Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:29:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Another Pub bites the dust  (Read 3961 times)

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
Another Pub bites the dust
« on October 25, 2013, 03:44:50 pm by Albert Trousers »
The wife just informed me that the Palfreys at Cantley has just been boarded up, sad times :(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GM-MarkB

Re: Another Pub bites the dust
« Reply #1 on October 25, 2013, 05:34:36 pm by GM-MarkB »
Surely she means the Paddock mate...I live round the corner from the Palfs...didn't notice

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 25, 2013, 06:29:20 pm by dknward2 »
Drove passed paddock on way home didnt notice any boards up

GM-MarkB

« Reply #3 on October 25, 2013, 06:35:51 pm by GM-MarkB »
I'll check on my way to work in morning

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 26, 2013, 01:06:47 pm by not on facebook »
The wife just informed me that the Palfreys at Cantley has just been boarded up, sad times :(

The owner Of palfs dave bailey was doing time in prison for whatever offence or offences

The same dave bailey who had that small brewery next to KMS.

Got told the paddock was boarded up about two month back for a couple
Of weeks,then it re Opened after they found someone to run it.

There is no drinking culture anymore for anyone under thr age Of 35 ,as that generation are all bascially house bound and would Dream Of going out for a pint after work till chucking out time Monday,tuesday,weds,thursday or sunday

The day will soon come When local pubs will only be open friday and saturdays maybe sundays.

Monday,tues,weds,thursday the pubs will be shut

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 26, 2013, 06:17:34 pm by Sprotyrover »
They meet up in little groups and pre load on cheap spirits bought from the super, when they do hit town it's after 10.00 at night and they're already drunk.
Just been to Germany and there ain't much of a pub culture there anymore, they can buy their been for a Quid a bottle in the super so why pay Three quid fifty in a pub.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 26, 2013, 06:55:45 pm by not on facebook »
They meet up in little groups and pre load on cheap spirits bought from the super, when they do hit town it's after 10.00 at night and they're already drunk.
Just been to Germany and there ain't much of a pub culture there anymore, they can buy their been for a Quid a bottle in the super so why pay Three quid fifty in a pub.

I never really drink at home as i find that sad,as in the pub Its all about
The social part Of having a drink so i dont mind paying the extra tbh

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 26, 2013, 06:57:06 pm by RedJ »

Surely there's still a social aspect to drinking with friends at home first...

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 26, 2013, 07:02:34 pm by not on facebook »

You have a drink at home with Your friends

How many friends will you have round at one time with out getting on yer
Neighbours tits?

Go to the pub and you can have a far better laugh and more rope to let
Yer hair down

Drinking at home with mates is too formal

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 26, 2013, 07:08:13 pm by RedJ »

You have a drink at home with Your friends

How many friends will you have round at one time with out getting on yer
Neighbours tits?

Go to the pub and you can have a far better laugh and more rope to let
Yer hair down

Drinking at home with mates is too formal

Well when I go out I only go out with 5 or 6 anyway so... besides, if you go out with a load of friends you can't really talk to them all in one go anyway can you... how exactly is it formal?

I'm not saying I do drink at home every time before going out as I like going down the pub for a pint before going home.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 26, 2013, 07:51:17 pm by not on facebook »
Out Here where the price Of a drink is very high,Its comman for the locals
To have many drinks at a friends house When the night starts.

Then at midnight they all jump on the last trains,Trams and buses into Oslo and hit the pubs for last 3 hours as kicking out time is 03:00

Problem is they are more Than pissed When getting into Oslo or not far from  Been pissed as in one or two more drinks.

Its against the law to serve anyone that looks or is drunk,you Cant Even serve People sat at a table Of one Of them is pissed.

Its job Of bar staff to say no more and Ask them to leave.

Oslo council send out under cover type Of inspectors,who hit the pubs checking if anyone they seem is drunk inside the buying a drink or drinking.

If they find Such pissed up customers in Your pub they will report the offence and the pub will Get closed down for x amount Of weeks.

I had a grip with one Such inspector as he was a muslim and i questioned
His knowlodge on his views since she had never had a drink in her life

The controll saw my point Of view Thank god

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 26, 2013, 11:16:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Oslo, problem is for people my age pubs aren't cheap and it is tough to be able to move away from home, let alone afford to be out in pubs.

To me 3.35 a pint in my local isn't something I can justify that often. Hence why I don't do it that much.  I'm not even a huge drinker anymore and a lot of younger people more so seem to be that way.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 27, 2013, 09:44:35 am by Sprotyrover »
So looking at Oslos post pre loading is also an issue in Norway maybe we should go back to the old licensing hours last orders 11pm mon to Sat 10.30 on Sunday.

When I first stat parted drinking in 1977 you paid 70 p a Pint in town and as little as 50 p in the Working men's clubs,places like the Sun inn or Grove charged about 58p now bearing in mind my weekly wage was £35 and I tipped up £8 to my mum for board.
£3.35 a pint ain't too bad cos if your on the minimum wage you probably got £180 a week coming in which is  55 ish pints to my  50 ish

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 27, 2013, 09:56:05 am by not on facebook »
Oslo, problem is for people my age pubs aren't cheap and it is tough to be able to move away from home, let alone afford to be out in pubs.

