Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:21:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Turnbull  (Read 4807 times)

RobbieDRFC

• Forum Member
Turnbull
« on October 26, 2013, 10:21:54 am by RobbieDRFC »
Did anyone else worry about the stat, he's had to makes saves then any other keeper this season! Where does the blame lie, defence or midfield?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Turnbull
« Reply #1 on October 26, 2013, 10:49:31 am by Chris Black come back »
Other disturbing fact which differs from last season. So far this season we have not managed to earn a single point when we have conceded first. You could put this down to backbone or more likely it is very hard to score in this league and if you don't keep a clean sheet then you have little chance of getting anything from a game - unless you have a 20 goal a season man.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 26, 2013, 10:56:06 am by mrfrostsdad »
More saves than any keeper in all four divisions.
I'm not sure what it tells us tbh. Poor defending? No midfield? Not holding it up well enough up front? Maybe a bit of all three.

Am I also correct that we've conceded more goals in the last ten minutes than anyone else?

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 26, 2013, 11:55:14 am by andyst79 »
Good job we havnt got woods in goal still we would be well & truly f****d!

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 26, 2013, 12:02:23 pm by roversam »
yes I agree, boro would have got double figures with him in goal.

Biarge Bob

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 26, 2013, 12:43:38 pm by Biarge Bob »
What that tells you, is that he MADE the saves.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 26, 2013, 04:38:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
What that tells you, is that he MADE the saves.

And after the last couple of seasons we shouldn't half be grateful for that.

bluewiggy123

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 26, 2013, 05:14:29 pm by bluewiggy123 »
ross turnbull is the signing of the season
 :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid: :rtid:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 27, 2013, 01:16:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I'm not sure what it tells us tbh. Poor defending? No midfield? Not holding it up well enough up front? Maybe a bit of all three.

Am I also correct that we've conceded more goals in the last ten minutes than anyone else?

For me Mrfrost him making more saves than anybody else is a number of factors,we are a small club battling against far bigger teams than us, most of who have better players than us,every week for us to get at least a point the majority of our players have to be on their game,so we are under a lot of pressure in most games,whereas the better teams have more possession further up the field,we've had quite a few changes to the back four which means lack of understanding of each others strengths,the centre back partnership isn't functioning as well as it needs to,we haven't enough ability in the midfield to hold onto the ball when we play Keegan and Furman together,and finally the formation he's picking doesn't encourage partnerships,4-4-2 is seen as old fashioned but you play to the strengths your team has,in that formation everybody knows they're job,4-3-3 i'm not convinced they do.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 27, 2013, 09:59:20 am by DRFCSouth »
This stat proves there is an underlying problem based on the fact we are not bottom of the table and before the last two games, hadn't conceded that many. It's the sort of stat I would expect of a bottom of the table team getting hammered every week. It also says Turnbull is doing a great job.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 27, 2013, 11:15:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
As I've banged in about on other posts, we have had a stupendously tough start to the season.

Let's see how the numbers pan out when we've played a few more of the strugglers.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 27, 2013, 11:36:25 am by The Red Baron »
Brian Clough used to say "you want your 'keeper to be shot at" and he distrusted some goalies who made big reputations because they played behind excellent defences. I think he'd have liked Turnbull, though he'd have probably had a word about some of his decision-making (eg on the fourth goal).

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 27, 2013, 12:20:44 pm by not on facebook »
Well look at This way with the cold winter moNths drawing in,at least turnbull will not be cold during his 90mins as all the jumping and diving
About will keep him warm.

When you think about it since he is doing Such a good job,once his season
Long contract is up rovers will have to pull a rabbit out Of the hat to keep
Him at KMS

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 27, 2013, 12:27:29 pm by Mr1Croft »
Other disturbing fact which differs from last season. So far this season we have not managed to earn a single point when we have conceded first. You could put this down to backbone or more likely it is very hard to score in this league and if you don't keep a clean sheet then you have little chance of getting anything from a game - unless you have a 20 goal a season man.

But if you put the shoe on the other foot, we haven't lost a game this season after scoring first.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 27, 2013, 01:13:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
We have had to play most of the teams who are inform apart from Friday. Turnball according to sky has made the most saves I all divisions, he has kept the scores respectable in most games.

Another stat which needs to improve in our next games are goals for, in the last eight games we have scored five goals and a lucky home goal. Three of the five were scored by Macheda, one from Brown and one from Robinson. We need to improve this in the games against teams at our level. Not just the strikers but the midfield players must start to chip in.

