Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:38:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis  (Read 5505 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Marquis
« on October 05, 2019, 11:05:12 am by phil old leake »
Today please folks let’s just appreciate what he did for the club and move on
Please no singing his name and making him feel at home
Let’s hope he has a complete mare and we stuff them good and proper

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis
« Reply #1 on October 05, 2019, 11:17:09 am by Donnywolf »
I will go with that.

Should be a great good reception for him as 50% of posters on here were real fans whereas 50% were glad we got an "undisclosed" fee for him so every body will be applauding

We know what he will do (if selected) and with the Ref F****e wanted shot it will be interesting to see how many of the fouls JM tries to get will actually be given in his favour

He used to get 10% when playing for us and hope it stays that way
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 12:11:18 pm by Donnywolf »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 05, 2019, 12:16:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, good reception but I hope we're talking about our players after the game in positive terms.

COYR

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 05, 2019, 12:23:18 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes lets get a routine win (2 0 will do) and talk about how we mullered them

Do a "posh" job on them and make JM a footnote only

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 05, 2019, 01:01:17 pm by Filo »
Well if the ref is consistent with all the other refs, our CB’s should be able to push and pull him all over the place and JM will get nothing

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 05, 2019, 01:07:35 pm by drfchound »
Ah, but that was when he played for us.
Don’t forget that he is an away player today so that changes things.

Shornton

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 05, 2019, 01:32:29 pm by Shornton »
Today please folks let’s just appreciate what he did for the club and move on
Please no singing his name and making him feel at home
Let’s hope he has a complete mare and we stuff them good and proper

Cant't we let people do what they want, free country and that!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 05, 2019, 08:55:41 pm by Donnywolf »
Lets face it we need not have worried - he was poor throughout the first half

Can see why they substituted him and why THEY think they have overpaid for him. However it was them that put their money down so though s**t for them

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 05, 2019, 09:03:09 pm by ZiggerZagger »
He'd of had a hat trick today if he still played for us. Would be interesting if he came back in January though. Still missing Copps 👍

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 05, 2019, 09:37:10 pm by roversdude »
It was strange paying that money for him when they had Harrison already

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 05, 2019, 09:41:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Different players, but Marquis will always be the same. He was his usual self, worked hard but given his team was frankly bang average at best he had nothing to feed off and resorted to.his usual dropping deep when things dont go well.

He's not the big man there like he was here and that may well affect him.  He would never have been taken off for us at half time he played pretty much every minute. Some halves were much worse than he played today. He's not a consistently brilliant striker and I do think at a club like Portsmouth it won't help him much as he won't get the slack he had here. Worth remembering how much flack he got from a fair whack of fans here too, but if he'd played for us today we win 3,4 easily imo.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 05, 2019, 09:42:49 pm by 5 on Tour »
Marquis is a player who needs to lead the line. On his own and in his own way. Here he had that and there he doesn’t. He would be top scorer in the league had he been here this season!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 05, 2019, 10:05:06 pm by Campsall rover »
Marquis is a player who needs to lead the line. On his own and in his own way. Here he had that and there he doesn’t. He would be top scorer in the league had he been here this season!
If he had stayed ( wouldn’t surprise me if he wished he had ) he would be scoring for fun in this team. We have created more chances in 10 games this season than in the first 25 last season.
26 attempts on goal today and over 20 per game is becoming the norm not the exception.
He didn’t look happy at all 1st half and didn’t even get the opportunity to play in the 2nd half.
Should have stayed put JM the grass isn’t always greener.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 05, 2019, 10:15:50 pm by PDX_Rover »
I was thinking after the game today that I wonder if John is regretting the move now. He’d be in his element in our team under DM.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 05, 2019, 10:20:00 pm by drfchound »
He will more than likely start on the bench next week but at least he will have got his big pay rise.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 05, 2019, 10:47:38 pm by keith79 »
Free transfer in 12 months

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 05, 2019, 10:49:43 pm by jamesrover17 »
Free transfer in 12 months

Wouldn’t be surprised at this at all, especially if they don’t go up

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 05, 2019, 10:54:45 pm by DRNaith »
Big pay rise and south coast location, versus scoring more goals. That's the current status.

