Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:08:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 3890 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
David Bowie
« on January 11, 2016, 07:05:29 am by RobTheRover »
Passed away at the age of 69

RIP

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2016, 07:11:50 am by Filo »
RIP, a music legend gone to the great recording studio in the sky

" Major Tom your circuits dead there's something wrong, can you hear me Major Tom"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:18:23 am by Filo »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2016, 07:28:59 am by The Red Baron »
Just heard it. Shocked. RIP Ziggy Stardust.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #3 on January 11, 2016, 07:39:46 am by GM-MarkB »
Never been a fan, but you can't deny the legacy he has left

RIP

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2016, 07:52:34 am by River Don »
Artists this special don't usually last this long.

He made a difference.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #5 on January 11, 2016, 07:59:58 am by LongbridgeMGRover »
Ziggy Stardust- the first LP I ever bought and I still have it plus several others. In a different league to transient disposable pop and rock.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2016, 08:26:08 am by Donnywolf »
... and saw him twice at the Top Rank Doncaster

First time he was touring the Ziggy Stardust Album and dressed in jeans and a top and did a "simple" gig . Posters were all up the stairs and people took them as souvenirs on the way out - but there were Skinheads laying in ambush to beat people up who had been to see DB and the Posters were a great advert

Second time around he was in the Aladdin Sane era and he did at least 3 Costume changes and the gig was "less than simple"

Both gigs were good too albeit in different ways

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 11, 2016, 08:31:53 am by River Don »
When I were a lad, it just seemed normal that Britain had all the best music. Bowie was one of the reasons it felt like that.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #8 on January 11, 2016, 08:52:33 am by GM-MarkB »
When I were a lad, it just seemed normal that Britain had all the best music. Bowie was one of the reasons it felt like that.

IMO, we still do...

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #9 on January 11, 2016, 09:52:41 am by LongbridgeMGRover »
Ziggy Stardust- the first LP I ever bought and I still have it plus several others. In a different league to transient disposable pop and rock.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 11, 2016, 10:11:37 am by Lipsy »
Another legend gone. A sad day made slightly more surreal by the fact that I listened to his latest album on Friday, thinking/hoping that there was more to come.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 11, 2016, 12:14:31 pm by rtid88 »
My 1st real musical idol! I loved his music when I was a kid! Shocked and really quite devastated to here of his death this morning! His music was absolutely quite unique and in some ways still is! Legend!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 11, 2016, 01:07:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Never quite got this idea of him being a trend-setter. Always seemed to me that he picked up on others' trends.

From the transgressive ideas of the Velvet Underground, through Glam Rock, futuristic synth pop, New Romantics' yuppie pop.

But, he always added to the scenes in an utterly unique way. I've come to appreciate him more as I got older and he made classics that will still be played in 200 years time. One of the greats.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 11, 2016, 01:41:51 pm by IDM »
John isn't only dancing any more..

RIP David.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 11, 2016, 02:18:34 pm by ravenrover »
... and saw him twice at the Top Rank Doncaster

First time he was touring the Ziggy Stardust Album and dressed in jeans and a top and did a "simple" gig . Posters were all up the stairs and people took them as souvenirs on the way out - but there were Skinheads laying in ambush to beat people up who had been to see DB and the Posters were a great advert

Second time around he was in the Aladdin Sane era and he did at least 3 Costume changes and the gig was "less than simple"

Both gigs were good too albeit in different ways

Yes as did I both shows very different. I can remember him saying at the 1st show that it was just like playing at a club presumably because of the size of Top Rank, the 2Nd show vastly different and when he climbed the speaker stack during Let's Spend the Night Together I thought the young girl he was climbing up to was going to fall off the balcony! My last album was Aladdinsane  but in my opinion Hunky Dory takes some beating.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:20:40 pm by ravenrover »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 11, 2016, 07:42:26 pm by PDX_Rover »
Woke up to this news and I cried. As I did when Lennon was murdered. Kooks is one of the first songs my little boy started to sing - put it on a cd for him when he was just a few weeks old. Bowie himself has been a constant in my life. Hunky Dory is still on heavy rotation in our house. Genuinely sad and gutted but you would sense he was very ill. He seemed frail on his last album. Shit news. That's one thing about getting older that sucks - your heroes leaving the party early.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 11, 2016, 10:17:55 pm by Sprotyrover »
His Dad Heywood Stenton Jones was born at 41 St Sepulchre Gate on 21 November 1912. 😎

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2016, 02:23:08 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He wasn't somebody who i thought i liked, i just thought he was weird. Then over the years i have realised different songs were sung by him, and i like most of them.
He seems to have been somebody who got bored very easily, and was always looking forward, constantly changing, somebody who dared to be very different, and one of only a few that were known by many generations.
 I have never owned one of his cd's, i think i might have to look at getting one, is there a cd with all his songs all on the one cd?.

He seemed a real 'one-off', and whether you liked his music, most would admit a loss to music, unconventional, did things his way, not enough that stand out like that now, real showmen, Freddie Mercury was another one, both were just a bit special!.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2016, 09:28:21 am by nightporter »
There'll be a greatest hits CD out soon I'll bet.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 12, 2016, 10:18:02 am by Iberian Red »

I have never owned one of his cd's, i think i might have to look at getting one, is there a cd with all his songs all on the one cd?.

It would have to be an incredibly long cd!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 12, 2016, 10:31:35 am by Mike_F »
The first music of his that I bought when I was 16 was a compilation best of 1969-73 which is as good an introduction as any, Sammy.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 12, 2016, 10:36:22 am by Lipsy »
Yeah, I think that I read yesterday that there's already been 10 Bowie greatest hits/compilations produced already.

Probably won't stop the greedy buggers making another one...

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 12, 2016, 10:41:47 am by nightporter »
"At the record company party, On their hands a dead star
The sycophantic slags all say, "I knew him first, and I knew him well"
Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package! Re-evaluate the songs
Double pack with a photograph, Extra Track (and a tacky badge)
"   

MORRISSEY.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 12, 2016, 10:04:27 pm by BobG »
A very significant part of the sound track of my youth. Never the main part, for me, but always there, challenging, changing, moving on. And that last point is why I despise, so much, the comments coming out of the Rolling Stones yesterday and today. Yesterday's men who never once, not once, ever moved one inch forwards. They have absolutely no right to pass judgement on a man so damn different, so damn superior, to them. David Bowie: now there's a hole in my life.

BobG

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 12, 2016, 10:20:21 pm by wilts rover »
Sorry Bob have I missed something? This is what it says on the Stones website:

The Rolling Stones are shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the death of our dear friend David Bowie.
As well as being a wonderful and kind man, he was an extraordinary artist, and a true original.

I struggle to find anything deserving of your ire there?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012