Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:58:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So now we know why Flynn got the job!  (Read 7473 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
So now we know why Flynn got the job!
« on February 14, 2013, 09:29:49 pm by mrfrostsdad »
No-one else was even interviewed!!!
What?!
No, I'm not joking. Just read part of an interview with JR and it's on the unofficial site. And Flynn 'will be part of the management team for many years to come'
So now we know. And I still come back to my original point 'No other established manager would come to a club without money to spend'. So I guess why bother interviewing anyone else?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Re: So now we know why Flynn got the job!
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2013, 09:33:26 pm by andyst79 »
Well who did you think we were actually going to get?

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2013, 09:38:06 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
That young lad did well on Calendar & interviewed better than Flynn!

50p weekly salary to be spent on Wham Bars & Highland toffees & look how much money we'd have saved for that  :lol:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2013, 09:38:51 pm by Filo »
Not sure what the OP is trying to get at or trying to achieve  :unsure:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2013, 09:40:58 pm by mushRTID »
Thought it was common knowledge Flynn got fast tracked in after the players made their feelings known before anyone was interviewed?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2013, 09:42:41 pm by RedJ »
Thought it was common knowledge Flynn got fast tracked in after the players made their feelings known before anyone was interviewed?

Come off it - why turn down the chance to have a sly dig at the club?

Can't do anything without there being some f**king conspiracy behind it these days.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2013, 09:47:35 pm by drfcsteve »
I thought the club said they were interviewing 4 or 5 candidates? How did we know Flynn was the best candidate if we didn't even look at anyone else?

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2013, 09:52:29 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
I thought the club said they were interviewing 4 or 5 candidates? How did we know Flynn was the best candidate if we didn't even look at anyone else?

I seem to remember we had this charade when Sean was appointed. There were claims of a Peter Reid/Beardsley "dream team" being interviewed and then we got a quiet bloke from Bournemouth. Ryan knew all along who he wanted.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2013, 10:39:51 pm by mrfrostsdad »
No conspiracy theory.
How does anyone know who the best candidate is for any job unless shortlisting/interviews are carried out.
In the public sector (where  I have spent most of my working life - 35 yrs in total) all the applicants would be able bring a charge under the Equal Opportunities Act if it could be proved the correct shortlisting had not been done. Not saying for a minute this should happen at a football club, but how do we know the best candidate got the job?
Cheapest option IMO, to which I am entitled

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2013, 10:47:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Charade may be a strong word. Some may have fully believed what was said by JR about the applications, the short-listing, conducting interviews etc., but you must understand, not just in football but in business what is said for the newspapers and public may not be completely accurate !

I fully believe they never intended doing any short-listing or conducting any interviews as it was always going to be A or B.

Sometimes, you have to buy time whilst you make enquiries. It's quite normal and I certainly have no problem with it.

I'm surprised the OP believed otherwise if he is a regular on here. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2013, 10:49:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
How does anyone know who the best candidate is for any job unless shortlisting/interviews are carried out.
In the public sector (where  I have spent most of my working life - 35 yrs in total) all the applicants would be able bring a charge under the Equal Opportunities Act if it could be proved the correct shortlisting had not been done.

Have you ever come across 'Headhunters' ? It's common practice, particularly in the City.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 14, 2013, 10:57:36 pm by Belle Vue Popside »
It may have been the cheapest option but that's NOT why he got the job!

He got the job for 1 reason as i and many others have already said... To try for stability.

When we get promotion it'll have worked out perfect. We can then let Flynn go and draw up a shortlist of probably better managers than before, interview and appoint.

I fully expect that what you expected in January, will happen in the summer...

I hope so anyway  :thumbsup:

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 14, 2013, 11:17:56 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I hope you're right. About the promotion bit anyway.
It would be difficult to appoint a new manager if we do get promoted

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2013, 11:20:42 pm by Belle Vue Popside »

Why? It's not like he's been here all season as manager. Or signed many players. Plus his contract is only 'til the summer.

We'll need better for the championship, but as an 'interim' type appointment, it's a very good one imo.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 14, 2013, 11:23:38 pm by RedJ »

Why? It's not like he's been here all season as manager. Or signed many players. Plus his contract is only 'til the summer.

We'll need better for the championship, but as an 'interim' type appointment, it's a very good one imo.

Perhaps this isn't strictly true, as I'd imagine he'd been recommending players to Saunders, since he WAS our scout before this. I bet you a pound to a penny he'll have had a part to play in the Cotterill deal.

Belle Vue Popside

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 14, 2013, 11:40:43 pm by Belle Vue Popside »

Perhaps this isn't strictly true, as I'd imagine he'd been recommending players to Saunders, since he WAS our scout before this. I bet you a pound to a penny he'll have had a part to play in the Cotterill deal.

Dean Saunders has worked with Cotterill too...

Dean Saunders was manager so they were his signings, Flynn obviously will have played some part in  some of the deals, but so do many scouts... I wouldn't give them the job either  :thumbsup:

I think in the summer (and in a new league) we need to go back to a SO'D type appointment (obviously not SO'D though)... Someone who can take the club forward and with an eye for the future footing of the club.

Can people honestly see Brian Flynn as a manager for 3-5yrs or more? spearheading the club to progress etc?

An experienced manager but who is also young. A manager who is proven at overachieving, yet potential to improve further. A manager who plays an attractive style of football and has a strong belief in a clubs youth policy and giving chances to them. A manager who is used to working on a very limited budget for the league they are in and a manager who is shrewd in the transfer market.

