Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:52:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ITEN: Identifying Transfer Targets  (Read 1596 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
ITEN: Identifying Transfer Targets
« on June 19, 2022, 12:21:38 pm by RoversAlias »
Hi folks,

Following on from last week's feature analysing the current Rovers squad to identify areas to strengthen, I have now published an article taking a look at a group of 25 potential signings in those key areas. You can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/squad-goals-part-2-transfer-targets

I would like to thank everyone who read and commented on Part 1, with some interesting insights to how we're feeling about the squad at the moment. Part 2 has taken me over a week to research and write, and I had to delay finishing it for a few days due to coming down with a nasty bout of Covid! So being able to focus on getting it finished this weekend has helped to focus my mind, to say the least.

I whittled down this piece to 25 people from a long-list of around 50 players, so if anyone is at all interested in seeing the other names I identified in my research, just let me know and I can send it across. I have tried to largely keep to realistic options and believe that we'll bring in 3-4 permanents and a similar number of loans, mainly in attacking areas.

Let me know your thoughts - do you see any of these players as potential signings? Would you be happy with some of them? Any names you yourself wish to suggest?

Thanks for taking the time to read and enjoy your weekend!

:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: ITEN: Identifying Transfer Targets
« Reply #1 on June 19, 2022, 03:08:17 pm by ncRover »
Great work.

Alfie Devine would be the technicality GMC has mentioned that PL youngsters would bring. I think with how well Jacob Ramsey is currently doing could make us a good option for Spurs. A creative player could allow Rowe to play on the wing where I think he could get in to double figures.

If Barlow wants to play on the left, I think we need more depth for Taylor given his injuries on the right. Surprised Newby has been released by Rochdale, so another great shout.

Good work on Myles Kenlock, seems very solid and at a good point in his career to improve whilst having good experience. Did you look at Lewis Page for the left back position?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 19, 2022, 04:17:49 pm by Jonathan »
Interesting and enjoyable read with a good mix of names, some of whom I was aware of and several of whom are new to me. I like the sound of some of the left backs and I’d like to see us bring in someone established in that position as well as perhaps a younger versatile player for the left side like the lad from Sunderland that’s been mentioned.

In the forward positions, one name that I feel could do a job here is Joe Pigott. Maybe a bit out of reach (he’d cost a fee) but he’s totally out of favour at Ipswich and likely to leave them this summer. We could do with someone that has some physical presence and can lead the line.

As well as the positions mentioned, listening to McSheffrey’s latest interview he also hasn’t ruled out bringing in another tough tackling midfield player if we can afford one.

You’d seriously hope we start seeing some of the incoming movement this week. It’s hard not to feel a little frustrated when other clubs are announcing incoming players daily. Hopefully we’ll start making our moves now.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 19, 2022, 05:31:21 pm by roversdude »
Excellent article some food for thought there
I still have a sneaky feeling we may be announcing some signings at the kit unveiling- would love to see Marquis wearing it, true 100% player

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 19, 2022, 05:45:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’d love JM to come home but, sadly, I think we’ll baulk at the wages.

I sincerely hope that any loans we bring in are more than capable of ‘holding their own’ both physically and technically. The loans last season were, apart from 1 or 2, (un)mitigated disasters.

Some good work put in by the author and some more than credible solutions to most of our problems, but unfortunately we have no way of knowing if indeed any of them are being considered by our recruitment committee. On top of that, we also don’t know how far we can stretch whatever the budget is!

I’m hoping that the Chairman’s ‘bounce back decisively’ was not just a throw away comment to get people interested in getting season tickets. The proof of the pudding is yet to be realised.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:26:01 pm by Alan Southstand »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 19, 2022, 06:37:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
Unless he is feeling extremely generous, there is no way we are going to be paying what Marquis would be accepting. That’s putting to side him wanting to drop down to League Two to a side that doesn’t have the strongest claim to get promoted from there next season. It’s not 2016/17 and he’s earned the right to be in League One and in League One wages.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 19, 2022, 06:37:55 pm by scawsby steve »
Good article, Alias. I hope you're feeling better now.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 19, 2022, 06:40:36 pm by BobG »
Mitigated disasters Alan? What mitigated their performances into something approaching decent?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I guess it was simply a spot of finger trouble?

Cheers :)

BobG

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 19, 2022, 06:42:36 pm by roversdude »
Some money is better than no money, that said I don’t think JM will be back

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 21, 2022, 02:31:50 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks for the comments so far folks! Certainly players like Marquis would require us to push the boat out a bit but I wanted to stick a couple of names in there that would necessitate Rovers going to the max end of their presumed budgetary abilities, and he was one of them. Two others in the article like this who are now off the market are Greg Leigh (signed for Ipswich) and Joe Sbarra (signed improved terms with Solihull).

Great work.

Alfie Devine would be the technicality GMC has mentioned that PL youngsters would bring. I think with how well Jacob Ramsey is currently doing could make us a good option for Spurs. A creative player could allow Rowe to play on the wing where I think he could get in to double figures.

If Barlow wants to play on the left, I think we need more depth for Taylor given his injuries on the right. Surprised Newby has been released by Rochdale, so another great shout.

Good work on Myles Kenlock, seems very solid and at a good point in his career to improve whilst having good experience. Did you look at Lewis Page for the left back position?

I didn't look at Page to be honest, when I looked over the Harrogate squad it was mainly to focus on attacking options. Page is a good age and has some time under his belt in League Two now but I'm not sure if he's the sort of player we'd want to approach a club for.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 21, 2022, 02:50:15 pm by roversdude »
What are your thoughts on Miller RA

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 21, 2022, 04:17:11 pm by bradford exile »
Another good piece Adam. Already sent Worldwide. Regards Ray

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 21, 2022, 05:27:41 pm by RoversAlias »
Thanks as always Ray - your work for the Exiles remains impeccable.

What are your thoughts on Miller RA

A good signing, the sort of player we needed - as the article states I figured we'd go the loan market instead - and someone who will run all day and hopefully be given the chance to score lots of goals.

Luke Molyneux is a proper statement signing, he was on my longlist for this piece but I didn't think we'd compete with the rumoured clubs after him. Plus I was enamoured by Bahamboula!

Club's off to a good start with business this summer.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 13, 2022, 08:17:36 am by ncRover »
Ash Hunter signed for Morcambe

TinyPortal © 2005-2012