Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:15:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 8100 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #90 on November 03, 2020, 10:38:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
What is worrying is no straight answer on when the other two lads are coming back.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on November 03, 2020, 10:41:43 pm by RoversAlias »
That was utter rubbish 2 points lost
What, we murdered them. The Wimbledon commentators were very impressed with us constantly calling us a quality side.
We just lacked an end product.  If we had one then we would have scored at least 5 goals.

Agree with your post Campsall but why were you listening to the opposition commentary?

Hound, think you're bang on with Fej. Feel people are being too harsh on him tonight.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on November 03, 2020, 10:42:02 pm by dickos1 »
You get nothing in football 🥅 if you dominate a game and you can’t score goals

Agreed but that doesn’t mean we were utter rubbish

We weren’t

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on November 03, 2020, 10:48:07 pm by Jersey Rover »
We play a mobile, ball to feet quick passing game, we need a mobile centre forward capable of moving off the ball making space receiving and attacking the goal. Fej is not that. At best he’s an old fashioned big target man. Not our style, I’d put Simms in there he’s more than capable

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on November 03, 2020, 10:49:32 pm by the vicar »
No we were good in midfield but defence we went to sleep twice and in attacking was non existant

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on November 03, 2020, 10:50:30 pm by hoolahoop »
As for Wimbledon that is the sort of team that would beat us the so called lesser clubs, we have no problem with the top sides

Sorry but I don't like the phrase "the so called lesser clubs" you'd probably have said that about Wycombe last season yet see which league they are in now.

We've earnt nothing yet and have never liked to be called "the likes of doncaster" let's not start that now and actually give Wimbledon the respect they deserve.

I think this will be one of our toughest games yet. They are doing well this season, plus will want to start well in their new ground even with no fans there. They're only 3 points behind us and all games have been close so far. I've no doubt they will have seen how suspect bursik was on Sat and will be targeting that quiet rightly.

I obviously want 3 points but if we get a draw i think that can still be classed as a good result. I'm thinking 2-2

Bit tough on vicar there and we do revel in " the likes of Donny " - we wear it like a badge of honour .
Godlike this is a " lesser team " a team below us and certainly not the size of say Ipswich .

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on November 03, 2020, 10:53:00 pm by no eyed deer »
2 points dropped that because they were bloody shite.
2 points dropped because we only scored 2 goals. To say that was shite is a ridiculous statement imo.
We tore them apart with our quality passing game. The football was of a very high standard and SOD would have been very proud of that possession football we played tonight.

Hate to agree with you... but I do.

Was a joy to watch.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on November 03, 2020, 10:57:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Fejiri was really out of sorts tonight. He’s worked hard and sometimes played well since coming back into the team but maybe tonight was a game too far for him and we desperately need some cover/competition, even someone we can bring off the bench.

Seems like history is repeating itself a bit. Time to dig through the little black book and see what Thomas and Bingham are up to ;)

Funnily enough I was just thinking about Bingham and Fejiri's performance tonight. Thing is, Bingham improved.

Fejiri had a storming game v Ipswich and you think, at last, he's hitting form. Some of his play tonight was nothing due to form though and at best, it could be fatigue, at worst, he just couldn't be arsed. I'd like to give him the benefit of doubt and say fatigue because he hasnt got a back up at the mo.

I think it is more likely that your last sentence is the more accurate mate.
He is ploughing a lone furrow with very little support and two games a week in a month is very hard on him.

It's hard on every player hound, particularly the ever presents for whom there is also no hiding place but their standards are surpassing Fejiri's at the mo. I really want him to come good as he's better than that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on November 03, 2020, 11:32:48 pm by selby »
  When last season was curtailed and this pre- season started we all watched our centre forward and thought we had a replacement for Marquis in the making.
 Then what happened along comes a youngster from a premiership side who we are assured there is no he has to play or you pay clause , but it makes no difference at all our decent centre forward is parked on the bench even before the loanee plays a game.
 That has completely destroyed the trust between the manager and player in my mind, there is definitely something wrong there, and the player thinks no matter what I do when JJ returns I am out, and to me he might be right, trust a little word that goes a long way.
 Then up to a fortnight ago every game we were  praising our back four and especially the two central defenders who were looking like Jones and McComb solid as rocks backed up by two good hard running  good defenders at full back and we were not letting goals in.
  So what do we do play one full back in midfield drop the other full back and move a central defender wider.
  It has disrupted the spine of the team which was solid at the back and looked dangerous up front, and people wonder why we don't put consistent runs of results together.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on November 03, 2020, 11:49:29 pm by RoversAlias »
Can't agree with any of that Selby, it's complete conjecture to suggest trust has broken down between Fejiri and Moore...all because ue didn't play for a couple of games! That one really needs putting to bed.