You probably know my first choice, but he's not the only one who has most/all of those attributes. The manager is the most important role for a 'team' so therefore should be paid the most attention and should have the most investment put into getting the right one.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2013, 12:13:34 am by AbsolutDRFC »
No conspiracy theory.
In the public sector (where  I have spent most of my working life - 35 yrs in total) all the applicants would be able bring a charge under the Equal Opportunities Act if it could be proved the correct shortlisting had not been done. Not saying for a minute this should happen at a football club, but how do we know the best candidate got the job?
Cheapest option IMO, to which I am entitled

Rovers don't operate in the Public Sector, so your comparison is invalid....

The football industry operates differently to other industries; thought you'd have realised that by now.
We may like it, we may not like it, but that's the way it is.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2013, 12:25:47 am by andyst79 »
Why are people so against Bryan Flynn? & who are these so called better managers?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2013, 12:32:22 am by RedJ »

Dean Saunders has worked with Cotterill too...

Dean Saunders was manager so they were his signings, Flynn obviously will have played some part in  some of the deals, but so do many scouts... I wouldn't give them the job either  :thumbsup:

I think in the summer (and in a new league) we need to go back to a SO'D type appointment (obviously not SO'D though)... Someone who can take the club forward and with an eye for the future footing of the club.

Can people honestly see Brian Flynn as a manager for 3-5yrs or more? spearheading the club to progress etc?

An experienced manager but who is also young. A manager who is proven at overachieving, yet potential to improve further. A manager who plays an attractive style of football and has a strong belief in a clubs youth policy and giving chances to them. A manager who is used to working on a very limited budget for the league they are in and a manager who is shrewd in the transfer market.

You probably know my first choice, but he's not the only one who has most/all of those attributes. The manager is the most important role for a 'team' so therefore should be paid the most attention and should have the most investment put into getting the right one.

I'm aware of that. But Flynn worked with him through the Welsh youth system too, and so I'd imagine he'd have been a big part of him wanting to be here too.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2013, 01:20:02 am by Akinfenwa »
Flynn only officially joined the club as a scout the Monday after the York cup game, so the core of the team was already in place by then. Cotterill was one of the first summer signings we made towards the end of June.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2013, 01:31:25 am by RedJ »
Flynn only officially joined the club as a scout the Monday after the York cup game, so the core of the team was already in place by then. Cotterill was one of the first summer signings we made towards the end of June.

I'd forgotten about that.

In that case I retract my statements :P

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2013, 01:59:31 am by Chris »

He was involved with the club during pre-season. He was at the Cleethorpes friendly.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2013, 02:44:03 am by MachoMadness »
Why are people so against Bryan Flynn? & who are these so called better managers?

Because we've lost a couple. When we won at Stevenage everyone was calling for him to get the job, now he's not the man for the job all of a sudden.

As Mush said, Flynn was fast tracked into the job because the players piped up and vouched for him before the interviews started. With us doing well at the top of the league, why would you want to unsettle things?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2013, 08:46:34 am by Donnybax »
No-one else was even interviewed!!!
What?!
No, I'm not joking. Just read part of an interview with JR and it's on the unofficial site. And Flynn 'will be part of the management team for many years to come'
So now we know. And I still come back to my original point 'No other established manager would come to a club without money to spend'. So I guess why bother interviewing anyone else?
why does it matter? He is our manager why can't we just support him?

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 15, 2013, 09:38:27 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Dont understand all the negativity towards BF.  A couple of bad results and everyone is out for him.  We have key players out and a small squad. 

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2013, 10:03:43 am by VivaRovers »
People do realise that the aged Bryan Flynn is only two years older than the young yet experienced Sean O'Driscoll.

As for 'now we know why he got the job', isn't that quite obvious? Of the managers being lined up/rumoured/linked to the club there were none who could boast as much experience or as good a track record as Bryan Flynn does. He turned the fortunes of Wrexham around during 11 years there. He kept Swansea in the League and laid the foundations for their subsequent rise. He nurtured, developed and managed a very successful and impressive Wales' Under-21 side. Managed an international side.

Add to all of these factors that he wanted the job, was already on the payroll, and was the choice of the players (and a large percentage of the fans) and it is pretty clear why he was appointed.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2013, 10:06:43 am by oggycompton »
Dont understand all the negativity towards BF.  A couple of bad results and everyone is out for him.  We have key players out and a small squad. 

Exactly.

Also, if you were interviewing for a job and the first person you interviewed you were mightily impressed with, why would you waste time and interview other people if you already have your man?

Stop looking for reasons to hate this guy, its like most of you actually want him to fail. Get behind the team.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2013, 10:28:39 am by BigKeif »
So much negativity yet we are still second in league and having our blip in the season which EVERY club as a blip when at the top then come bouncing back. I am sure Bournemouth and Swindon have theirs to come yet so why worry? Why not support the manager and have faith instead of acting like Wednesday and United fans, where one week they win and best in the world and when they lose the next week, it's end of the world and that's their season finished until the week after. Tbh we moan about their fans doing this but majority of our fans do the same so were no better. Think it's about time you all stop moaning and use your energy to support the team. Like I have said every team as their blip and am sure we will be fine.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2013, 12:27:23 pm by RobTheRover »
The club never actually stated they had interviewed "5 or 6" managers.  They said they had drawn up a shortlist of 5 or 6 managers.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2013, 12:31:00 pm by hoolahoop »
The club never actually stated they had interviewed "5 or 6" managers.  They said they had drawn up a shortlist of 5 or 6 managers.

That's exactly what they said so can we have an end to this daft speculation please ???

TinyPortal © 2005-2012