Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:35:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Glastonbury 2013  (Read 3898 times)

Jenny

• VSC Member
Glastonbury 2013
« on October 07, 2012, 05:27:22 pm by Jenny »
Anyone secured tickets?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DN8ROVER

• VSC Member
Re: Glastonbury 2013
« Reply #1 on October 07, 2012, 07:29:46 pm by DN8ROVER »
I got onto the insert card details bit 3 times and it crashed 3 times.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 07, 2012, 07:33:56 pm by Muttley »
Yes, you and around 135,000 others.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 07, 2012, 07:38:58 pm by Jenny »
Smart arse  :P

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 07, 2012, 08:40:50 pm by wilts rover »
I live just outside the limit for getting discounted locals tickets - although to be honest spending a weekend in a field with 135 000 people and 13 toilets doesnt really appeal.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 07, 2012, 09:51:04 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Why would anyone secure tickets for a festival when they aint got a clue who is going to be playing.

Talk about milking the cash cow.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 07, 2012, 10:06:33 pm by MrFrost »
Line up will be shite.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 07, 2012, 10:41:01 pm by Jenny »
Its not just about the music though is it....

Plus, if you look beyond the headliners (which could potentially be disappointing), then there are usually some pretty decent smaller bands who are well worth a listen. My favourite band at the minute is one I discovered at a festival playing to a couple of hundred people in a small tent whilst the main headliner was on.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:44:14 pm by Jenny »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 08, 2012, 09:40:15 am by MachoMadness »
Not going to any festivals this year but it's always been good when I have been. Glasto is good, much better than Leeds which is usually full of annoying teenagers wearing f**king straw hats and pretending they're on Skins.

With pretty much any big festival you're not gonna like everyone on the lineup, but there are hundreds of bands there so there's going to be something for you. I will break down crying if the rumour about the Stones playing comes true and I'm not there though.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 08, 2012, 12:41:02 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We got ours, love Glastonbury great week always.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 08, 2012, 04:47:29 pm by ravenrover »
Managed to get 2 for me and my daughter it's our anual bonding session and it takes me back to my hippy days. We usually do Isle of Wight Fest but after all the problems  last year we went for Glasto instead. Having said that I have been trying on and off for the last 10years for Glasto tickets and this is the 1st time I have been successful.
Oh and Mr Frost thanks for your usual optimism!!
TWD Glastonbury is a whole experience there will be something or someone worth while seeing throughout each day. Rumours are Stone, Foo Fighters, Smiths as headliners, we'll just wait and see. This year we have only had to pay a deposit and have the opportunity of cancelling for a partial refund in April when full payment is due.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 08, 2012, 05:45:07 pm by Jenny »
Yeah its defo worth losing a tenner for if you end up deciding not to go.

Stone Roses & Radiohead look likely headliners - wouldn't be disappointed with that!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 08, 2012, 09:15:39 pm by MachoMadness »
Speaking of Radiohead, notice Thom Yorke has a ponytail now. Someone needs to have a quiet word methinks!  :chair:

tuffty

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 08, 2012, 11:19:52 pm by tuffty »
Got mine, looking forward to it, only been to T in the park before or one day events, just not looking forward to shitting in a bag !!!!!!!! 

:thumbsup:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 09, 2012, 11:16:19 am by MrFrost »
Just the way Glastonbury seems to be going is to more pop and r&b acts.
Best festival I have been to by far was T in the Park. Fantastic, and brilliantly organised.
It is unfortunate that the music scene festivals usually cater for is dying on its arse.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 09, 2012, 12:18:16 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
They need to go out of their way to try and secure Prince. He'd be perfect as Sunday headliner.

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 09, 2012, 12:29:49 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Just the way Glastonbury seems to be going is to more pop and r&b acts.
Best festival I have been to by far was T in the Park. Fantastic, and brilliantly organised.
It is unfortunate that the music scene festivals usually cater for is dying on its arse.

Having been to both Glastonbury is far, far superior.  AS for the music, well the music shown on the tv is the mainstream stuff, but there's huge numbers of stages not even shown on tv with such a wide variety of acts performing.  You can easily spend a whole day looking at stuff that doesn't even involve music (we usually do that on Thursday).

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 14, 2013, 05:48:42 pm by Jenny »
So, less than 2 weeks to go....

Getting a little bit giddy now :) BFYP, will drop you a message shortly!

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 14, 2013, 11:44:38 pm by coventryrover »
take your mac and waders jenny.  sunday isnt going to be too dry

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 15, 2013, 09:58:25 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Exactly the same, cannot wait, I just hope the weather's not like today, wonder what the plan is if Mumford have to pull out though?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 16, 2013, 12:15:48 am by BobG »
I just got back, half an hour back, from a cracking concert. Played in a great big huge whacking tithe barn at Great Coxwell. What a place for a show! I took Alex along. I decided years back to make him into a groupie for Show of Hands. Neither he, nor they, disappointed. Top night. As for Glastonbiury - despite being just well nigh down the road from me, no thanks. Anyone wanting to see the Stones, for example, needs their bumps feeling. I made that mistake a few years back at Earls Court or Wembley or somewhere. Yes. They can whack out Brown Sugar and so on, but where's the progression? Where's the development? Where's the challenge? They're stuck in a 40 year old time warp. I did all that 2 generations ago. And that blubber lipped singer poncing about on stage just looks hyperbolically ridiculous. Massively disappointing.

