Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:13:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Euros Thread  (Read 36903 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
England/Euros Thread
« on June 09, 2021, 08:44:34 pm by belton rover »
Can anyone recommend a forum dedicated to England or this year’s European Championship?
I really want to get excited, but I’m not feeling it yet.

Edit# I’ve slightly changed the title of the thread - lets just have our own.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:00:43 pm by belton rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRCraig

• Forum Member
Re: England/Euros Forum
« Reply #1 on June 09, 2021, 09:37:18 pm by DRCraig »
Must admit I will not be watching every game. Got Grand daughter visiting. I like other Sports. Both codes of Rugby and Speedway. They will come before International football. It goes without saying Rovers are my no 1 in Sport.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2021, 09:40:30 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Must admit I will not be watching every game. Got Grand daughter visiting. I like other Sports. Both codes of Rugby and Speedway. They will come before International football. It goes without saying Rovers are my no 1 in Sport.

Christ you must really hate International football if that comes first.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 09, 2021, 11:16:37 pm by Donnyjim »
Can’t see Ingerrrland getting past the quarters. Their defence will be their Achilles heal. There is always a mistake in John Stones. Slightly amused that they are second favourites - wtf. France are the big tournament team and have been there before.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2021, 11:31:31 pm by ChrisBx »
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a separate sub forum dedicated to the Euros.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 10, 2021, 09:18:17 am by silent majority »
Can anyone recommend a forum dedicated to England or this year’s European Championship?
I really want to get excited, but I’m not feeling it yet.

There's quite a few on Facebook, including the official one, which is where the hard core will be. To get on that one though you need to be a member of the travel club.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 10, 2021, 09:33:21 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I've got a tenner on England not to qualify at 14/1.

Irrespective of that I can't wait for it to start.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 10, 2021, 11:11:25 am by Padge_DRFC »

Pretty much through if you win a match with 3rd places through

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 10, 2021, 11:16:13 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

Pretty much through if you win a match with 3rd places through

Yeah, it's probably a stupid bet given the 3rd place finishes etc but you never know!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 10, 2021, 06:15:27 pm by scawsby steve »
Given that it's only the best four 3rd place teams, and England's group is potentially tough, there is indeed a fair possibility that England could fail to make the Quarter Finals.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 10, 2021, 07:05:29 pm by Padge_DRFC »
7 points we'll get. Draw to Croatia. Scotland game will be close they genuinely always are despite our belittling of them.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 10, 2021, 07:19:42 pm by Red wizard »
I honestly believe we have the best chance in years to win something or make the final. This group of kids should be making the semi finals for the next 2 tournaments minimum. No side will want to play us.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 10, 2021, 07:33:58 pm by sha66y »
If this is a “ positive comments “ only thread,
I say Cmon England’s millionaire, beat them other millionaires and get a shaving deal on prime time…...
however if different opinions are allowed I say ….I hope the over paid sheisters get mullered and humiliated from the getgo….and end up in pantomime!

This is only my opinion and should not affect the outcome of any games being played…

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 10, 2021, 07:36:54 pm by drfchound »
I say Cmon England’s millionaire, beat them other millionaires and get a shaving deal on prime time…...
however if different opinions are allowed I say ….I hope the over paid sheisters get mullered and humiliated from the getgo….and end up in pantomime!

This is only my opinion and should not affect the outcome of any games being played…

You shouldn’t feel lonely with that opinion.
There are always plenty of people who like to knock the England football team.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 10, 2021, 07:46:40 pm by Janso »

Yet again, not once has it been said that this is a "positive comments only" thread.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 10, 2021, 07:52:00 pm by sha66y »

Yet again, not once has it been said that this is a "positive comments only" thread.

Did you miss the word “ if” …..this implies a possible humorous narrative in this context…?

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 10, 2021, 08:52:46 pm by ChrisBx »
I think we've got a great chance of a successful tournament this year. We're good enough to reach the latter stages of the tournament which will be at Wembley.

If we do win our group, which should be our aim, we are likely to face one of France, Portugal or Germany in the first knockout stage. I wouldn't be confident of beating France, however the other two are opponents we should be going up against with some genuine belief that we can beat.

