Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:14:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: GM confirmed  (Read 22036 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Re: GM confirmed
« Reply #30 on December 29, 2021, 09:53:42 am by Canadian Rover »
Very pleased with this appointment- he's brought in a different mood to the club. Alongside Sinclair I look forward to seeing them backed for recruitment.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 29, 2021, 09:54:13 am by Donny Exile in York »
Only took a month to appoint internally.  Sums it all up.

And if they'd have done it within a week you'd have criticised them for not interviewing lots of other more experienced coaches. Jeez.

Its pathetic SM and you know it. I like McSheffrey as a person and will support him, as a character far far preferable to Wellens but once our results follow a similar pattern in 2 months time he is going to need that character.. if they wanted to appoint McSheffrey they could have done so in a week.. why wait til after the Sunderland game, what was the point? Our decision making is so ponderous no wonder we were left scrambling about last minute on transfer deadline day. Great to be a family club but we are too nice as a club and too slow to take action.. if Wellens wasn't the man, that was also clear two months earlier following the thrashing at ipswich...

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 29, 2021, 09:54:51 am by River Don »
This appointment makes sense, I think Gary has stabilised the ship and deserves this opportunity and I'm pleased he's taken it.

With a couple of decent signings and a bit of luck in the treatment room, I think we can salvage something from this season.

Well done Gary.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 29, 2021, 09:56:28 am by anton123 »
Totally behind this and as SM pointed out the salary was the salary so not a cheap option
Or you could say the salary was the salary so we ended up with GM

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 29, 2021, 09:56:34 am by Campsall rover »

And if they'd have done it within a week you'd have criticised them for not interviewing lots of other more experienced coaches. Jeez.
Some of our supporters have the brain cells of an ANT.  As you say if we had not looked at other potential candidates what would have been said. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 29, 2021, 09:56:54 am by Filo »
The reaction on social media is utterly disgusting. It’s hard to have to admit this, but we have a fanbase that’s awash with thick, expectant, entitled, moaning clueless d**kheads. If there’s anything that makes me feel increasingly distant from the club then it’s not the club itself, it’s many of the so-called fans.

Gary McSheffrey has done absolutely nothing that warrants this scale of negative reaction. He’s had a distinguished career playing at a higher level than this club has spent most of its history. He’s built up a good reputation with our youth team and he’s stepped up in unbelievably difficult circumstances and now wants to take our club on. We should feel grateful to have someone like that at the helm, not slate him as a cheap option with no basis at all for saying that.

McSheffrey now deserves backing from the Board to get a number of players in that are capable of competing at this level - something he’s lacked as caretaker manager through no fault of his own. Most of all, he deserves support from the supporters.

A look at Twitter makes me want to give up with the club. It’s hard to want to be associated with something that attracts so many brainless offensive imbeciles. But I suppose this is a society issue.

I agree with every word of that, we really do have the thickest set of fans

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 29, 2021, 09:57:17 am by DonnyOsmond »

Its pathetic SM and you know it. I like McSheffrey as a person and will support him, as a character far far preferable to Wellens but once our results follow a similar pattern in 2 months time he is going to need that character.. if they wanted to appoint McSheffrey they could have done so in a week.. why wait til after the Sunderland game, what was the point? Our decision making is so ponderous no wonder we were left scrambling about last minute on transfer deadline day. Great to be a family club but we are too nice as a club and too slow to take action.. if Wellens wasn't the man, that was also clear two months earlier following the thrashing at ipswich...

What's the issue with appointing before Sunderland or after when the same manager would have taken charge anyway? :laugh:

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 29, 2021, 09:57:46 am by Donny Exile in York »

Didn't take a month. Appointed immediately, confirmed subsequently.

So why take a month to announce it?  I like McSheffrey but to appoint a caretaker after 3 defeats in 4, including a mauling in the last game live on TV and an FA cup defeat at home to a team the division below is hugely underwhelming.

If the club appoint an experienced Director of Football then fair enough, if not then it does not inspire confidence for any change in fortune in the second half of the season.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:04:28 am by Donny Exile in York »

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 29, 2021, 09:58:08 am by The Dav »
As long as our board support him in this next window then let’s give the lad a chance ! If they don’t and it’s another uninspiring window then we are down simple ! And it will signal that our board are either clueless or simply don’t care enough ! I hope it’s non of the above and we claw ourselves out of this mess and crack on ! Good luck Gary

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 29, 2021, 10:00:16 am by DonnyOsmond »

So why take a month to announce it?