As for the surprise tactical changes...we beat the league leaders after doing it!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on November 03, 2020, 11:52:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
Four tough league fixtures in a row ahead.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on November 03, 2020, 11:54:29 pm by since-1969 »
Injuries at vital times is what is costing us points and performance in-front of goal with the lack of variation possible with only one target man .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on November 04, 2020, 12:18:32 am by selby »
  RA, we are tinkering, it does not work never has as far as putting a run of winning results together.
  I would have no problems with starting Saturdays game with the same side again, but would not put money on it, nor do I think it is the best line up we can play with the players we have at our disposal.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on November 04, 2020, 03:05:43 am by scawsby steve »
One problem I've noticed is a vulnerability when defending our right flank. All 4 goals conceded at Plymouth and Wimbledon were identical, with low crosses coming in from the left and flat-footing our defenders.

I've no technical knowledge on training and coaching methods, but surely something occurring as regularly as that can be worked upon on the training ground?

Robbo

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on November 04, 2020, 05:59:00 am by Robbo »
For most part all we wanted to do is walk it in.  We meet to learn how to open a defence up that park the bus
Totally agree. Think we need to —- shoot more.
I believe the majority of our goals Earlier in the season were shots from outside the box. A shot can rebound, deflect or cause defence problems and resultant chances if not dealt with. Shoot more - score more.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on November 04, 2020, 06:19:56 am by dickos1 »
  When last season was curtailed and this pre- season started we all watched our centre forward and thought we had a replacement for Marquis in the making.
 Then what happened along comes a youngster from a premiership side who we are assured there is no he has to play or you pay clause , but it makes no difference at all our decent centre forward is parked on the bench even before the loanee plays a game.
 That has completely destroyed the trust between the manager and player in my mind, there is definitely something wrong there, and the player thinks no matter what I do when JJ returns I am out, and to me he might be right, trust a little word that goes a long way.
 Then up to a fortnight ago every game we were  praising our back four and especially the two central defenders who were looking like Jones and McComb solid as rocks backed up by two good hard running  good defenders at full back and we were not letting goals in.
  So what do we do play one full back in midfield drop the other full back and move a central defender wider.
  It has disrupted the spine of the team which was solid at the back and looked dangerous up front, and people wonder why we don't put consistent runs of results together.

If that’s Fejis mentality then it’s all wrong
He should be making it impossible to be dropped, but in reality he’s making it easy for Moore to drop
Him

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on November 04, 2020, 07:29:13 am by Alan Southstand »
The manager is not ‘tinkering’, he’s doing the best to keep (what few) players he has available, fresh. The only problem is he can’t do that with Fej. JM would have been loving all this responsibility, but for Fej it seems to be wearing him down. Like Dickos says, he has the perfect platform to make sure he simply can’t be dropped for anyone and, instead, he’s almost begging to be taken out!

The other problem area that’s not getting any better is the goalkeeping. We are worse in defence because it’s not Seny in there, he would have saved us several points already imho.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on November 04, 2020, 07:30:07 am by jmt23 »
I’ve mentioned this a few times :lol:, but you never drop somebody who is in high form, and when that player has never seen the team prior to the game-what would you think/feel.
It was very noticeable when Fej scored his first goal, the whole team made a bit of a point in congratulating him- it was more than the usual!

That is football though, and you do have to get on with it, and prove your point.

I do not think his touch was great tonight, but to blame him for tonight is silly- we never created one single chance for him.

The game flattered us, and was easy to think we were far better than them, but I think the game plan was to let our defenders have the ball, and capitalise on any mistakes.

Please correct me,  but I do not remember one single chance for Fej.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on November 04, 2020, 07:37:07 am by Alan Southstand »
Is he exempt from making his own chances?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on November 04, 2020, 07:37:35 am by godlike1 »
As for Wimbledon that is the sort of team that would beat us the so called lesser clubs, we have no problem with the top sides

Sorry but I don't like the phrase "the so called lesser clubs" you'd probably have said that about Wycombe last season yet see which league they are in now.

