Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:30:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Books  (Read 3843 times)

Big MAC

• Forum Member
Re: Books
« Reply #30 on June 20, 2013, 10:45:26 pm by Big MAC »
If you like Colin Bateman try Christopher Brookmyre. I really enjoy writers who mix humour and violence and set them in places you know (Bateman books often based in Belfast ,Brookmyres are based around Glasgow). Along the same lines try Tim Dorsey - his are based in Florida.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 21, 2013, 01:52:05 pm by moses »
Sandy Lane  I enjoyed the Dan Brown as well but can't agree with you on the ending, i really liked the ending and where it leaves any future development of the books.

On a seperate note the best first book I have read recently is Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Fantastic concept of a London policeman who investigates ghosts in London but with a really modern style.

Big MAC if you have been to london much it really brings the streets alive and makes you want to retrace your steps.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 21, 2013, 03:28:58 pm by ravenrover »
Well if there are any British Military History readers out there I can recommend 2 books by a young new author

Suffering, Sickness and the Sword

A Bold and Ambitious Enterprise

Both available on Amazon, author Andrew Bamford

(Hope I haven't broken any rules, after all he is my son)  :thumbsup:

Mr Brightside

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 24, 2013, 10:35:44 pm by Mr Brightside »
If you like Colin Bateman try Christopher Brookmyre. I really enjoy writers who mix humour and violence and set them in places you know (Bateman books often based in Belfast ,Brookmyres are based around Glasgow). Along the same lines try Tim Dorsey - his are based in Florida.
I do enjoy Batemans books so cheers BigMac I'll give those a go  :)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 24, 2013, 10:58:03 pm by MachoMadness »
Quite topical with the film that's just come out, but I re-read World War Z recently and it's fantastic. It's brilliant because you can view it as this amazingly, intricately constructed political satire, but it also works as a blood-and-guts horror story as well if you don't want to get all intellectual about it. Not seen the film but from the trailers it looks naff all like the book, so don't let that put you off.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 25, 2013, 09:06:52 am by ditch_drfc »
James Patterson - Kill Me If You Can. Read it on holiday recently, pretty good read. You can read it in a few hours but it's entertaining and the pages just keep turning.

Neil Warnock - Made In Sheffield. Amazing autobiography (of course opinions will be divided on this one). But a great insight into football clubs, how they treat players etc... Just a generally good book.

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 27, 2013, 07:34:04 am by Crowle Rover »

Stuart Macoinies The Peoples Music
50 songs that defined Britain
Great book that ties in with the Radio 2 show
Not only does it look at the songs it also has a social history of Britain over the last 60 years
Highly recommended

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 28, 2013, 10:53:07 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Just finished reading 'A Rush of Blood' by Mark Billingham.  Brilliant read if you like a bit of crime thriller

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 29, 2013, 08:07:54 am by CusworthRovers »

Stuart Macoinies The Peoples Music
50 songs that defined Britain
Great book that ties in with the Radio 2 show
Not only does it look at the songs it also has a social history of Britain over the last 60 years
Highly recommended

Might have a look at that one dog, ready for the hols. I read his 'Where is the North' book last year (it was called something like that anyway)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012