Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:44:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Flower of Scotland  (Read 2726 times)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
Re: Flower of Scotland
« Reply #30 on September 14, 2023, 10:38:07 am by Bessie Red »
We should have Land Of Hope And Glory as our national anthem.
Nah, Jerusalem should be England's anthem!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 15, 2023, 05:41:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
We should have Land Of Hope And Glory as our national anthem.
Nah, Jerusalem should be England's anthem!

I'd ignore Jerusalem as much as I do God Save The King.

I'd go for something secular and non-royal, such as this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teFJH41_gnU

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 15, 2023, 08:01:42 pm by foxbat »
excellent music 'Jerusalem',  but absolute nonsense lyrics. William Blake seemed to believe that , somehow,  london had been built over Jerusalem

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 15, 2023, 08:24:32 pm by scawsby steve »
It seems that a lot of people would like a new anthem with lyrics befitting modern England.

I don't know how that's possible. I can't imagine an anthem being written that includes vicious dogs, guns, knives, drugs, paedophilia, and foul-mouthed violent women.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 15, 2023, 08:43:35 pm by DRFC_AjA »
It seems that a lot of people would like a new anthem with lyrics befitting modern England.

I don't know how that's possible. I can't imagine an anthem being written that includes vicious dogs, guns, knives, drugs, paedophilia, and foul-mouthed violent women.

"If you tolerate this..." by the Manics  :laugh: should be our anthem. It applies to all English walks of life  :silly: the government screwing everyone over, the police no longer solving crime, the scummies who think growing weed and sitting on the dole is a life, gun gangs, etc

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 15, 2023, 10:00:46 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Blimey Steve - That's a pretty negative view of life! There are many, many more decent people in the country than not. Trust me mate, you don't have to go far to find them. My estate in deepest, darkest Sarf London looks terrible on the face of it and every time I read something about it in the local rag its negative. Whilst there are a few problem families, the vast majority are very decent people of all ages, colours and religions. I think that sums up the country as a whole.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 15, 2023, 10:05:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I'd write the verse on miserable pensioners.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 15, 2023, 10:11:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What about Vindaloo?

It's anthemic.

It reflects the country we live in.

It has aspirations for England to face all the challenges the rest of the world can muster, secure in the belief that we'll come out on top.

And it doesn't plead for some supernatural being to protect the distant relative of whichever gang of thugs was successful enough to dominate society a thousand years ago.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 15, 2023, 10:28:57 pm by scawsby steve »

I'd write the verse on miserable pensioners.

You do plenty of moaning yourself, BST, about things that don't suit your agenda.

If you're OK with the things I've mentioned, or are delusional enough to deny they're happening, then knock yourself out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 15, 2023, 10:44:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm more optimistic about our country SS. I know those things exist. But I don't  think they define us, any more than a minority of moaning pensioners do.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 15, 2023, 10:53:09 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm more optimistic about our country SS. I know those things exist. But I don't  think they define us, any more than a minority of moaning pensioners do.

You didn't sound optimistic when going on all the time about Brexit, the Tories, Johnson, and even Corbyn, when you went off on a hissy fit about him on the night of the GE.

Glass houses and all that.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 15, 2023, 10:53:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST, I'm sure if you checked out the stats you'd realise that on this forum the vast majority of moaning pensioners are Labour supporters whining about the type of problems that SS mentioned, and blaming the Tories for them.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 15, 2023, 11:20:18 pm by SydneyRover »
Ann Widdecombe would probably snot you Steve

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 15, 2023, 11:27:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I reckon she'd rather snot someone who can't respond to the subject so attempts to divert it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 16, 2023, 12:20:55 am by SydneyRover »
I reckon total inclusion and educating people about discrimination including the casual discrimination of women that works against the hard work put in is what Club Doncaster is all about and has been awarded for doing so.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 16, 2023, 09:05:00 am by redwine »

Anyone in particular, Billy?

:lol:

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 16, 2023, 09:14:17 am by coventryrover »
I do like Flower of Scotland.

The French and Italian anthems are the best.
Same.     England's is lamentable

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 16, 2023, 12:02:38 pm by ForsolongaRover »
If DGS means anything to any of you, you might remember the old School Song. It was all in Latin and I don’t think it mentioned Doncaster or Danum for that matter! But we do have some Roman history pre-dating the Treaty of Durham.

Anyway the point is that it did have quite a stirring tune and was a bit different from the standard “Jerusalem” with its rather fanciful “lyrics”. Far too elitist for today’s world though I suppose, let alone the modern football fan!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 16, 2023, 12:23:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Anyone in particular, Billy?

:lol:

No-one. But on average, they ARE a bit miserable and pessimistic.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 16, 2023, 03:20:05 pm by scawsby steve »
Back on topic, I've no Welsh connections whatsoever, but their anthem goes straight through my soul. The best in the world IMO.

However, the Rugby World Cup managed to make a b*ll*cks of it, as they have every anthem.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 17, 2023, 12:03:31 am by grayx »
Sorry, but despite never supporting Scotland in anything, i love their “ flower of Scotland” anthem.
Our English anthem is painful.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 17, 2023, 09:10:07 am by Colin C No.3 »
I don’t want to ‘save our gracious king’, I want to stick him in a two bedroom terrace in the centre of Blackburn.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 17, 2023, 04:48:16 pm by Goole Rover »
I do like Flower of Scotland.

The French and Italian anthems are the best.
As a past reservist and thankfully never required to go to war unlike many of our brave lads past and present i know who i would sooner go into battle with, a Scotsman every time never mind the anthem.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012