Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:31:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dieting and getting fit  (Read 3846 times)

jackthelad

• Forum Member
Dieting and getting fit
« on May 09, 2019, 10:50:43 pm by jackthelad »
 So then anybody got any advice? I.E good plans? Good foods to eat lots off? To avoid? Etc

Looking to slim down massively and have a bit more confidence in myself.

Started last couple of days and already feel slimmer although I’m sure it’s just in my head lol.

Started trialing having wheetabix in a morning, meal replacement shake at work and then home to a healthy meal.. only drinking water no pop or booze which is a challenge!

Going to try slim down this week then next week or so maybe incorporate some fitness in!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Dieting and getting fit
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2019, 10:57:44 pm by drfchound »
Sent you a PM.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2019, 11:03:12 pm by dknward2 »
Good on you mate, but remember be happy yourself don't do it for others.

Don't worry about numbers weight and size etc if you feel better that's all that matters

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2019, 11:05:03 pm by RedJ »
I've found substituting regular fizzy drinks for the zero sugar equivalent just by itself made a massive difference to me.

That and I now only drink black tea compared to milk and two before.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2019, 11:31:21 pm by Muttley »
I've not been (because luckily I can eat & drink anything I want and not put weight on) but i hear that Fit Rovers is an excellent programme.

https://clubdoncasterfoundation.co.uk/health-and-wellbeing/fitrovers

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2019, 11:58:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Cut out bread. Completely.

Make yourself a big tub of mueseli every weekend. Cheap bag of oats. Crush nuts. Seeds. Raisins. And have as big a bowl of it as you can eat in the morning. It sets in your stomach like concrete and releases its energy very slowly. If you're disciplined and don't have diabetes, you shouldn't need to eat till tea time.

I did that for 2 months 4-5 years ago and dropped 4-5kg.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 10, 2019, 07:34:32 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Replace bars of chocolate with an extra strong mint. Less sugar than a bar of chocolate, takes just as long to eat and stops the sugar craving

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 10, 2019, 08:04:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
Steve 'Fatty' Evans believes in a well-balanced diet - A Burger in each hand.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 10, 2019, 08:24:18 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The key thing for me was the alcohol and pop, cutting just that out has an impact.  I find when hungry drinking water quite quickly helps as it bloats and removes the hunger.  For me taking up running made a massive difference to my health both physically and mentally.  It's about finding your own balance really, find what works for you, I've found a balance that means my weight doesn't really move now and stable under 10st, which is still not that far from overweight for me (which is bonkers).

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 10, 2019, 11:35:22 am by roversontheup »
So then anybody got any advice? I.E good plans? Good foods to eat lots off? To avoid? Etc

Started last couple of days and already feel slimmer although I’m sure it’s just in my head lol.

Started trialing having wheetabix in a morning, meal replacement shake at work and then home to a healthy meal.. only drinking water no pop or booze which is a challenge!

Going to try slim down this week then next week or so maybe incorporate some fitness in!!
If you are wanting to lose weight in a healthy way and reduce risk of diabetes etc then you might find the Dr Michael Moseley ‘the fast 800’ book helpful. Only about £5 on Amazon. There are a lot of very interesting and scientifically proven facts in it which might help you. Some very common myths blown out of the water too!
Another point is that sometimes when you feel hungry it’s because you are actually thirsty so make sure you drink plenty of water.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 10, 2019, 11:59:21 am by turnbull for england »
Fit Rovers  is a excellent  route to all round benefits      Fit Rovers (fitrovers@clubdoncasterfoundation.co.uk)  and someone will get  back to you  . Ive been doing it 2 years and its going from strength  to strength 

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 10, 2019, 12:29:16 pm by podrover73 »
Another one from Michael Moseley :

the 5-2 diet

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-5-2-diet-guide

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 10, 2019, 01:25:51 pm by drfchound »

If you are wanting to lose weight in a healthy way and reduce risk of diabetes etc then you might find the Dr Michael Moseley ‘the fast 800’ book helpful. Only about £5 on Amazon. There are a lot of very interesting and scientifically proven facts in it which might help you. Some very common myths blown out of the water too!
Another point is that sometimes when you feel hungry it’s because you are actually thirsty so make sure you drink plenty of water.

£5 for a book.
He could get a good takeaway for that!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 10, 2019, 01:58:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm on the 5-2 diet.

Yesterday, for instance, I had......

Bacon and egg at 5-2 nine
Fish & chips at 5-2 twelve
Stew & dumplings at 5-2 five
Cheese & crackers at 5-2 ten

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 10, 2019, 05:29:07 pm by 5minstogo »
Don't cut out anything. You want it to be more a a lifestyle change not a diet with a beginning and an end. Download MyFitnessPal app and track everything you eat. Work on a weekly total rather than daily and that way of you have a bad day you're more likely to stick to it by bringing it back within the week.