In terms of our strongest line up, I'd go with:

Pickford
Walker/James, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell
Mount, Rice, Foden
Grealish, Kane, Rashford

Maguire won't be fit for the first game so I'd expect Mings to start. We have good depth at full back and attack so there's a lot of decisions for Soutgate to make.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: England/Euros Thread
« Reply #17 on June 10, 2021, 09:25:22 pm by NickDRFC »
The team I’d play:

Pickford
Walker Stones White Shaw (or Chilwell, nothing between them)
Rice Bellingham Mount
Grealish Kane Sterling

Sterling ahead of Foden probably the most controversial and most likely unpopular call but his pace and positioning stretches teams and we know he partners well with Kane. If he isn’t up to it then there are plenty of replacements there. You could also make a case for Foden wide right, Mount a bit deeper and Bellingham missing out.

That said I expect Southgate to pick

Pickford
James Walker Stones Mings Chilwell
Rice Phillips
Mount Kane Rashford

I’d rather play a traffic cone than Mings. Similar football ability and less likely to forearm smash an opponent.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 10, 2021, 10:00:47 pm by GazLaz »
Sterling and Rashford shouldn’t start. They have been run into the ground and are bang out of form.

Another worrying thing is that he will play three centre halves. He’s a guesser Southgate, terrible manager.

He seems a great guy though and should be shipped off into an office at the FA after this event.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 10, 2021, 10:09:44 pm by belton rover »
I’ve got a funny feeling that Grealish will shine.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 10, 2021, 10:19:47 pm by drfchound »
Mount could peak at this tournament.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 10, 2021, 11:45:56 pm by DRCraig »
Semi final at best for England.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 11, 2021, 06:57:32 am by NickDRFC »
Sterling and Rashford shouldn’t start. They have been run into the ground and are bang out of form.

Another worrying thing is that he will play three centre halves. He’s a guesser Southgate, terrible manager.

He seems a great guy though and should be shipped off into an office at the FA after this event.

Not sure how you’d say Sterling has been run into the ground - he was in and out of City’s team at the end of the season so he’s probably quite fresh. Certainly out of form but pace and width are important to this team so I’d still start him. Rashford apparently carrying an injury and I agree he wouldn’t play for me.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 11, 2021, 11:32:22 am by pib »

The three CB's thing would really make no sense at all. He hasn't played that system with England in ages, including both of the warm-up games for the tournament.

Agree on Sterling/Rashford. He's got to find a way to get Grealish, Mount and Foden in from the start IMO.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 11, 2021, 11:38:53 am by GazLaz »

Not sure how you’d say Sterling has been run into the ground - he was in and out of City’s team at the end of the season so he’s probably quite fresh. Certainly out of form but pace and width are important to this team so I’d still start him. Rashford apparently carrying an injury and I agree he wouldn’t play for me.

That’s why his form has dipped and he couldn’t get into the City team. He’s been run into the ground.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 11, 2021, 11:43:33 am by Filo »
I wouldn’t have Pickford in goal either, too much of a liability

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 11, 2021, 11:46:43 am by DonnyNoel »

I think Southgate will go with him on the basis he's never let England down and has solid distribution. Hopefully it's Henderson but can see it going either way. Post tournament, if Henderson is Utd's #1 and playing regular Champions League football as well then I can't see how he can be ignored.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 11, 2021, 11:50:54 am by DonnyNoel »

The three CB's thing would really make no sense at all. He hasn't played that system with England in ages, including both of the warm-up games for the tournament.

Agree on Sterling/Rashford. He's got to find a way to get Grealish, Mount and Foden in from the start IMO.

I think he must at least have a back three on his mind to take Coady who you rarely see in a back 4 at Wolves. I was fearful if Maguire isn't fit he'll go to a back 3 but I was very impressed with White against Romania. Maybe he can still play a back 4 if Maguire isn't fit.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 11, 2021, 11:58:27 am by NickDRFC »

I think he must at least have a back three on his mind to take Coady who you rarely see in a back 4 at Wolves. I was fearful if Maguire isn't fit he'll go to a back 3 but I was very impressed with White against Romania. Maybe he can still play a back 4 if Maguire isn't fit.

I really hope so, you lose so much potential in this team by sacrificing an attacking player for another centre back. I think Southgate is all about caution first but I hope to be proven wrong.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 11, 2021, 12:12:50 pm by GazLaz »

Pickford has been really good for Everton recently. Far better form than he was in a year ago.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012