Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:20:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So, what date do we think Sunak will call the General Election?  (Read 616 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Given the Tories are currently trailing in the polls by some 20 points when is Sunak likely to call the GE in order that his party aren’t wiped from the ‘political map’ for generations?

He needn’t call an election until January 2025 of course,but he’s already said that 2024 would be ‘election year’.

Given the local elections are in May & they’re unlikely to offer any ‘respite’ for the government, with them likely to lose even more safe seats so I’d rule out a Spring election.

Sunaks problem then is that as the better weather comes the boat crossings of refugees will inevitably increase in number. Whether he gets his ‘Rwanda Plan’ off the ground (no pun intended) or not, those boats will continue coming.

A former advisor to John Mayor one Lord Finkelstein (you couldn’t make it up!) warned there were risks on ‘holding on to power’, “When I look back on the 1997 elections I think the one thing we could have done to mitigate the size of our defeat was to have gone slightly earlier”.

Sunak will be hoping his chancellor’s decisions will help improve the economy & give the country a ‘feel good factor’ come the autumn.

I personally think he’ll go as ‘late’ as he can believing things can only get better, can only get better if we see it through…sorry, the song lyrics kicked in there.

Given the US Presidential Elections are on November 5th, I don’t think he’ll wait until they’re ‘out of the way’ before calling a GE so given all of that I’m plumping for late October, the 24th to be precise.

Any thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: So, what date do we think Sunak will call the General Election?
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2024, 08:32:26 pm by scawsby steve »
What's this got to do with football?

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2024, 09:24:47 pm by KingKendrick »
Did you mean to post this in the conservatives club forum? The only points I care about are 3 at the weekend.

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2024, 10:02:19 pm by In the box »
Given the Tories are currently trailing in the polls by some 20 points when is Sunak likely to call the GE in order that his party aren’t wiped from the ‘political map’ for generations?

He needn’t call an election until January 2025 of course,but he’s already said that 2024 would be ‘election year’.

Given the local elections are in May & they’re unlikely to offer any ‘respite’ for the government, with them likely to lose even more safe seats so I’d rule out a Spring election.

Sunaks problem then is that as the better weather comes the boat crossings of refugees will inevitably increase in number. Whether he gets his ‘Rwanda Plan’ off the ground (no pun intended) or not, those boats will continue coming.

A former advisor to John Mayor one Lord Finkelstein (you couldn’t make it up!) warned there were risks on ‘holding on to power’, “When I look back on the 1997 elections I think the one thing we could have done to mitigate the size of our defeat was to have gone slightly earlier”.

Sunak will be hoping his chancellor’s decisions will help improve the economy & give the country a ‘feel good factor’ come the autumn.

I personally think he’ll go as ‘late’ as he can believing things can only get better, can only get better if we see it through…sorry, the song lyrics kicked in there.

Given the US Presidential Elections are on November 5th, I don’t think he’ll wait until they’re ‘out of the way’ before calling a GE so given all of that I’m plumping for late October, the 24th to be precise.

Any thoughts?
Tomorrow if he thought he was going to get a result !!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2024, 11:36:46 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Whoops, originally posted on the wrong ‘forum’ fellas.

Hope I don’t make the same mistake on polling day.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:08:26 am by Colin C No.3 »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2024, 02:59:04 am by SydneyRover »
Col

''Given the Tories are currently trailing in the polls by some 20 points when is Sunak likely to call the GE in order that his party aren’t wiped from the ‘political map’ for generations?''

I would think that as many ministries as poss will be tightening their belts as much as they can and an election will be called if the proposed tax cuts (which should be spent on growth) get any upward shift at all in the polls. The rw media will fall into line behind the government along with all the dissenters that appear to want to give them 5 more years.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
I think as late as poss. Cold, bad weather is always a plus for the Tory vote. Interesting how both Xmas and the US elections might affect things. As distractions they could both take the heat off the Tories who are likely to benefit from news that is less focused on the GE. But then, if Labour begin to slip down the greasy poles that late October date could look attractive.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012