Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:29:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Steven Taylor  (Read 12713 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Steven Taylor
« Reply #60 on July 25, 2017, 04:26:24 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I must admit, it's got me scratching my head. On the one hand we're told there's nothing wrong with the budget and it's competitive and yet the truth of the matter is we seem to be struggling to get what the manager has claimed he wants. Even the rose-tinted mob must be starting to squirm a bit.

I'm not rose tinted, I don't see the panic and as to what Fergie is saying in the press I'm taking with a pinch of salt.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on July 25, 2017, 04:28:41 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I must admit, it's got me scratching my head. On the one hand we're told there's nothing wrong with the budget and it's competitive and yet the truth of the matter is we seem to be struggling to get what the manager has claimed he wants. Even the rose-tinted mob must be starting to squirm a bit.

Its blatant that the funds aren't there for Fergie this season.
We must be so far down the shortlist now,must be scraping the barrel!

Is it? I doubt we would have offered either player a two year contract, one due to injuries and the other age but obviously it's the budget

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 25, 2017, 04:29:51 pm by selby »
I will give way with Taylor,we must have thought he could come to us or he would not have played in a game.But Greer being mentioned was because I saw a report by a Bradford journalist, and a thread on the City forum about him signing for us.
   Obviously not true,so how has it become that he was ever a realistic target of Fergie.
   As I have said in another thread,I would much rather us go for someone like Kyle Howkins on loan,as I think we are well served with the two experienced players we have,and covered with the two younger players, who in Wrights case will be expected to press for a start this season anyway.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 25, 2017, 05:08:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
We'll see who the next person is on the list, tomorrow night (I presume). I've read the Bury preview of their thoughts on us and it would seem the whole division know exactly where we are short.

We either sort it before the kick off or, rest assured, teams will be well versed in how to get at us, particularly in the early matches.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 25, 2017, 05:32:12 pm by silent majority »
And I repeat yet again that DF is being patient and waiting for the right person to fill the spaces we have left.

Why do people assume that Taylor or Greer were top of the list? Neither was ever on our short list to begin with, yes they became available but they weren't identified initially.

And until the PL clubs finalise their player lists we may not be finalising our squad either.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 25, 2017, 05:57:12 pm by MrFrost »
And I repeat yet again that DF is being patient and waiting for the right person to fill the spaces we have left.

Why do people assume that Taylor or Greer were top of the list? Neither was ever on our short list to begin with, yes they became available but they weren't identified initially.

And until the PL clubs finalise their player lists we may not be finalising our squad either.

Ferguson said he wanted to sign  Tàylor. If he wasn't the right person then why start discussing a move with him?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 25, 2017, 05:58:45 pm by Nudga »
The usual babies shitting in their nappies again. Does my f**kin head in. Chill out and see what pans out.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on July 25, 2017, 06:01:23 pm by roversdude »
Peterborough have just had a big pay day so can afford to spend on players -if we offered Taylor £x and they offered £x+y then it's a no brainer

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 25, 2017, 06:02:45 pm by selby »
Nobody could have put it better Nudga.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 25, 2017, 06:02:53 pm by MrFrost »
Ferguson says in the interview with the free press it was down to money and not the two year contract. We couldn't afford him.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 25, 2017, 06:07:46 pm by balbyrover »

Ferguson said he wanted to sign  Tàylor. If he wasn't the right person then why start discussing a move with him?

He also said we've spoke with Greer.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 25, 2017, 06:09:27 pm by vaya »
Ferguson says in the interview with the free press it was down to money and not the two year contract. We couldn't afford him.

Couldn't afford him, or didn't think he was worth it?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 25, 2017, 06:10:04 pm by mushRTID »
I don't understand why it's either a really experienced pro or a really young loanee being discussed.

Why can't we go and pinch a solid middle aged bloke from league two ready for his step up? We've got a bit of money to spend haven't we?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 25, 2017, 06:21:59 pm by MrFrost »

Couldn't afford him, or didn't think he was worth it?