Because he's chatting shit. We saw what else was out there and GM demonstrated an understanding more so than the other more experienced candidates.

Belle Vue Boy

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 29, 2021, 10:01:02 am by Belle Vue Boy »
Good luck to GMC I like the fella speaks well and him and franks seem to be a good combo. I’m not saying it’s the way to go but maybe the players have had some say on the appointment. I read somewhere they seem to be enjoying things again since Richie left

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 29, 2021, 10:01:45 am by Filo »

Some of our supporters have the brain cells of an ANT.  As you say if we had not looked at other potential candidates what would have been said. 

I’m sure Ant’s will be offended at that, they are pretty intelligent, a single cell organism would be a better comparison

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 29, 2021, 10:01:51 am by anton123 »
This appointment makes sense, I think Gary has stabilised the ship and deserves this opportunity and I'm pleased he's taken it.

With a couple of decent signings and a bit of luck in the treatment room, I think we can salvage something from this season.

Well done Gary.
What ship has he stabilised we are in free fall
All this when the injured come back talk ? We have been saying this from week 2 they aren’t coming back til it’s to late and there will only be a couple of poor signing coming in , that’s why GM got the job as he’s willing to be a yes man and work with nothing

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 29, 2021, 10:02:28 am by GazLaz »
The board obviously took their time to explore all options and took the opinion that Gary’s ability coupled with his understanding of where the club is at and knowledge of the playing staff was the best option to give us the greatest chance of survival. Don’t see an issue there at all. It’s a very reasonably conclusion to come to. There is no right or wrong answers when making decisions like this, you just gather as much info as possible and conclude at the end.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 29, 2021, 10:03:10 am by normal rules »
I wish GM well.I truly do. He has the opportunity to be a messiah if he keeps the club in lge 1 this season. And builds a winning team in the process.

The whole PR leading up this appointment for me though has been damaging for the club, and for GM before he even starts.
The carrots being dangled around ex prem managers for one.
If GM was the preferred option, why bother with all the “apprentice” nonsense. Just get on with it. The job will be hard enough as it is.
I think GM is also suffering the “headache” caused since the departure of DM. Which still pervades.
There is a cloud of apathy over the club at the moment. And it’s not just down to league position. So I guess it’s easy for many to see negatives.
If he is anything of a leader , he will see through all this and just get on with the job in hand. Which is huge.
I will judge him on performance and results. And I hope he is afforded the support needed financially. We are woefully short in key areas.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 29, 2021, 10:04:10 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Underwhelming and not at all inspiring, for a club and a group of fans who need it.

I will back him and I wish him all the luck in the world - fair play if he gets us out of this mess!

Is this why he's going to be backed in January, because he's a cheap option, therefore, funds are available?!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on December 29, 2021, 10:04:43 am by IDM »
It’s a no-lose for GM.  Starts his managerial career properly with us.

If he can’t save us from the drop this season and isn’t seen as the man to bring us back up, he can revert back to u-18s knowing that the season was probably lost before his appointment, ie not his fault.

If he keeps us up, regardless of transfer window signings, injuries etc, most of us would be delighted and we look to improve next time.

I’m not interested in any “cheap option” arguments nor the time taken to appoint.  As folks have said, GM is already in the loop with potential incoming players - a different man may have thrown a big spanner in the recruitment works.?

If he can instill more belief, confidence and competitiveness in the players, then that’s an achievement in its own right.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:07:31 am by IDM »

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 29, 2021, 10:04:48 am by TommyC »
As with any social media discussion, opinions will be polarised with very little nuance in between. Sadly that is the nature of debate these days. However the rationale behind the appointment is unfathomable to me and will be to many people. Nice guy, got potential etc etc. However now doesn't seem to me to be the most appropriate time to bring in a Manager with basically zero managerial experience. Its a bizarre appointment. If he needs mentoring then why not appoint an experienced Manager to try and save this season and make GM assistant manager to learn from him?! I suspect this carrot of a mentor has been dangled because the board fully expected his credentials for the job to be called into question.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 29, 2021, 10:05:29 am by Donny Exile in York »

Because he's chatting shit. We saw what else was out there and GM demonstrated an understanding more so than the other more experienced candidates.

