Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:37:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 55294 times)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #511 on July 31, 2019, 07:51:25 pm by Rovers Return »
I’ll be honest here! I appreciate he bagged 20+ goals although the second half of the season it was as dry as the Gobi desert. There’s a clue maybe.

Often I would purposely watch his body language and especially the actions and reactions between him and his teammates. It appeared to not be an altogether harmonious relationship as ‘billy big b*llocks’ would mouth of and flail his arms around with a sneer. I get the impression his teammates are thinking get the f**k off, at last.

I’m not that sad to see him go. I thought he might go to a Championship team and good luck to him. Unfortunately it’s a side wards move that I believe will be followed by a downward and out the door move. Not good enough for the Championship so even if Pompey succeed I think it may be bench at best for John when/if they get there.

I believe the timing of the move is entirely of John’s doing. He could and should have gone earlier to give us a chance to recruit but that’s not how footballers think or care.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #512 on July 31, 2019, 07:53:32 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Shhhh... the cheque hasn't cleared yet.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #513 on July 31, 2019, 07:56:08 pm by Filo »
Tomorrows pre match presser should be interesting

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #514 on July 31, 2019, 08:02:50 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
My last memory of John will be him nodding home against Charlton to send me (& 1300 others) into absolute dream land. Can't put a price on that. (Penalty miss is irrelevant)

Thanks John. Miss you already. Hope you get better treatment off the Pompy fans rather than the abuse you've had to take off some of our supporters who've never kicked a ball in their life.

Unbelievable game. Although we lost I think it’s up there in my top 5 games. The atmosphere and limbs in the away were just incredible.

The Andy Butler song I'll take to the grave with me. Brilliant.

In the second half a couple of Scottish lads came and stood next to me.
They were former school pals and still good friends with Ali Crawford.
We have some great banter and when Butts scored they jumped all over me and the other lads in our vicinity, like you do when it’s mates you have always known.
Brilliant atmosphere.

By the way, after the game I realised they had nicked my wallet !!

(That last bit isn’t true).

Brilliant that. Some commitment from his mates to treck down from Scotland to witness that. Sure they enjoyed every minute of it!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #515 on July 31, 2019, 08:09:42 pm by drfchound »
My last memory of John will be him nodding home against Charlton to send me (& 1300 others) into absolute dream land. Can't put a price on that. (Penalty miss is irrelevant)

Thanks John. Miss you already. Hope you get better treatment off the Pompy fans rather than the abuse you've had to take off some of our supporters who've never kicked a ball in their life.

Unbelievable game. Although we lost I think it’s up there in my top 5 games. The atmosphere and limbs in the away were just incredible.

The Andy Butler song I'll take to the grave with me. Brilliant.

In the second half a couple of Scottish lads came and stood next to me.
They were former school pals and still good friends with Ali Crawford.
We have some great banter and when Butts scored they jumped all over me and the other lads in our vicinity, like you do when it’s mates you have always known.
Brilliant atmosphere.

By the way, after the game I realised they had nicked my wallet !!

(That last bit isn’t true).

Brilliant that. Some commitment from his mates to treck down from Scotland to witness that. Sure they enjoyed every minute of it!

TBH Moncaster, the atmosphere in our end for that match was the best I have experienced for years.
Very special.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #516 on July 31, 2019, 08:16:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'd be amazed if this doesn't go through. From JM's perspective it's a good move having played at Pompey before and played for Jackett before.

How can we not appreciate his contribution. He delivered, and was consistent. He always put a lot of energy into his game and like most strikers, he showed frustration at times and also couldn't hit a barn door at times.

There's a reason he's gone/going for well over £1m and I wish him all the best.

When one door closes, another one opens and we are in a good position (although it might not seem it right now).

Alot of clubs are trimming their squads and are feeling the pinch. If we're smart, we could take advantage without putting all our eggs in one basket.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #517 on July 31, 2019, 08:19:40 pm by PDX_Rover »
A master-stroke by Pompey to scupper us at the eleventh hour.

Marquis and Wilks scored 37 league goals between them. We need strikers who can make up that sort of shortfall.

Moore clearly can't make up his mind about players as he was going to make decisions days ago and time is running out. If we are not in the top half of the table at Christmas the love affair with Moore will soon turn sour. A loss to Gillingham will give us a negative start.