Exercise is a big one. Even if it's just walking a few extra steps each day, being active makes a lot of difference. As much as I don't like the guy check out Jamessmithacadamy.com he speaks a lot of sense.

Losing weight is a some equation, you just need to consume less calories than you need.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 10, 2019, 06:01:23 pm by idler »
I'm on the 5-2 diet.

I bet you are 5'2" tall as well BB. 😉

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 10, 2019, 06:06:58 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm on the 5-2 diet.

I bet you are 5'2" tall as well BB. 😉

It's a nightmare finding trousers with a 48" waist and  27" leg!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 10, 2019, 06:09:12 pm by idler »
It would be a 25" leg if you didn't put the Cuban heel shoes on.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 10, 2019, 06:14:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It's a nightmare finding Cuban heels these days!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 10, 2019, 06:16:37 pm by Bentley Bullet »
They're even out of fashion in Askern!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 10, 2019, 06:19:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I usually end up going to Bradford for them!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 10, 2019, 09:56:14 pm by idler »
I usually end up going to Bradford for them!
I wondered where mine had gone.
I've got 2" turn ups at the minute.
Mind you I can carry it off.👠

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 10, 2019, 10:02:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
2" turn ups? What, on your trousers or your underpants?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 10, 2019, 10:14:25 pm by idler »
Both.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 11, 2019, 05:47:51 am by Copps is Magic »
I will second the recommendation for myfitnesspal. Great little app that really breaks down specifically what is going into your body, and it might be the 'shock' you need to make you want to change. Some general tips from me;

1. Try to cut out carbs that are high on the glycemic index (look it up). Stuff like refined sugars and bread. Your body needs carbs, but lower than most people eat and the good ones, not the bad ones.

2. DO NOT worry in any great detail about the amount of FAT in food. Turns out its largely faulty science that's been pushed as the norm for the last 30 years or so. Carbohydrates are far more important. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. If your body can get 'easy' energy from non-complex carbohydrates (think sugars and the like) what is the incentive for it to burn fat (which is essentially a store when you run out of energy)? There is non. The scientific name for what you need to do is ketosis (look it up).

3. High Intensity Interval training (look it up). You will one day thank me if you genuinely commit to this. Don't slog away on a biycle, running, or whatever for 30, 40, 50 minutes. Do this instead for much much shorter periods and you body will burn more calories.

4. Start lifting weights. Again, lifting weights has been scientifically proven to be just as good (if not better) for losing weight compared to cardio (running etc.). Most people slog away on treadmills for hours and get demotivated when they see little progress.

5. Take pictures of yourself. DO NOT regularly weigh yourself - most people will get demotivated when their weight temporarily spikes up even though they psychologically believe they are working hard. There are many complex reasons why your weight will go up and down. It might sound poncy, but psychologically its a much bigger motivator to visually see your body changing.

6. Don't listen to any fads about diets, people who tell you to eat this and eat that specific super food.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:54:48 am by Copps is Magic »

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 11, 2019, 07:20:44 am by roversontheup »
Agree with all that CIM. Which us why do was referring to Michael Moseley.  Another proven point, more about reducing fat in your liver etc, is to try to eat all your food within a certain timescale. Say 12 hours. So for example eat between 8am and 8pm but outside of that only have say water, black tea/Coffee.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 11, 2019, 10:57:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Couldn't agree more about the HIIT. It's life changing if you've got out of shape.

I do:
90 second plank
12 lunges on each leg, holding 12kg dumbbells in each hand.
15 Russian twists with a 10kg kettle bell
15 press-ups or 10 tricep dips
90 seconds flat out running on the spot.
90 seconds recovery.

Repeat 3 times.

It's 16-17 minutes of absolute hell, but it's amazing how quickly it has an effect.

Don't worry if you can't do that amount immediately. I couldn't do anything like that when I first started it a few years ago. Try it with 1/3 or 1/4 of those amounts, and without using weights. Then build up the amounts slowly. You'll be amazed how quickly you get into shape.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 11, 2019, 11:07:46 am by Bentley Bullet »
Why not just wait until we've quit the EU when there will be no food on the shelves?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:10:02 am by Bentley Bullet »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 11, 2019, 11:09:09 am by bobjimwilly »
i started using myfitnesspal recently and it's amazing how much it motivates you to eat healthy and regularly, and also reminds you to drink plenty of water (the colder the better, as your body actually burns calories heating up the cold water!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 11, 2019, 11:20:41 am by RedJ »
Why not just wait until we've quit the EU when there will be no food on the shelves?

Cos if you just starve yourself then it's much easier to put the weight back on. ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012