Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:25:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

3 Points or nice football

3 points
42 (87.5%)
nice football occational point
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: 3 points or nice football  (Read 2112 times)

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
3 points or nice football
« on January 07, 2013, 06:22:16 pm by Tiddysdad »
I enjoy watching the passing game but I don't want to go back to saying "We where the best footballing side" and being at the bottom of the league. Can Managers change their spots ie Play football to suit the league they're in.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mjg

• Forum Member
Re: 3 points or nice football
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2013, 06:23:27 pm by mjg »
both

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2013, 06:25:29 pm by IDM »
Points first then entertainment once we've got points in the bag.

I'd settle for mid-table comfort (in any division) balanced with entertainment.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2013, 06:27:45 pm by whisky »
In league 1 points every time. In the championship I'd be happy to be a mid table side renowned for playing entertaining football.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2013, 06:35:09 pm by Tiddysdad »
Does the fact that you've come away from a game with 3 points improve our vision of how we played. How many time have you walked away saying great game when realy we were rubbish?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2013, 06:36:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Both. Swansea did it. Why not us?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2013, 06:36:58 pm by IDM »
Does the fact that you've come away from a game with 3 points improve our vision of how we played. How many time have you walked away saying great game when realy we were rubbish?

No, saturday being a prime example!  Am always well aware of when we've got lucky or had one moment of magic in a dull game, and also vice versa ie 2008/9.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2013, 06:41:49 pm by southwestexile »
Wtf?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2013, 06:42:14 pm by MachoMadness »
Whichever one gets us promoted out of this shit league. Then worry about getting t'other one to follow.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2013, 06:45:22 pm by Rios »
Can we have somewhere in the middle please?  Saunders and SOD were two different ends of the spectrum.  I've been a big critic of Saunders' "style" of football and Saturdays game was just as turgidly boring as most of the home games have been this season.  But I also remember the mind numbingly dull, tippy tappy, back boneless SOD teams too.  I'd rather have the points and the footy be somewhere in between the two.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2013, 06:51:01 pm by dickos1 »
3 points everyday of the week,
You don't get nothing for performances at the end of the year, and personally I felt a lot better sat night after Colchester than I did on New Year's Day evening.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2013, 07:12:15 pm by RoversAlias »
You've pretty much asked everyone "would you like 3 points or 1?"

No surprise the outcome of that one then.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2013, 07:30:38 pm by Tiddysdad »
You've pretty much asked everyone "would you like 3 points or 1?"

No surprise the outcome of that one then.

But isn't that whats been happening this season - we've been getting 3 points under a style that in previous years (SOD Years) we were the victims of. Yes there have been some outstanding personal performances ie ROB J, but I wouldn't say we are a footballing side anymore. We a great Football TEAM. They work hard for each other and grined out results. I would rather have that than 1 point and not getting the shirt dirty.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2013, 08:08:44 pm by River Don »
Play nice football well and you're more likely to get 3 points than any other way.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2013, 08:10:20 pm by IDM »
Play nice football well and you're more likely to get 3 points.

Not in the first half of 2008/9 methinks.....

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2013, 08:30:58 pm by MachoMadness »
It'd be funny if this poll was taken around Christmas 2008. I guarantee not a single person would seriously consider taking performances over results. You most want what you can't have, most of the time.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2013, 08:44:57 pm by Mr1Croft »
I'm struggling to understand what the OP is asking or the point he is making here. Why does nice football not mean 3 points? And we don't have sufficient evidence to draw that conclusion:

In League One both SOD's teams and Saunder's teams picked up 3 points while playing both types of football. Away from home we have picked up more wins under Saunders play but we have already lost as many games at home this season as we did for the entire 07/08 season.

In the Championship playing "nice football" worked for the majority of 2 and half seasons. Yes there were times when we walked away happy of the performance and struggling to wonder how we didn't win, but equally we were picking up points, the OP is making it out as if this never happened, which I think is an insult to what our team stood for so long. Going back to my point: After the SOD way fell apart the Saunders style of play never worked either in the Championship, yes you can say he never had his team and a losing mentality etc but the bottom line is what Saunders encourages wasn't any better than what SOD did, we won some we lost some but ultimately playing Saunders way for 39 games saw us relegated, and I believe that had SOD stayed in charge for the remaining 39 games last season we would have still been relegated.

If nice football doesn't equal 3 points then why are Swansea a premiership team? Why do Arsenal make the Champions League every year and why are Barcelona arguably the best team in the world?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2013, 09:35:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If only it was as black or white as that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012