 17, 2013, 09:36:34 am by andysly »
Obviously this excludes all "tricky" matches such as Coventry, MK etc

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 17, 2013, 09:41:34 am by donnievic »
One thing is certain on the day every game is tricky especially this time of season where bottom teams are fighting for points

MartinB

« Reply #4 on February 17, 2013, 10:34:07 am by MartinB »
If we were to go on a great run it would see us pull clear.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 17, 2013, 10:52:45 am by godlike1 »
That's a big if. There's not much over the last few games that maKes me think this will happen. I hope to be proven wrong but we will have to wait and see

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 17, 2013, 12:45:53 pm by RedJ »
For me, March 9th decides the title.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 17, 2013, 12:57:00 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
I'd love to just play Russell Howard teams from now on, instead of teams in the top 6 or bottom 6  :ermm:

I just hope Flynn doesn't stick with the negative stuff (going for a draw)... He's already said we are the best team in the division, so he should prove that by going out for a win, not a draw  :thumbsup: :woohoo:

(thats not a dig at Flynn so dont even bother thinking that)...

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 17, 2013, 01:09:17 pm by andysly »
I think Flynn was negative in the MK game purely to stop the rot of two defeats turning into three. SoD did a similar thing from time to time.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 17, 2013, 01:11:37 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
I think Flynn was negative in the MK game purely to stop the rot of two defeats turning into three. SoD did a similar thing from time to time.

I hope it was a one off but his interview made it sound like it isn't and that we'll be doing that all/most of the time.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 17, 2013, 01:14:05 pm by IDM »
Looking at those fixtures there's some massive games coming up for us..

Mind you, we need to get back to accumulating points like we were doing in January etc.  A win tomorrow would give us a slight advantage, and some confidence back.

BVP - in every game we play there will be some aspect of trying to avoid defeat.  Hopefully we'll have some desire to win as well...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 17, 2013, 03:00:33 pm by RedJ »

I hope it was a one off but his interview made it sound like it isn't and that we'll be doing that all/most of the time.

Aye, he said he wanted to make us difficult to beat, whereas Saunders' philosophy was always to try to win (as opposed to 'try not to lose').

Similar to when people compared us to Blackpool - we were at that point the "try not to lose" side whereas Blackpool went balls out to win.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 17, 2013, 03:24:31 pm by andysly »
I guess our low number of drawn games would suggest that there is a policy of win or bust.

pubteam

« Reply #13 on February 17, 2013, 03:38:55 pm by pubteam »

Aye, he said he wanted to make us difficult to beat, whereas Saunders' philosophy was always to try to win (as opposed to 'try not to lose').

Similar to when people compared us to Blackpool - we were at that point the "try not to lose" side whereas Blackpool went balls out to win.

You say that, but the main thing Saunders made sure to put in place here this season was a solid defence, and I think it was always his aim to establish that and build from there.

Think about games like Tranmere and Swindon away. I would say we set out in those games to make sure, first and foremost, that we didn't lose. I know Saunders always wanted to win and always spoke about the need to do so, but I think he had his head screwed on enough to know that it'd be unrealistic to set out to be gung-ho every week.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 17, 2013, 03:40:54 pm by RedJ »

You say that, but the main thing Saunders made sure to put in place here this season was a solid defence, and I think it was always his aim to establish that and build from there.

Think about games like Tranmere and Swindon away. I would say we set out in those games to make sure, first and foremost, that we didn't lose. I know Saunders always wanted to win and always spoke about the need to do so, but I think he had his head screwed on enough to know that it'd be unrealistic to set out to be gung-ho every week.

I think that that was so that we COULD go on the counter and not be left with a piss poor last line if it went balls up - that and every manager who has a clue will start a reshaping with the back line (along with ours being w**k for the last year or two). But I do see what you mean.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012