To me 3.35 a pint in my local isn't something I can justify that often. Hence why I don't do it that much.  I'm not even a huge drinker anymore and a lot of younger people more so seem to be that way.

I think computer games have had a huge effect on the going down t pub culture Monday to thursday .more Than enough People left school and are
Experts on the computer games,hence Thats where they found entertainment at home in Their bedroom.

When my age left school computer games were not the norm ,but going to the local pub was.back then it was Much cheaper to drink in Your local Than in donny town centre pub for sure.today Its the other way round.

I was on the government YTS as in Youth training Scheme which paid me £27.50 a week.i had to pay board to me old man and bus fares to work.

So i had less Than £20 a week to watch me football and have a drink.
I dont know how did it but i was out thursday,friday,saturday with football and sunday Aswell as Been in the pub darts night every other Monday pool night every other thursday in me local.

how did i fund that i had to beg,borrow or scam me money for a night in me local.back then mates would lend money to other mates left right and centre.

I would find it hard to drop into the paddock my local back then for a pint
On any day or night Of the week for sole reason there is Nobody in there.

When i first went in the age range was from 16 ,17,18  drinkers in Their 20s,30s,40s,50s,60s and 70s.everyone knew everyone and knew everything about you

Go into the the paddock today and i bet there is tumbleweed Blowing around both bars,back in my time the sunday pound draw would allways sell a  totall £1000 in prize money

The pub would be rammed at 15:00 both bars When the draw was Made,and i used to work in that pub and the money both bars would take on any one sunday would be more Than what the paddock will take all week today.

Like i said i see local pubs just Been open for fridays and saturdays maybe sundays then closed rest Of tje week unless a funeral is booked etc etc

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 27, 2013, 10:01:51 am by not on facebook »
So looking at Oslos post pre loading is also an issue in Norway maybe we should go back to the old licensing hours last orders 11pm mon to Sat 10.30 on Sunday.

When I first stat parted drinking in 1977 you paid 70 p a Pint in town and as little as 50 p in the Working men's clubs,places like the Sun inn or Grove charged about 58p now bearing in mind my weekly wage was £35 and I tipped up £8 to my mum for board.
£3.35 a pint ain't too bad cos if your on the minimum wage you probably got £180 a week coming in which is  55 ish pints to my  50 ish

Its Also against The law out Here to shout last orders or turn lights up and down to indicate last orders because they dont want you to Encourage the drinkers to buy more drink before pub shuts .

You have seen it When the first bell Goes at 10.55 bigger que at bar with some drinkers getting two or three pints each with maybe a shot or two

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 27, 2013, 06:31:18 pm by Sprotyrover »
I think a Landlord worth his salt would soon clear his bar by 11.10pm as they did do in places like the Kings head and Nags head,some quieter pubs just used to lock the doors and pull down the blitz curtains,such as Olde Castle and Biscuit Billies.

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 29, 2013, 12:45:45 pm by Albert Trousers »
Paddock has recently re-opened under new management, Palfs boarded up, not just the bar windows but all upstairs windows as well.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 29, 2013, 01:00:06 pm by not on facebook »
Paddock has recently re-opened under new management, Palfs boarded up, not just the bar windows but all upstairs windows as well.

If the paddock can Get rid Of the travellers that used that place and the local cantley shitheads,and since the palfs is Now shut down there is a gap
In the market.

It will never Get back to how it used to be best pub in cantley by a country mile due to no drinking culture anymore,and any serious drinkers are up in
Hawthorne Club.

The beachers is doing more Than ok iam told better Than palfs and paddock.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #18 on October 29, 2013, 02:32:24 pm by GM-MarkB »
It's true...all boarded up. I'm amazed actually as all Summer it seemed to be packed in the little Beer Garden area when the sun was out.

No doubt will become an Indian or Chinese restaurant

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 29, 2013, 06:34:45 pm by Sprotyrover »
Oslo do you remember the pudding in Cantley who fancied himself as a Whitby Trawlwr skipper......Barry Rogers I think he was called I recall he had this super fit daughter who was a bit thick  He used to have a full size Photo of her in all the'Kit' stockings susseys etc  on his lounge wall!

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 29, 2013, 10:04:42 pm by adge »
a good landlord makes a good pub and the paddock had one for many years.
my local was the golden fleece , exactly the same applied.

breweries squeeze the landlords till they surrender and the pubs are then finished

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 30, 2013, 01:31:05 pm by not on facebook »
Oslo do you remember the pudding in Cantley who fancied himself as a Whitby Trawlwr skipper......Barry Rogers I think he was called I recall he had this super fit daughter who was a bit thick  He used to have a full size Photo of her in all the'Kit' stockings susseys etc  on his lounge wall!

The name barry rodgers rings a bell but i Cant put a face to the name,the
More i think the more mixed up i Get tbh.

As for the part about his daughter Its news to me .

Was he a taxi driver by any chance?

GM-MarkB

« Reply #22 on February 12, 2014, 06:14:00 pm by GM-MarkB »
Just a little update...seems to be open again now. All 'boards' removed...wonder what went off

TinyPortal © 2005-2012