We've earnt nothing yet and have never liked to be called "the likes of doncaster" let's not start that now and actually give Wimbledon the respect they deserve.

I think this will be one of our toughest games yet. They are doing well this season, plus will want to start well in their new ground even with no fans there. They're only 3 points behind us and all games have been close so far. I've no doubt they will have seen how suspect bursik was on Sat and will be targeting that quiet rightly.

I obviously want 3 points but if we get a draw i think that can still be classed as a good result. I'm thinking 2-2

Bit tough on vicar there and we do revel in " the likes of Donny " - we wear it like a badge of honour .
Godlike this is a " lesser team " a team below us and certainly not the size of say Ipswich .

Wish I'd  put a bet on that score line

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on November 04, 2020, 07:44:03 am by Rovers91 »
2 points dropped because we only scored 2 goals. To say that was shite is a ridiculous statement imo.
We tore them apart with our quality passing game. The football was of a very high standard and SOD would have been very proud of that possession football we played tonight.

Re read what I said, I said it was 2 points dropped because THEY were shite.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on November 04, 2020, 07:45:05 am by graingrover »
Whatever is in in Feiji’s  head he looked a lost soul out there
 last night .His body language was not that of a winner for sure .I think when JJ is back he may flourish if Darren plays two up front so let’s not condemn the lad .

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on November 04, 2020, 08:07:33 am by jmt23 »
Is he exempt from making his own chances?

No he isn't, but they parked the bus last night, and it was not a night for a striker to create his own chances - there simply wasn't the space, his movement does create openings for others though.

He has very quickly become a fall guy, for what I believe to be a poor passing performance - the final ball never made its intended destination, credit to Wimbledon for actually defended pretty well. No mention of the midfield that totally flatlined in the second half, and looked devoid of ideas, leaving gaping holes and the defence exposed.

Its all opinions, but I ,am well and truly in the strikers union!
 :rtid:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on November 04, 2020, 08:32:33 am by steve@dcfd »
But we haven’t beat Wimbledon the last 3 times we played them away before last night. In fact we lost all 3 . We need to be be more switched on to stop sloppy goals. We need to take chances. We deserved something from the game last night and it took a large deflection to get it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on November 04, 2020, 08:35:39 am by Chris Black come back »
And we only managed one goal across those three games. We scored twice last night.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on November 04, 2020, 08:41:32 am by keith79 »
Its alright passing it but you need to pass with purpose.  Passing the ball to Taylor on the wing then next thing you know our goalkeep is kicking it out for a throwing to them.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on November 04, 2020, 08:43:08 am by since-1969 »
Yep, very good performance but as you say, not putting the chances away has cost us the win.
Yup .. a good performance spoiled by a bad result and no sign of ruthlessness again .

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on November 04, 2020, 09:14:42 am by sha66y »
Fej is tired !
He’s covered a lot of hard yards over the last few games and not had as much support as he needs to be effective...
Personally I think he plays too high, and the 3 supporting him can’t get past him to find space, he needs to be receiving the ball to feet around the 25m mark and have at least 2-3 options to give and go, or just turn and give....he certainly has the ability to turn in tight areas and can hold up a good ball..

I think the pace of our attacking game forces the opposition to defend in greater numbers much deeper, the defence need to get the ball straight to whiteman who must look to find fej immediately...and in a better position even if it means dragging the centre back up the field....

Last night was great to watch yet frustrating as hell...

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on November 04, 2020, 10:32:48 am by EasyforDennis »
One problem I've noticed is a vulnerability when defending our right flank. All 4 goals conceded at Plymouth and Wimbledon were identical, with low crosses coming in from the left and flat-footing our defenders.

I've no technical knowledge on training and coaching methods, but surely something occurring as regularly as that can be worked upon on the training ground?

Careful some will disagree with you about that right flank  :chair: :chair:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on November 04, 2020, 10:38:05 am by Campsall rover »

Re read what I said, I said it was 2 points dropped because THEY were shite.
“They” could be us or them. That wasn’t at all clear.

Yes they were made to look very poor by us dominating the ball. One thing they were not “shite” at was taking their chances.
We were though at taking our chances, and that’s why we only drew a game we should have won by at least
3 clear goals imo.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012