Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:02:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jimmy Carr is morally right.  (Read 5966 times)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Jimmy Carr is morally right.
« on June 20, 2012, 06:54:11 pm by mjdgreg »
Well done Jim for keeping the tax man's greedy hands off your money. I'm sure you'll make a far better job of spending it than the government ever would.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18521468

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Jimmy Carr is morally right.
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2012, 07:44:05 pm by RedJ »

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 21, 2012, 12:35:32 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Well done Jim for keeping the tax man's greedy hands off your money. I'm sure you'll make a far better job of spending it than the government ever would.

Well done Jimmy Carrs accountants for exploiting a Legal Loophole.

If Cameron has issues with is maybe, as Prime Minster, he should close said loophole......that is all.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 21, 2012, 10:06:42 pm by Filo »
What Mr Carr did may have been morally wrong, but he did nothing illegal, so shame on him for bowing to pressure from Cameron. And while we`re taking the moral high ground Mr Cameron, maybe you should comment on your cosy relationship with Rebecca Brookes whilst she was hacking Milly Dowlers mobile phone, I`m sure that was morally wrong from a high ranking Government Official!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 21, 2012, 11:19:49 pm by MrFrost »

Well done Jimmy Carrs accountants for exploiting a Legal Loophole.

If Cameron has issues with is maybe, as Prime Minster, he should close said loophole......that is all.

I have a feeling this will be a burning topic now.
How i'd love to pay 1% tax like Carr though. Not likely.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 21, 2012, 11:22:09 pm by Barmby Rover »
To say nothing about the Tories main backer, Lord Ashcroft, who takes about £300 a day for sitting in the Lords , then is a non dom still and pays not one penny into the exchequer. Those who are without sin should cast the first stone Cameron, let's hope we get to find out this creeps skeletons which are being hidden in a whole catacomb of cupboards!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 21, 2012, 11:53:00 pm by wilts rover »

As Jimmy Carr himself now admits he was wrong it would appear he has a greater moral judgement than yourself http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/21/jimmy-carr-regret-tax-scheme?newsfeed=true

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 22, 2012, 12:04:53 am by mjdgreg »
As Jimmy Carr himself now admits he was wrong it would appear he has a greater moral judgement than yourself

He wasn't wrong. He just knows that if he doesn't pretend he made a mistake, thanks to Cameron his career would have been over. Pragmatism before honesty.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 22, 2012, 12:20:32 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting philosophical take Mick.

When Jimmy Carr does something that is legal but (arguably) morally reprehensible, you support him.

When doctors do something that is legal but (arguably) morally reprehensible, you condemn them.

Be consistent lad. Either:
a) EVERYTHING that is legal is acceptable, and all that matters is the legality of an action, with no moral argument being valid.
Or
b) There is a fuzzy spectrum from outright illegality, through "legal, but clearly immoral by any civillized standards", to "legal and possibly immoral depending on the onlooker's political and philosophical standpoint" to "legal and saintly",  and we all have the moral right to consider and argue each case on its detailed merits.

Make your mind up lad. Where do you stand on that question? A or B? A simple answer will do.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:26:37 am by BillyStubbsTears »

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 22, 2012, 12:41:58 am by mjdgreg »
The answer is C dad.

He is morally right to stop the government taking tax off him if at all possible via whatever means he can, because they'll just waste it. Especially if it was a Labour government. That is what is morally reprehensible. Far better that Jimmy spends the money in a productive manner himself.

As usual another question answered. I just wish people would answer all my questions instead of ignoring them. Could it be that they just can't answer them for fear of making themselves look foolish?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 22, 2012, 07:22:04 am by Barmby Rover »
It would be interesting to see the reaction of the right wing visionaries if several tens of thousands had been misclaimed from the benefits system. Ripping the exchequer by several hundreds of thousands each year as lord Ashcroft does is ok as far as the right wing press and the PM I presume by their silence, if you or I put a false claim in and get an extra few hundred pounds from benefit fraud we are pariahs.
Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating either, cheats are always cheats and are wrong, but the reaction to both situations tells us a lot about us as a society. Cowards have a go at those that can't fight back, but let the big boys do whatever they want. politicians have all been cowards for years.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 22, 2012, 10:18:32 am by jucyberry »
Personally I think it is disgusting, we could all do that and then where would the country be? How much money do these people want and why do they think they have more right to keep their money than the average tax payer?

