Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:58:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 8084 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« on November 01, 2020, 09:55:34 am by selby »
 From what I have read on Tuesday we have the honour of playing the first league game at Wimbledon's brand new stadium which has been a thirty year ambition of the club. A fantastic victory against everything the football authorities have done little to help, and have even done their best to steel and move their identity elsewhere.
 Coming back to this point after going through what the club has had to come through has nothing but my highest admiration, and a lesson to certain senior administrators of the game that the game DOES NOT BELONG TO THEM, and whatever underhand agreements and back room  meetings supporters of the game and clubs will not be cowered by underhand agreements and conniving to run the game for their own ends. Where their is a will to stand up to their trying to dominate all the game proper football supporters will always win.
  Fantastic, and well done Wimbledon, apart from the small issue of three points on Tuesday evening and us managing to be the first team to win in your fantastic looking stadium, I am sure others here will join me in wishing you all the best for what looks like a bright future.
  On to the game, thank god we are not playing at that jinx ground Kingsmeadow quaint as it was and the  welcoming clubhouse I came to hate the place which seemed to have the unnerving ability to turn all our players into complete donkeys and no matter how well we were playing in previous games turn into a team of bumbling players who had never met before.
  Will we be inspired by brand new fantastic looking surroundings, I sincerely hope so, and see no reason why not, we will need to be because the Wimbledon players will want to get off to a great start and will be enthused no doubt.
  Pigott up front is a player that last season seamed to take us on by himself as a one man attack, and gave us as much trouble as any player all season, so one to be wary of.
  In their last eight games they have only let in six goals and have kept four clean sheets so their defence with Csoka and Thomas being big players for them, so we will have to overcome a decent  side and also the enthusiasm generated by new surroundings.
  What personnel make up our team I will leave to others to put forward, our squad being used as a squad, and the players doing well so who plays I have no problems with or the permutation. If returning players come back in the not too distant future to my mind we have as good an all round squad as we have had for some time with little to choose between the various players vying for a start, well done that manager and the board.
  Are you up for daring to try and match Darren's choice of team selection?
  Will we change formation and play a different set up?
  A new stadium luxurious compared with Kingsmeadow, would you like me have gone to this game in normal circumstances?
  Can we keep up the pressure on the teams above by being the first team to win at the new stadium?
   Lot's to discuss about this game, both as a game and other subjects surrounding it, everyone is welcome please have your say, especially any Wimbledon supporters you are all most welcome.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #1 on November 01, 2020, 10:07:03 am by Alickismyhero »

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 01, 2020, 10:46:09 am by Alickismyhero »
I was looking forward to seeing the new stadium as its one of the closest for me.

The one feature I will miss from the old ground was when the ball left head height guessing where it will com down!

It still means going around the M25 Europe's largest car park.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 01, 2020, 12:03:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Their home record in the league this season is pretty poor. Played four, won one (1-0), drawn one and lost two. Their single win at home was vs 9 (nine!) man Blackpool including one guy sent off in first half.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 01, 2020, 12:13:46 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
AFC Wimbledon's new stadium and FCUM away all in the space of a few days. 2 stadiums/away days I'm sure many of us would love to experience.

Nevertheless, 3 points and a ball in the hat come this time next week, please. COYR!!!!

:bbscarf:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 01, 2020, 12:26:13 pm by Campsall rover »
AFC Wimbledon's new stadium and FCUM away all in the space of a few days. 2 stadiums/away days I'm sure many of us would love to experience.

Nevertheless, 3 points and a ball in the hat come this time next week, please. COYR!!!!

If the FA cup tie is allowed to go ahead.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 01, 2020, 12:33:32 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »

If the FA cup tie is allowed to go ahead.

I'm assuming it may not go ahead due to FCUM being semi-pro?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 01, 2020, 12:48:20 pm by selby »
 Will they have to forfeit the game then? an outcome I am completely against if so, I prefer the game to be played.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 01, 2020, 12:53:38 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Will they have to forfeit the game then? an outcome I am completely against if so, I prefer the game to be played.

Yes, same here. Not going to complain at progression in the cup for the cash, though.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 01, 2020, 12:54:59 pm by drfchound »

I would be against it too but to keep the competition going it would be logical to award us a bye, a bit like the authorities did with Spurs earlier in the season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 01, 2020, 01:00:46 pm by selby »
  It was that game that put it in my mind Hound, typical if we lose one of the few games we would make a few bob on with TV money, and just our luck if it happens.
  Surely there is notice time to get players tested and solve the problem, especially now publicity has been given to the new quick result tests now available.
  Or is that too simple?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 01, 2020, 01:08:39 pm by selby »
Chris Black  come back, you do know that you are pushing our fates to the limits and spreading false hope with statistics like that don't you?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 01, 2020, 01:20:36 pm by Campsall rover »
Chris Black  come back, you do know that you are pushing our fates to the limits and spreading false hope with statistics like that don't you?
CBcb is determined to put the kyber on us with his stats.

I will get told off now as stats don’t determine results of matches.
He is right but we do have a habit of confounding the stats and none more so than at AFC Wimbledon where our record is well shall we say awful.
New ground this time so let’s get that bogey put to bed and come back with the 3 points. PLEASE.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 01, 2020, 01:34:09 pm by Janso »
You do both realise nothing we say or do has any impact on what's going to happen, don't you?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 01, 2020, 02:11:52 pm by Campsall rover »
You do both realise nothing we say or do has any impact on what's going to happen, don't you?
Ha ha Janso. Did CBcb ask you to post that.  ;)   
Well actually i do because i am superstitious.  :facepalm:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 01, 2020, 04:31:55 pm by drfchound »
I am very superstitious.
I hate it when people tempt fate.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 01, 2020, 08:50:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I am very superstitious.
I hate it when people tempt fate.