Any other SoH fans on here?

Cheers

BobG

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 16, 2013, 08:20:02 am by knockers »
Saw Show of Hands at the civic last year. There is a great venue in Barnsley for travelling folk bands in a log cabin at the bottom of a guys garden. It holds 35 people and serves real ale. His wife also feeds you at half time and all for a tenner. Saw Larkin poe, Devan Sproule and many others there over the years.
Bob, you want to check out Blair Dunlop, stephanie Lambring, The Once, Carrie Elkin and Danny schmidt who are all pretty damn good. Blair has also taken over the Albion band from his father (you may remember them) and he is going to be huge.
Google/youtube 'em and enjoy.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 16, 2013, 09:06:01 am by wilts rover »
Bob, I have seen Show of Hands a few times, as you say always awesome. Although strangely enough never at the Folk Club at the bottom of my street where they are the patrons! Far to difficult to get tickets.
Knockers, I have seen the Rainbow Chasers at Cropredy a couple of times, one of them in a pub garden, and wasn't hugely impressed, will check him out again though.
Little Johnny England anyone?
My next gig is some up and coming band by the name of Ginger Baker's Jazz Machine, nice. Only 10 miles from Glastonbury too.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 16, 2013, 09:15:43 am by MrFrost »

Exactly the same, cannot wait, I just hope the weather's not like today, wonder what the plan is if Mumford have to pull out though?

Someone mentioned Nick Cave.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 16, 2013, 11:08:28 pm by BobG »
Lol Knockers! I saw Phil Beer playing in the Albion Band! In Durham in 1978.

I must have seen SoH 30 times now over the years. One of the distinguishing factors for me is that they continue to move forwards. They haven't rested on their laurels yet - unlike one or two bands named in this thread.

BobG

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 18, 2013, 07:25:39 pm by ravenrover »
Saw Show of Hands at the civic last year. There is a great venue in Barnsley for travelling folk bands in a log cabin at the bottom of a guys garden. It holds 35 people and serves real ale. His wife also feeds you at half time and all for a tenner. Saw Larkin poe, Devan Sproule and many others there over the years.
Bob, you want to check out Blair Dunlop, stephanie Lambring, The Once, Carrie Elkin and Danny schmidt who are all pretty damn good. Blair has also taken over the Albion band from his father (you may remember them) and he is going to be huge.
Google/youtube 'em and enjoy.
We had Larkin Poe and Blair Dunlop playing in our village hall last year, thought Blair was fabulous but wasn't keen on LP
Daughter called round last night, for a 30 year old she gets very giddy at the thought of Glasto in just over a week taking her 61 year old Glasto virgin this time! Glad we didn't bother with IoW this year line up for me was rubbish looking forward to a lot of the smaller tents/stages for some of the less well known bands. Might give Bill Whymans Rhythm Kings a visit, was talking to Albert Lee last year and he said he was giving them a rest for a while but  hope he is playing at Glasto with them, I see he is listed as a band member for their Oct/Nov tour. Bit of a leg stretcher according to my daughter to get from the main stage to the acoustic stage want to see Jake Bugg on both if we can but there is only 35/40 mins between his sets. Sunday line up not looking the best but we will have a wander and see what little gems we can find

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 19, 2013, 10:14:13 am by Jenny »
Not sure that Jake Bugg would be worth the rush....

There are quite a few bands i have earmarked, but not going to get too bothered if I don't see them, certainly won't be rushing round like a blue arsed fly trying to fit everything in.

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 19, 2013, 12:17:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I expect I'll spend most of Friday in the John Peel some bands I like in there.  Probably miss Jake Bugg, saw him at a gig a few months back and he was very disappointing.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 19, 2013, 12:20:33 pm by MrFrost »
It will be worth the rush for some people. Music is all about taste. Just because one person doesn't like them, doesn't mean tis not worth it for others.

For example, if I was there, i'd only be bothered about seeing one of the headliners.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 19, 2013, 03:26:04 pm by Jenny »
I expect I'll spend most of Friday in the John Peel some bands I like in there.  Probably miss Jake Bugg, saw him at a gig a few months back and he was very disappointing.

John Peel stage is looking awesome, on the Friday I imagine I will be there for Kodaline, Bastille & Courteeners.... I would have liked to have seen The Vaccines but they finish as Bastille start and I have seen them numerous times so they can wait for now.

I will be catching Billy Bragg, Sean McGowan and Gaz Brookfield at least once, and other than that, I really don't know. #

Still not decided where I am camping or even when I am driving down, tonights plan of action is to decide how much vodka I can sink in 4 days and go and buy that!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012