Another ridiculous posts from the new master of ridiculously unfounded posts.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #518 on July 31, 2019, 08:39:11 pm by jmt23 »
I think the timing of it all this pre season hasn't been great, however, I personally think DM will be quite happy, he is getting a proper chance to create his own team, with what would seem like a decent budget. So prehaps GM & JM have done us a favour?

If anybody was there on Saturday, we seemed to manage ok against what I think will be a decent championship team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #519 on July 31, 2019, 08:41:26 pm by drfchound »
Pre season games are not often played with the same intensity as a league match.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #520 on July 31, 2019, 08:44:08 pm by since-1969 »
Yes and this is from a club that dived from then premier League into L2 and is was run by the supporters ...of which there are many . They show ambitions of getting back to the PL and it’s abundantly obvious that we can’t even persuade a half decent player to stay by paying him what he wants as we haven’t got a tenth of JMs ambition or build a team around his goals . Who’s next Whiteman or Wright . It’s just pathetic and short sighted .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #521 on July 31, 2019, 08:48:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yes and this is from a club that dived from then premier League into L2 and is was run by the supporters ...of which there are many . They show ambitions of getting back to the PL and it’s abundantly obvious that we can’t even persuade a half decent player to stay by paying him what he wants as we haven’t got a tenth of JMs ambition or build a team around his goals . Who’s next Whiteman or Wright . It’s just pathetic and short sighted .

They're owned by Michael Eisner who is worth more than our owners.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #522 on July 31, 2019, 09:03:25 pm by idler »
If he wants to move nearer to his wife's family then matching their wages wouldn't keep him here.
The Rovers and JM have done very well for each other let's hope that we now both do well separately.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #523 on July 31, 2019, 09:05:22 pm by IDM »

You’re pathetic with your jibes at the club..

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #524 on July 31, 2019, 09:38:08 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Stop supporting the Rovers then.

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #525 on July 31, 2019, 09:47:47 pm by SouthStandFan »
JM has done us proud. I have never been a big fan personally as he does a lot of moaning and sulking, but maybe it's easy to say that from the stands. Goal record speaks for itself and he will be sorely missed. Good luck to him and I hope he finds success at Portsmouth.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #526 on July 31, 2019, 09:49:09 pm by drfchound »
JM has done us proud. I have never been a big fan personally as he does a lot of moaning and sulking, but maybe it's easy to say that from the stands. Goal record speaks for itself and he will be sorely missed. Good luck to him and I hope he finds success at Portsmouth.

......not too much success.
He might prevent us getting automatic promotion.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #527 on July 31, 2019, 10:02:30 pm by dknward2 »
Thanks for the memories but he’s a player for another team so don’t care about him anymore hope he’s a massive failure and doesn’t score at all having 15,000 Pompey fans on your back is a lot harder to deal with than 500 rovers fans

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #528 on July 31, 2019, 10:05:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
Presume with their cash they have a few decent strikers there? Interesting to see how he gets on maybe playing in a two, or having to compete with other players for a one. Good luck to him.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #529 on July 31, 2019, 10:45:59 pm by Colin C No.3 »

My thoughts too South Stand. We have to hope /believe/trust that DM was aware of this coming from the day he became Rovers manager & has merely been waiting for the £1m + to be ‘given’ In order to bring in a suitable replacement or alternatives,

JM is not DRFC. He’s made a mark here with his goals tally & those will be forever on our clubs record books. But this club will move on now without you. I hope you achieve all you desire in football as long as it’s not at our expense!

All the best for the future JM, you won’t be forgotten at this ‘little club’. I hope you make as bigger mark on Pompey’s history, but somehow I doubt it.

Hope you have a good season but that both you & Pompey will spend it forever looking up at us above you.

RTID
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:59:11 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #530 on August 01, 2019, 11:16:40 am by Pancho Regan »
JM has stated that a major factor in his decision to join Pompey was his family. I respect that.
He speaks fondly and positively about his time at Rovers, where he was given a "second home" and a place to belong and to feel valued.

Now, largely for personal reasons, he has moved on. He goes with my sincere thanks for his incredible efforts for my team, and with my best wishes.

The Club tried to keep him. He was offered a new contract, but he declined it.
No blame is attached to the Club for JM's departure in my opinion, nor for the timing of it, however unfortunate that timing may be.

So we roll up our sleeves, we trust in the Board and in our new Manager, and we move on.

Well, I do anyway.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #531 on August 01, 2019, 11:19:33 am by IDM »
 :that:

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #532 on August 01, 2019, 11:22:36 am by Metalmicky »
 :that: also

TinyPortal © 2005-2012