Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:21:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Victor Anichebe. Do we need him  (Read 16471 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Victor Anichebe. Do we need him
« on September 08, 2019, 10:33:48 am by phil old leake »
Now I’m living away I haven’t been to a game this season

Supposedly we haven’t got an out and put striker but seem to be doing ok

Do we need VA or anyone else apart from adding depth to the squad

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Victor Anichebe. Do we need him
« Reply #1 on September 08, 2019, 10:35:05 am by IDM »
Whether it’s VA or not I would say yes.  It’s good to have options either for specific opposition or to change games from the bench..

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 08, 2019, 10:39:24 am by jackthelad »
I would say we could do with a big striker to give us a different option yes, we have a lot of pace and skill already but we don't really have anybody who could hold it up or flick the ball on etc.

I certainly wouldn't have a new striker walking into the starting 11 at the moment though.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 08, 2019, 10:42:47 am by dknward2 »
For me not at the minute if he was available for reasonable wages and understands that he will have to fight to get game time then yes.

I was thinking about the team that finished the game yesterday who would I drop or put on the bench to fit him in the only change I could think was not put Blair on but even then a bit of a total change in formation would be needed

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 08, 2019, 10:45:17 am by mushRTID »
Yes his type would have made a big difference first half I believe.

Appreciate we improved after the subs, but as injuries start to hit we won’t always be able to bring that quality off the bench...therefore the more options the better.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 08, 2019, 10:48:45 am by Rovers91 »
We need a physical option to offer us something different, the lads up there are doing well at the minute though.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 08, 2019, 10:50:40 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Difficult to say. We need more than a big lump although I'm sure most of us see our no 9 having to offer more than just a threat in the box.

We don't know enough about VA's condition or hunger to play. Whoever it is, needs to be intelligent and a team player who brings others into the game. Given the level he's played at he should be a class above and be able to outwit most defenders in this league. If he is, he'll create time with his positioning and skill giving him and others more scoring opportunities.

For now, Ennis is ticking all the boxes but we need back up to see us through the season.

Much depends on how DM assesses VA's ability both physically and mentally.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 08, 2019, 11:24:28 am by Retdon1 »
Yes, Stirling to me doesn’t look like an out and out striker. He struggled yesterday leading the line. Take Ennis out and we don’t have anyone in our squad who can play that role.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 08, 2019, 12:28:39 pm by Branton Rover »
For me an experienced striker is a must as it’s unrealistic to rely on two youngsters for the whole season- however we don’t know what January will bring

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 08, 2019, 01:18:14 pm by sha66y »
Maybe...!
We are currently playing a style ( second half) that relies on attacking players finding and making space to bring others in...
Would a big brute of a striker fit in ....not sure!
However.....once I saw the size of the Rovrum team I thought ...whoa, I wish we had a big un....
But after we took them apart for the last 30 mins ( and probably would have done for 90 if Sadlier n Ennis had been on from the start...)

I’m not so sure we can afford the luxury of a lone physical striker that would demand us to play to his strengths rather than the teams...

Tough call....

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 08, 2019, 04:22:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yes. Worth a go.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 08, 2019, 04:43:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
We need a No9, yes.

Anichebe? Depends if he gets himself right.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 08, 2019, 06:03:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Give him a short term contract of 3 months and let him prove himself worthy of a longer one. Or DM might go down the route of just offering him a week to week deal.
Or he might not bother offering anything.  Yes one of those 3 options is my guess.  :) :) :)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 08, 2019, 07:08:38 pm by GazLaz »
Give him a short term contract of 3 months and let him prove himself worthy of a longer one. Or DM might go down the route of just offering him a week to week deal.
Or he might not bother offering anything.  Yes one of those 3 options is my guess.  :) :) :)

If he has a good three months we don’t want him moving on though. Daz either thinks he’s good enough or he’s not. If he thinks he will do well for us he should sign him till the end of the season.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 08, 2019, 07:15:54 pm by rich1471 »
Give him a contract until the end of the season , with a 12 month add on if he plays a percentage of games no brainer to me

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 08, 2019, 07:18:07 pm by ravenrover »
We need a player to challenge for and be able to hold the ball up to bring into play those around him. Imagine Sterling Ennis Sadlier running off someone like that not to mention any goals that the No9 might chip in with. Much as I would love to see us continue in the vein of form we are in  with the forwards we have none of them are out and out No9's a robust No9 is a must at this standard I feel

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 08, 2019, 07:30:29 pm by esdailles left foot »
YES. Because things are going good now but when injuries and bad weather kick in can the kids be trusted

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 08, 2019, 10:24:13 pm by sha66y »
It’s a good job these mythical no9s don’t get injured in the world of fan atism.....

what would we do if the no9 got a long term injury.. buy another one,  or get a loaner in?

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 08, 2019, 11:29:16 pm by boro_rover »
I’m unsure as to whether we will end up taking anichebe on. Yes he is a free agent and yes he is reported to be severely lacking in match fitness. But you have to wonder, after all the weeks of him allegedly training with us why has he not been signed on yet.

I don’t think it would take pro coaches long to know whether someone still has it or not, or even whether they are going to be a decent acquisition for the side.

I’m certainly not an expert, but it doesn’t take me long to know if a new guy at training is going to be any good or not.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 09, 2019, 09:17:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Because DM says he is still assessing him. He says he needs games and they will play him in behind closed door friendlies.

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 09, 2019, 09:46:20 am by Shawndrfc »
Looking at how much we improved at the weekend when Ennis came on and he held up the ball and helped with the linking of play, getting in another player who can do that would be a nice addition. We are lacking with only 2 strikers anyway who are out and out strikers. Looking at the options available now, even if we gothim in on a deal until Jan and then review the situation from there.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 09, 2019, 03:41:41 pm by the vicar »
We need some numbers, if he goes and we get some injuries then we are right in the doo doo

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 11, 2019, 05:01:16 pm by bigal »
Been offered a contract by rovers

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 11, 2019, 05:14:12 pm by drfchound »
Good news, I hope he signs up.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 11, 2019, 05:15:06 pm by PDX_Rover »
Been offered a contract by rovers

Where'd you hear this Al?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 11, 2019, 05:25:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
This isn’t really news. It was in Free Press yesterday. Quote was he was “understood to be mulling over the offer of a contract from Rovers”.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 11, 2019, 05:29:06 pm by drfchound »
This isn’t really news. It was in Free Press yesterday. Quote was he was “understood to be mulling over the offer of a contract from Rovers”.

Well TBF mate, it is news to anyone who hasn’t seen the article, like me and bigal for example.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 11, 2019, 05:43:08 pm by selby »
  In answer to the heading, it looks like the manager thinks so.

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 11, 2019, 05:45:41 pm by bigal »
Google Chrome free press is were I saw it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012