Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:55:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: McPlant  (Read 2470 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
McPlant
« on January 25, 2022, 08:33:10 pm by River Don »
Eating on the run today, so pulled in for a drive thru.

I decided to take a risk on a McPlant burger, I haven't thought of trying a meat alternative before but wondered how close it would compare.

It's not exactly like mince beef but it's not a bad product. It surprised me I admit. A little bit more healthy too, though it's still junk food.

I would order it again in future.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: McPlant
« Reply #1 on January 25, 2022, 08:46:01 pm by rich1471 »
I work as a chef and there is a lot of good meat alternatives on the market and some of the burgers are very good.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 25, 2022, 08:49:51 pm by glosterred »
If people don’t want to eat meat products, why do they want plant based products, sausages, burgers etc, shape like meat products?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 25, 2022, 08:50:04 pm by belton rover »
I thought we’d signed someone else there for a second.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 25, 2022, 09:00:59 pm by River Don »
If people don’t want to eat meat products, why do they want plant based products, sausages, burgers etc, shape like meat products?

I love red meat but I do know too much of it is unhealthy, particularly processed meats like bacon.

So, if they can develop alternatives that are healthier, then I'm not averse to trying them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 25, 2022, 09:29:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I love red meat but I do know too much of it is unhealthy, particularly processed meats like bacon.

So, if they can develop alternatives that are healthier, then I'm not averse to trying them.

My youngest decided to go vegetarian a couple of years ago. It's been quite an eye opener seeing what brilliant quality meat replacements there are now. There's a place called Make No Bones in Sheffield that does burgers as tasty as any meat ones, and with very nearly the same consistency.

It's definitely the future.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 25, 2022, 10:11:47 pm by River Don »
My sister is a veggie but she is pretty hardcore about it. I doubt she'd eat McDonalds whatever. Her sort of vegetarianism involves far too much aubergine for my liking!

I'll never stop eating meat but the idea of burger and sausage substitutes based on plant protein is alright. I'll try more now. Then go for high quality steaks and joints for the real thing now and again.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 25, 2022, 10:21:32 pm by tommy toes »
Mrs Toes is the same RD.
Aubergines with everything. Bloody awful things.
Courgettes are the same.
Boody awful.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 25, 2022, 11:22:48 pm by BVB »
A) as a support to those that want to make the transition from a meat to a no-meat diet
B) so that meat eaters don’t feel awkward when sharing meal times with non-meat eaters..
 ;) ;) ;)

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 26, 2022, 12:03:42 am by rich1471 »

[/quote I have tried vegan sausage,burgers and kebab meat which is all very good, vegan style chicken is hit and miss, but I do like using paneer cheese and monk fish in curry instead of meat and making a 3 bean chilli and cutting out meat now and then, even had a vegan pepperoni crumb which is a great substitute for meat, and for me it's the fact we cut down more of the rain Forrest to craze castle for meat than they do for logging ,even swapping meat out once a week all helps.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 26, 2022, 12:10:01 am by River Don »
Vegan... Kebab meat?!

Intriguing.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 26, 2022, 12:14:32 am by rich1471 »
Vegan... Kebab meat?!

Intriguing.
it was really good ,Tesco do it ,it surprised me how nice it was.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 26, 2022, 06:42:14 am by SydneyRover »
We don't look for meat substitutes, although tofu I think was sold as a sort of substitute decades ago, we just eat less meat. There is plenty of other foods to make or base meals around. The bonus being that we don't have to worry too much about our weight.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 26, 2022, 08:58:31 am by phil old leake »
I think I read an article about the Burger King one in USA and it had really taken off as a best seller

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 26, 2022, 09:30:50 am by Metalmicky »
Vegan... Kebab meat?!

Intriguing.

Morrison's (and others) sell a Veggie Shawarma Kebab meat substitute which is very good...... and less than 250 calories per packet.
Whack it in a wrap/pitta with some peppers/lettuce/cucumber/tomato/coleslaw and some mayo/garlic sauce... job done.

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/vivera-veggie-shawarma-kebab-431086011

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 26, 2022, 09:45:52 am by rich1471 »
We don't look for meat substitutes, although tofu I think was sold as a sort of substitute decades ago, we just eat less meat. There is plenty of other foods to make or base meals around. The bonus being that we don't have to worry too much about our weight.
tofu years ago was the only real options as a meat substitute and I always find it goes sloppy when put in curries or you cook with it, loads of really good veg and vegan options out on the market now.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 26, 2022, 10:14:02 am by Axholme Lion »

I thought the same, it just doesn't make sense to me. I eat a lot of veg but i do like good quality meat. I prefer to eat better quality meat but less of it. A good balance is the best bet in my book.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 26, 2022, 10:19:22 am by SydneyRover »

I thought the same, it just doesn't make sense to me. I eat a lot of veg but i do like good quality meat. I prefer to eat better quality meat but less of it. A good balance is the best bet in my book.

It's one of those things that's not worth getting into bed about aye?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 26, 2022, 10:42:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »

What shape do you think would fit better in a burger bun than a burger shape?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 26, 2022, 11:42:19 am by ravenrover »
There is currently a programme on 5 Go veggie and vegan  with Matt Tebutt. My wife is virtually meat free but I like my meat, however some of the recipes he has done look very tasty and I'm willing to give them a go

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 26, 2022, 11:45:50 am by belton rover »

Gloster - you do know that when you open up an animal, sausages and burgers don’t fall out, don’t you?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 26, 2022, 12:13:23 pm by glosterred »

Gloster - you do know that when you open up an animal, sausages and burgers don’t fall out, don’t you?

Wow, who knew. But as of yet no one as answered the question why if you don’t want to eat meat, why do you want to eat meat shaped products.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 26, 2022, 01:06:35 pm by Axholme Lion »

Wow, who knew. But as of yet no one as answered the question why if you don’t want to eat meat, why do you want to eat meat shaped products.

Maybe it's food manufacturers trying to look trendy? I see they're always banging on about not drinking milk anymore. Life won't be worth living soon will it?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 26, 2022, 01:07:43 pm by belton rover »

Burgers aren’t meat shaped. They’re round.

Why would anyone want to eat meat when it’s not meat shaped?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:14:00 pm by belton rover »

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 26, 2022, 01:12:29 pm by glosterred »

Still not answering the question are you

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 26, 2022, 01:15:25 pm by belton rover »

I’m not sure what you are getting at.
A plant based, round burger, isn’t meat shaped.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 26, 2022, 01:54:09 pm by Axholme Lion »
Burgers and sausages are the traditional shape of formed meat.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 26, 2022, 02:00:10 pm by belton rover »
So are Wagon Wheels and pancakes.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 26, 2022, 02:08:14 pm by River Don »
And fish cakes and potato croquet have the same forms.

What's wrong with the answer that I like the idea of eating something that looks and tastes like a meat product but is healthier?

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 26, 2022, 02:08:36 pm by keyser_soze »

I’m not sure what you are getting at.
A plant based, round burger, isn’t meat shaped.

Off the top of my head tried to think of any processed meat product that was actually meat shaped. I came up with Bernard Matthews Turkey Drummers.

What he's getting at is 'you don't want to eat meat, so why do you want something that looks/tastes/feels like meat' - and the answer is simple, lots of people do enjoy meat, but don't enjoy the ethical/health implications that come with it, so are looking for a substitute.

Tickles me that something processed into a very uniform cylindrical or flat circular shape is classed as 'meat shape'

TinyPortal © 2005-2012