Read the interview

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on July 25, 2017, 06:24:08 pm by roversdude »
There is a difference between not being able to afford and not thinking he was worth his demands

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 25, 2017, 06:27:19 pm by wilts rover »

How much do you think we should have paid him?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 25, 2017, 06:29:13 pm by MrFrost »

That isn't my decision. The interview is pretty clear that we couldn't meet his demands.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 25, 2017, 06:33:42 pm by StocktonRover »
I've heard the clincher was that we couldn't provide his missus a nursing job at Ipswich 😏

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on July 25, 2017, 06:35:00 pm by dickos1 »
That doesn't mean we couldn't afford him, it means we didn't want to spend that much on him.
How many games he played in last 5 years?
And you're wanting us to splash a load of money on him.

It's very risky from Peterborough, to give someone like him a two year deal is daft

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 25, 2017, 06:35:36 pm by Jonathan »
I don't understand why it's either a really experienced pro or a really young loanee being discussed.

Why can't we go and pinch a solid middle aged bloke from league two ready for his step up? We've got a bit of money to spend haven't we?

I agree. Apparently our scouts spent a fair portion of last season watching Lincoln City. They have a central defender (Raggett) who has racked up considerable experience but still has his best years ahead of him and has attracted a bit of interest. I'd rather we went for someone like that.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on July 25, 2017, 06:37:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

That isn't my decision. The interview is pretty clear that we couldn't meet his demands.

So what's your point. As I said to you earlier, he wasn't a target (which you dismissed) hence there wasn't a financial provision made for him.

Obviously once he made himself available then they're tried to do a deal however, he's secured a better financial package elsewhere. End of.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 25, 2017, 06:42:48 pm by MrFrost »

So what's your point. As I said to you earlier, he wasn't a target (which you dismissed) hence there wasn't a financial provision made for him.

Obviously once he made himself available then they're tried to do a deal however, he's secured a better financial package elsewhere. End of.
He was a target, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered having him on trial.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on July 25, 2017, 06:43:28 pm by MrFrost »
That doesn't mean we couldn't afford him, it means we didn't want to spend that much on him.

It's very risky from Peterborough, to give someone like him a two year deal is daft
How do to you know that's what it means. It isn't what Ferguson says in the interview
Ferguson indicates we would have offered him a two year deal. That wasn't the issue.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:45:42 pm by MrFrost »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 25, 2017, 06:48:35 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Roger Johnson
Zak Whitbread
Kelvin Wilson
Marcin Wasilewski
Wes Brown
Neal Trotman
Alex Bruce
Mike Williamson
Lewin Nyatanga
Fitz Hall
Danny Gabbidon
Tom Flanagan
Will Packwood
Paul Quinn
Clint Hill
Brian McLean
Danny Seaborne

All available on frees.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:53:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 25, 2017, 06:50:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He wasn't a target that DF had on his original list and made provision for the budget! He became available and was offered a trial and Fergie wanted to sign him.

Once you accept that, then you may be able to understand why we couldn't match what he wants.

No great loss in my opinion but no doubt the bugger will prove me wrong now!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on July 25, 2017, 06:57:32 pm by silent majority »

How do to you know that's what it means. It isn't what Ferguson says in the interview
Ferguson indicates we would have offered him a two year deal. That wasn't the issue.

That's not accurate either, what DF said was;

Ferguson denied the two-year deal offered to Taylor by Peterborough was the determining factor. He said: "It wasn't anything to do with that. "It was more about the whole structure of the deal.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 25, 2017, 07:01:19 pm by MrFrost »

Ferguson denied the two-year deal offered to Taylor by Peterborough was the determining factor. He said: "It wasn't anything to do with that. "It was more about the whole structure of the deal.

Paint it up how you like. It clearly indicates we would have offered two years.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on July 25, 2017, 07:03:05 pm by roversdude »
No point in letting facts get in the way of usual doom and gloom arguments

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 25, 2017, 07:04:42 pm by silent majority »

Paint it up how you like. It clearly indicates we would have offered two years.

I'm not painting it any colour, but what I am doing is quoting the man as reported and not interpreting it meet my negative opinion.

But what it probably means is we didn't want to tie up a significant portion of our budget, on someone who couldn't guarantee to get through a two year contract. To me that makes common sense.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on July 25, 2017, 07:07:49 pm by drfc1951 »
How much of the budget has gone on giving Marquis a 3 year deal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012