If the players we have, cannot achieve this then PD needs to look at loans to enables goals to be scored.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 27, 2013, 11:25:01 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We are letting too many goals in,we are not getting enough clean sheets,four in thirteen,but if you look at most of the other teams they are letting goals in as well,that's why on the sheets in the bookies when they price up whether both teams will score or not,for them both to score most of the games in our league are priced odds on,because quite a few weeks both teams have scored in every game,Derby in eighth have conceded twenty one(25 for),Bournemouth twenty seven!!(20 for),even Forest in sixth,counted as one of the best teams,they've let fifteen in,though we need to tighten up a bit,before the last two games we'd conceded twelve which was decent,it's the lack of regular goal scoring that is our teams major fault,plenty of creativity with our strongest team out,but apart from Robinson who's going to finish them?,Chris Brown a good target man but not the best finisher,we need to sort the goalscoring out and quick.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 28, 2013, 07:12:27 am by DRFCSouth »
It is all credit to Turnbull that he has made all these saves. Tough start to the season or not, it's not really a stat to be proud of. The other teams are getting too many shots off, fact.  Whether we park the bus in the middle to prevent this I don't know. The whole team is not defending and to me, Turnbull must be up there as one of the players of the season so far. Before the last two games, we had only conceded 12. At Middlesborough, it just seemed that both the midfield and defence were flat footed in our defensive third. They were literally stepping around our players and getting shots off.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 28, 2013, 09:07:53 am by roverssam1879 »
Cant blame turnbull, hes doing alright. Its the shocking deffense we have, we need to spend instead of looking at more loans.

Right back and left back are needed without a doubt.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 28, 2013, 11:26:47 am by Tiddysdad »
I didn't see a mid-field on friday Jones won every header but it always landed at the feet of a brough player so came right back at us. Duffy has great control going forward but can't defend and lacks the nerve to hit it when in front of goal. Dean F disappeared leaving Keegan stretched trying to do stuff he's not really there for. Keegan's a stop and give player not an attacking midfielder he got caught out to much in their half on friday and conceded to many free kicks as he had to tackle running back - where as he's great when they come at him.

I could go on and on - but we ARE in the championship not the conference - We should be proud of that fact - The players will be hurting no one like to loose - We now need to put friday behind us and sing are hearts out like we did at 'brough not slagg them off.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 01, 2013, 08:44:28 pm by eastender »
I'm not sure what it tells us
tbh. Poor defending? No midfield? Not holding it up well enough up front? Maybe a bit of all three.

It tells us that Turnbull has played every league game this season , how many teams can say that.
Barnsley for example have fielded 3 keepers this season already , Luke Steel, Mike Pollit and Jack Butland who i bet have made more saves between them than Turnbull.
So that Sky stat is slightly misleading

neil grainger

« Reply #20 on November 01, 2013, 10:01:09 pm by neil grainger »
We are letting too many goals in,we are not getting enough clean sheets,four in thirteen,but if you look at most of the other teams they are letting goals in as well,that's why on the sheets in the bookies when they price up whether both teams will score or not,for them both to score most of the games in our league are priced odds on,because quite a few weeks both teams have scored in every game,Derby in eighth have conceded twenty one(25 for),Bournemouth twenty seven!!(20 for),even Forest in sixth,counted as one of the best teams,they've let fifteen in,though we need to tighten up a bit,before the last two games we'd conceded twelve which was decent,it's the lack of regular goal scoring that is our teams major fault,plenty of creativity with our strongest team out,but apart from Robinson who's going to finish them?,Chris Brown a good target man but not the best finisher,we need to sort the goalscoring out and quick.

Some good points but please put some paragraphs in....It's so hard to read

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 02, 2013, 01:19:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Some good points but please put some paragraphs in....It's so hard to read

Okay sir i'll bear that in mind :blush:,The defence the last two games ,have had a job akin to bailing out on a sinking ship,pressure,pressure,pressure,i'd like to think they will have worked hard in training and righted some of the wrongs,one of the main one's ball retention,and posing a threat further forward.

To ease some of the pressure back their,i'm convinced we will be okay with a bit more quality coming in,in the coming weeks in De Val and hopefully Forrester,we need either Macheda back or another striker in on loan,i don't think Chris Brown is far from needing a rest,why not put Billy Paynter in when he does.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 02, 2013, 08:34:30 am by hoolahoop »
I agree with BST on this  one , it's far too easy to get angry over a stat which at present could well look far better7/8 games down the line when we have players back from injury and we have played some of the lower half of Championship teams.
As for Turnbull he is a coup and a half signing wise . Rtid

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 03, 2013, 10:29:15 am by mjg »
poor fella

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 03, 2013, 11:07:16 am by RedRover45 »
poor fella

You are Mad Mick/IC1967/MarydeneRover blah blah blah and I claim my £5 blah blah blah
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:11:36 am by RedRover45 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012