Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:01:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Neil Harris  (Read 2591 times)

redarmi66

• Forum Member
Neil Harris
« on May 01, 2022, 08:04:58 am by redarmi66 »

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/amp/gillingham-manager-planning-summer-clear-out-266459/

Interesting interview, opens up about issues with playing staff, standards, budgets, recruitment, injuries… he takes on full responsibility for relegation and promises a real go in league 2.

Lots of similarities with us and he is a respected and experienced manager who still couldn’t keep them up.

I believe we will have the same discussions internally but we dont deliver them to the media in the same way.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 08:09:15 am by redarmi66 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Neil Harris
« Reply #1 on May 01, 2022, 08:32:22 am by Campsall rover »

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/amp/gillingham-manager-planning-summer-clear-out-266459/

Interesting interview, opens up about issues with playing staff, standards, budgets, recruitment, injuries… he takes on full responsibility for relegation and promises a real go in league 2.

Lots of similarities with us and he is a respected and experienced manager who still couldn’t keep them up.

I believe we will have the same discussions internally but we dont deliver them to the media in the same way.
He was scathing about the previous regime also. Said has been a shambles.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 01, 2022, 08:40:09 am by GazLaz »
Saw the interview. Looked all a bit forced to me. He’s a big name that’s gone in there and not improved them. GM has done a better job here, we are a better team than Gillingham now.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 01, 2022, 08:41:16 am by Donny Exile in York »
Said all 7 contracted players can go. Easier said than done.

Howecer clearly not happy at standards at the club. I hope we have the same passion and ruthless view of sorting things out.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 01, 2022, 08:44:02 am by Donny Exile in York »
Saw the interview. Looked all a bit forced to me. He’s a big name that’s gone in there and not improved them. GM has done a better job here, we are a better team than Gillingham now.

How do you come to that conclusion. They were below us when he came in and got them to 40 points and a final.day outcome. We clawed some points back when the final curtain had already called in dead rubber games. Plus they beat us in a massive six pointer in March when on the day we were dreadful.

Your post is a fine example of the happy chappy spin on show on this forum. If we act in as much denial as your post were in big trouble!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 08:46:46 am by Donny Exile in York »

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 01, 2022, 08:47:52 am by Rovers91 »

GM had a January transfer window to bring players in Harris didnt, he had to work with what was already there.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 01, 2022, 08:53:49 am by GazLaz »

How do you come to that conclusion. They were below us when he came in and got them to 40 points and a final.day outcome. We clawed some points back when the final curtain had already called in dead rubber games. Plus they beat us in a massive six pointer in March when on the day we were dreadful.

Your post is a fine example of the happy chappy spin on show on this forum. If we act in as much denial as your post were in big trouble!

All I’m saying is that managers don’t make as much difference to teams as people think. That’s a fact.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 01, 2022, 08:59:43 am by sedwardsdrfc »
We didn’t need that much of an improvement to stay up though. Those fine margins would have kept us up.

Believe it or not we’ve got a better side than Gillingham seeing them relegated does not justify GM’s performance.

Look to our own performance. We don’t play with much of a plan or identity it’s just pick 11 players and hope. Make a few subs at half time if it’s going wrong and hope again. We can’t continue like that
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:31:02 am by sedwardsdrfc »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 01, 2022, 09:28:26 am by Donny Exile in York »

All I’m saying is that managers don’t make as much difference to teams as people think. That’s a fact.

I disagree wholeheartedly. A good manager makes ALL the difference. Whether that be Alex Ferguson and United fall from grace afterwards despite finances, or the impact of say Kopp, Howe, at lower levels how things changed when Dave Penny or Odriscoll came in, the improvement at Newcastle when Bobby Robson joined, to Gary Mills at York first time round. A manager can be the fundamental inspiration and catalyst for immediate turnaround in fortunes and footballing history is a wash with them. Motivation like from Warnock, Organisation and tactical nous, recruitment. Brian Clough success from the doldrums at Derby and Forest, to John Beck at Cambridge, John King at Tranmere, Alan Buckley at Grimsby to name a few over the years. I might not like him but Nathan Jones at Luton in more recent years. A huge impact. That's a fact.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:40:55 am by Donny Exile in York »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 01, 2022, 10:05:19 am by River Don »
A good manager makes all the difference but often it takes time to turnaround the ship.

Rovers are changing managers quite regularly now. That turnover doesn't help matters.

GM has the opportunity now to put his own stamp on things. If it doesn't work out, so be it, at this point I think it's a gamble worth taking.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 01, 2022, 10:57:02 am by rich1471 »
watch the interview on quest he slates the lot of them for not been good enough , really lays into them

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 01, 2022, 11:13:08 am by Bezza »
Obviously a good manager can make a big difference,

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 01, 2022, 11:27:30 am by Bessie Red »
We didn’t need that much of an improvement to stay up though. Those fine margins would have kept us up.

Believe it or not we’ve got a better side than Gillingham seeing them relegated does not justify GM’s performance.

Look to our own performance. We don’t play with much of a plan or identity it’s just pick 11 players and hope. Make a few subs at half time if it’s going wrong and hope again. We can’t continue like that
I disagree, I think we can see an identity starting to come through and we are certainly creating more chances than we had been doing in the first 3 quarters of the season.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 01, 2022, 11:27:45 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Said all 7 contracted players can go. Easier said than done.

Howecer clearly not happy at standards at the club. I hope we have the same passion and ruthless view of sorting things out.

Absolutely. You can come across in interviews as ruthless if you want but as Richie found out, the reality is different.

If you have bigger, more experienced squads then it's easier to apply that approach. Steve Evans used the scattergun approach but left big problems behind him as was laid bare at Rotherham.

It will be interesting to see how both clubs recover.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 01, 2022, 05:29:41 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It makes a huge difference when the manager thinks starting Dodoo and Hiwula up front is the answer in games

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 01, 2022, 08:48:56 pm by ravenrover »
 Come on, I take responsibility but it was all the previous managers fault!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 02, 2022, 11:28:31 am by Jonathan »
Come on, I take responsibility but it was all the previous managers fault!

Exactly, that was my take away from it too. Once you’ve blamed the regime, the previous manager and the players it’s very easy to give the old passive aggressive “I take full responsibility” and then lap up the plaudits from everyone taken in by it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 02, 2022, 12:01:53 pm by roversdude »
Just a thought Pontus did well managed to aid in two teams being relegated

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 04, 2022, 09:32:20 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Could almost say Pontus almost single handedly piloted both teams to forgotten lands and "Medway" for their replacements :chair:

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 04, 2022, 09:57:55 am by Reg of the Rovers »

Could almost say Pontus almost single handedly piloted both teams to forgotten lands and "Medway" for their replacements :chair:
I think we need CLH to get a forum team together for Only Connect, his use of puns requiring both historical / biblical and Kent geographical knowledge deserves a medal!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012