I'm with you hound! People say some really silly things that don't need to be said at inopportune moments! Even Goodwin doing the match summary has resorted to going into 'glass half empty' mode tempting fate, albeit it wasn't effective on Saturday thank goodness.

Not got a great record at Wimbledon have we, and would it be rude to spoil the party?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 01, 2020, 09:31:10 pm by NickDRFC »
Is superstition a generational thing? My dad is very superstitious, as is my mother-in-law, but I don’t think I know anyone under the age of 40 who is.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 01, 2020, 09:36:46 pm by idler »
Is superstition a generational thing? My dad is very superstitious, as is my mother-in-law, but I don’t think I know anyone under the age of 40 who is.
Neither do I. Touch wood.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:15:45 am by idler »

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 01, 2020, 09:46:56 pm by albie »
Some pics of the new Wimbledon stadium on this thread;
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/england-stadium-and-arena-development-news.661500/page-451

Scroll down to see them!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 01, 2020, 09:53:39 pm by sha66y »
It would be a great gesture from the club to allow the bye to the non league team, if we are to be seen to be less mercenary than the PL and Championship.....

I mean , ....a lot on here spout about the lower league teams being the life blood n all.......or are we far too important o help out a team that could benefit greatly from this charitable act....

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 01, 2020, 09:57:35 pm by drfchound »
It would be a great gesture from the club to allow the bye to the non league team, if we are to be seen to be less mercenary than the PL and Championship.....

I mean , ....a lot on here spout about the lower league teams being the life blood n all.......or are we far too important o help out a team that could benefit greatly from this charitable act....

Interesting thought but that could then lead to FCUM getting a bye to R3 as the second round is due to be played before the lockdown ends.
What would happen if two non elite sides are drawn together?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 01, 2020, 10:13:15 pm by sha66y »

Interesting thought but that could then lead to FCUM getting a bye to R3 as the second round is due to be played before the lockdown ends.
What would happen if two non elite sides are drawn together?

It’s the gesture that counts....not necessarily the outcome...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 01, 2020, 10:25:55 pm by drfchound »
Of course it is.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 01, 2020, 10:33:09 pm by the vicar »

I would be against it too but to keep the competition going it would be logical to award us a bye, a bit like the authorities did with Spurs earlier in the season.
there won’t be many games played in the FA cup if they stop them playing as there is very little league team fixtures in the first round

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 01, 2020, 10:37:19 pm by the vicar »
As for Wimbledon that is the sort of team that would beat us the so called lesser clubs, we have no problem with the top sides

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 02, 2020, 05:46:38 am by godlike1 »
As for Wimbledon that is the sort of team that would beat us the so called lesser clubs, we have no problem with the top sides

Sorry but I don't like the phrase "the so called lesser clubs" you'd probably have said that about Wycombe last season yet see which league they are in now.

We've earnt nothing yet and have never liked to be called "the likes of doncaster" let's not start that now and actually give Wimbledon the respect they deserve.

I think this will be one of our toughest games yet. They are doing well this season, plus will want to start well in their new ground even with no fans there. They're only 3 points behind us and all games have been close so far. I've no doubt they will have seen how suspect bursik was on Sat and will be targeting that quiet rightly.

I obviously want 3 points but if we get a draw i think that can still be classed as a good result. I'm thinking 2-2

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 02, 2020, 07:32:55 am by Donnywolf »
I agree - they will maybe have the new Ground "bounce" but wont have the Fans there as we did v Huddersfield when opening the Keepmoat

They will be tough to beat but hopefully it can be done - because we are 11 v 11 (at the KO) and we are not playing against the Ground

I am waiting for the Crystal Ball to "mark my card" on the result before entering PvO this week

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 02, 2020, 08:17:24 am by Alan Southstand »
Ben Whiteman has already been quoted in the YP about learning to win ugly, if we are to mount a challenge. Tuesday night seems like a good time to put that into practice, as Wimbledon games are never easy.

Hopefully, the injured lads are back into contention this week, including the long lost Tulloch! (Did we actually sign him?). It will ease the burden a little and increase the choices off the bench if JJ, Richards and Gomez are back with us. We’ve covered Tulloch’s loss by a combination of Taylor, Sims and Lokilo, but to have the lad back fit and available would be equally pleasing.

I must admit, Smith’s contribution higher up the pitch, v Lincoln, was an eye-opener but I’m not sure Reece James could match Gomez or Richards in that defensive slot.

I hope for, rather than expect, 3 points on Tuesday.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 02, 2020, 08:48:31 am by the vicar »

Sorry but I don't like the phrase "the so called lesser clubs" you'd probably have said that about Wycombe last season yet see which league they are in now.

We've earnt nothing yet and have never liked to be called "the likes of doncaster" let's not start that now and actually give Wimbledon the respect they deserve.

I think this will be one of our toughest games yet. They are doing well this season, plus will want to start well in their new ground even with no fans there. They're only 3 points behind us and all games have been close so far. I've no doubt they will have seen how suspect bursik was on Sat and will be targeting that quiet rightly.

I obviously want 3 points but if we get a draw i think that can still be classed as a good result. I'm thinking 2-2
ok IF YOU LIKE teams below us in the league, is that better

TinyPortal © 2005-2012