If he'd stayed another season, the team he played for next season could have been very different.

To move, but stay in the same league, was a big risk, assuming that the contract he has now was not his main goal/priority

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 06, 2019, 08:28:01 am by jackthelad »
It's a short career, he made his decision and I suspect it wasn't just for football reasons.

He is probably a lot better off financially, closer to home etc. Also on paper at the start of the season he probably left to join a team that most people would have predicted to be right up amongst promotion.

He does have these spells where he goes without scoring, I am sure eventually it will click, at the moment I dare say he will score more than any of our individuals this season also.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 06, 2019, 08:37:32 am by Chris Black come back »
Don’t begrudge him moving but the “closer to family” sounds like one out of Akenfenwa book. Fastest train Portsmouth to London 1hr 39m. Fastest train Doncaster to London exactly same.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 06, 2019, 09:18:03 am by Bezza »
He won't get a free transfer Pompey have given him a free year deal, they may soon regret that.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 06, 2019, 09:19:46 am by Bezza »
That's a THREEE year deal

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 06, 2019, 09:31:39 am by mushRTID »
Not buying the family thing/location personally as only in January he was apparently “very keen” on a move to Sunderland!

I just think he wanted away and that was being used as an excuse.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 06, 2019, 09:39:12 am by Barmby Rover »
Interesting comments on iFollow by Matty Blair about how other players are now flourishing having JM not there. I think he was a bully towards others, not a team player and it is now unravelling for him because he can't dominate the rest of the team just to feed his desire.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 06, 2019, 10:53:47 am by Filo »
No arm waving and moaning at team mates yesterday either

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 06, 2019, 10:56:47 am by RoversAlias »
Don’t begrudge him moving but the “closer to family” sounds like one out of Akenfenwa book. Fastest train Portsmouth to London 1hr 39m. Fastest train Doncaster to London exactly same.

It's a lot faster by car though, and besides, I'm pretty sure his wife is from the South Coast.

I don't know if you were being serious CBCB, but it's rarely as simple as comparing the train times.

I think some fans like to find a conspiracy to justify something that they don't like, such as Marquis leaving. He gave us three excellent years, he has moved on and that's just how it is. I still fully expect Portsmouth to be in the shake-up for promotion come the end of the season although that isn't based on what I saw yesterday.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 06, 2019, 11:04:32 am by Chris Black come back »
The guy wanted out and I don’t begrudge him that, like some. £2m ultimately sounds like a good deal and by the end I thought he was as bad for us as good, given everything was built around him (and we were lucky he did not get injured).

Not sure why this is altogether something I should be bothered about but Doncaster to London is just over 3 hours in car, while Portsmouth to London is just over 2 hours. This is not a massive difference.

Anyway, he left and I don’t begrudge him but he neither went up a league, to an all together better side (notwithstanding their victory yesterday) or back to London or indeed close to London.

Good luck to him. I gave him a round of applause before the game.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 06, 2019, 11:13:52 am by Superspy »
Regarding the "family reasons" point, he was pretty clear when he left that a lot of it was about the fact his wife had just had their second child (or was about to) and his wife's family lives in Brighton, so I dunno where the comparison of journey times to London argument comes from.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 06, 2019, 03:29:19 pm by Chris the Rover »
JM sat in front of us in the West stand during the second half. He looked decidedly miserable. He didn't celebrate either of Pompey's goals - no doubt realised that's him on the bench for their next game. He blundered big time leaving DRFC and I suspect he knows it.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 06, 2019, 10:31:44 pm by dknward2 »
Probably watched all the chances we created and was thinking Jesus I could have had a hat trick why the f**k did I leave. Oh well I can wipe my tears on the 50 pound notes

TinyPortal © 2005-2012