And tell me how good has his record been as caretaker manager? Has that inspired the same confidence?  3 defeats in 4 including a hammering live on TV only days ago plus a financially damaging home cup defeat to a team in the division below.. hardly endorsed him during the month long announcement .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:10:40 am by Donny Exile in York »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 29, 2021, 10:05:33 am by vaya »

Well done Gary.
All this when the injured come back talk ? We have been saying this from week 2 they aren’t coming back til it’s to late and there will only be a couple of poor signing coming in , that’s why GM got the job as he’s willing to be a yes man and work with nothing

Presumably you've spoken with him and confirmed he's going to be a 'yes man and work with nothing' rather than just make something up on an internet forum?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 29, 2021, 10:05:52 am by The Beast »
The reaction on social media is utterly disgusting. It’s hard to have to admit this, but we have a fanbase that’s awash with thick, expectant, entitled, moaning clueless d**kheads. If there’s anything that makes me feel increasingly distant from the club then it’s not the club itself, it’s many of the so-called fans.

Gary McSheffrey has done absolutely nothing that warrants this scale of negative reaction. He’s had a distinguished career playing at a higher level than this club has spent most of its history. He’s built up a good reputation with our youth team and he’s stepped up in unbelievably difficult circumstances and now wants to take our club on. We should feel grateful to have someone like that at the helm, not slate him as a cheap option with no basis at all for saying that.

McSheffrey now deserves backing from the Board to get a number of players in that are capable of competing at this level - something he’s lacked as caretaker manager through no fault of his own. Most of all, he deserves support from the supporters.

A look at Twitter makes me want to give up with the club. It’s hard to want to be associated with something that attracts so many brainless offensive imbeciles. But I suppose this is a society issue.
I don’t think it’s specifically our fan base, just football fans in general, in fact the mentality of the general public worries me. Twitter gives a platform to any idiot, look at Donald Trump!

Good luck to Gary, seems very articulate and intelligent, can imagine he would stand out in an interview situation, he’s got a tough job, let’s get behind him! RTID!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 29, 2021, 10:07:12 am by bpoolrover »

sm if you had nothing to do with the club would gm have been your pick for manager, while of course he should get everyone's support, the last time the board had so many boxers that the applicant would have to meet l, I wonder how many gm met?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 29, 2021, 10:08:28 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Congratulations and good luck GMc.

It's difficult not to be impressed with him and his outlook on the game and the understanding he has about our current predicament.

He knows we can't bully our way out of it and I'm sure he'll get the universal backing of the players.

We know the next task ahead of us, and he, more than most will understand what we need to get better.

Always been supportive of the board and will remain so as long as it's seen they are breaking every since to give him the support and resources he needs.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 29, 2021, 10:09:05 am by River Don »

Well done Gary.

We'll have to disagree, I think improvements can be seen on the field. Form over the last ten games has Rovers sat in 19th.

Yes, we're still likely to get tonked by the better sides in this league but if we can take points off those around us, Rovers stand a chance

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 29, 2021, 10:09:12 am by lee.j09 »
Plymouth lost their manager to Preston and replaced him all within a day. They promoted from within something that we have done. The difference? It’s taken us 4 weeks it took them 4 hours. Shit show

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 29, 2021, 10:10:32 am by adamtherover »

Well done Gary.
stabilised the ship?, his record is 3 defeats in 4 games? how is that any different to wellens?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 29, 2021, 10:10:49 am by Jonathan »

And tell me how good has his record been as caretaker manager? Has that inspired the same confidence?

How the hell could it? Look at the players he’s had available for goodness sake and tell us with all your wisdom who could have done a better job?

If you honestly expected someone to stand on the sidelines and make that group of players beat a high-flying expensively assembled Sunderland team then you seriously need your head testing.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 29, 2021, 10:11:59 am by vaya »
Plymouth lost their manager to Preston and replaced him all within a day. They promoted from within something that we have done. The difference? It’s taken us 4 weeks it took them 4 hours. Shit show

It's not taken four weeks. He was appointed immediately, and has been in the job since the moment Wellens left.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on December 29, 2021, 10:12:08 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I've been impressed with some of the things he's done. He's made some strong tactical changes and is using what he has available as well as he can.  The challenge is getting the players in to allow him to move forwards with players who are better than what he's got.

Again I don't know what people expect sometimes.  We weren't going to get a premier League name with experience we are at the bottom of league 1. Is it a gamble? Of course, every appointment is, to me it's less of a gamble than someone like say Nigel Adkins. A name yes but a failure for years.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 29, 2021, 10:12:14 am by RobTheRover »

It's not an internal appointment. It was an external process that just happened to be an internal person came out top in.

Jesus, people would have moaned if they had just handed out the job to him rather than see what else was out there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012