As Will says, if it was someone on benefits wriggling through a loop hole there would be a frenzy of bile and condemnation.. These people aren't hero's they are cheats..Every person who looks at their wage slip and winces about the amount of tax taken should be disgusted with the way tax dodgers like Carr and his ilk worm their way out of doing the right thing...

After all, isn't it all proportionate?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 22, 2012, 03:09:09 pm by Jenny »
Personally I think it is disgusting, we could all do that and then where would the country be? How much money do these people want and why do they think they have more right to keep their money than the average tax payer?

As Will says, if it was someone on benefits wriggling through a loop hole there would be a frenzy of bile and condemnation.. These people aren't hero's they are cheats..Every person who looks at their wage slip and winces about the amount of tax taken should be disgusted with the way tax dodgers like Carr and his ilk worm their way out of doing the right thing...

He has paid the tax he is legally required to under the legislation that the government drafted. I don't see what he has done wrong. When in UK constitutional history have we answered to a higher body than the law?

Morally we must be missing the 11th commandment, 'thou shalt not enter into tax avoidance schemes'

Jucy, you ask how much money they want and why do they have more right to keep their money - I ask, what right does the government have to take more tax than they are legally obliged to pay off them?

Ask yourself how much money Jimmy Carr will contribute to the UK economy over the course of a couple of years - probably far more than you would ever in a lifetime, and probably takes far less from it too. What is so wrong about that?

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 22, 2012, 03:57:01 pm by mjdgreg »
Spot on Jenny.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 22, 2012, 05:47:33 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

He has paid the tax he is legally required to under the legislation that the government drafted. I don't see what he has done wrong. When in UK constitutional history have we answered to a higher body than the law?

Morally we must be missing the 11th commandment, 'thou shalt not enter into tax avoidance schemes'

Jucy, you ask how much money they want and why do they have more right to keep their money - I ask, what right does the government have to take more tax than they are legally obliged to pay off them?

Ask yourself how much money Jimmy Carr will contribute to the UK economy over the course of a couple of years - probably far more than you would ever in a lifetime, and probably takes far less from it too. What is so wrong about that?

Spot on Jenny, though as accountants we all would say that.  Not to mention it was found in court many years ago that we have the right to avoid tax as long as it's within the law, I forget the case etc but I remember that principle.

There's plenty of loopholes and they're there to be exploited and to me that's all part of the game.  On the other hand if government doesn't like it, fill the gap - simple really.

I've no issue with what Jimmy Carr did, fair play to the bloke IMO.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 22, 2012, 08:03:16 pm by wilts rover »
Shall I put the question another way. Is it morally wrong to use the services that the tax money of other members of society have paid for if you deliberatly avoid paying the acceptable level of tax for your income? If I were to go and ron Jimmy Carr's house (or Mick's or Jenny's) why should the police investigate? Or treat your injuries in hospital? Morally you should pay for these services yourself.
Its like using the forum without being a VSC member. Yes its legal and allowable but is it morally acceptable - somebody has to pay for it?

neilfinne

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2012, 08:09:08 pm by neilfinne »
get 'em all on P.A.Y.E.

Level playing field then.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 22, 2012, 08:32:40 pm by danrover82 »
I dont know how that c**k Cameron has the cheek to question Jimmy Carr, when his old man did the same thing.

Fair play Jimmy you did right by avoiding extra tax. Why pay extra for the t**ts that cant be arsedgetting off their back side and get a job of the f**kers fiddling the disabilities benefits. Although I'd have shown Cameron for what he is before backing out of the scheme.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 22, 2012, 11:37:22 pm by wilts rover »
I dont know how that c**k Cameron has the cheek to question Jimmy Carr, when his old man did the same thing.

Fair play Jimmy you did right by avoiding extra tax. Why pay extra for the t**ts that cant be arsedgetting off their back side and get a job of the f**kers fiddling the disabilities benefits. Although I'd have shown Cameron for what he is before backing out of the scheme..

Tell that to the boys in Afghanistan who haven't got enough kit. Or t**ts like me who have to pay more than we should to make up for the tax that Jimmy Carr isn't paying.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 23, 2012, 12:50:22 am by mjdgreg »
Tell that to the boys in Afghanistan who haven't got enough kit. Or t**ts like me who have to pay more than we should to make up for the tax that Jimmy Carr isn't paying.

The boys in Afghanistan have been badly let down by the politicians. In the first place they shouldn't be there. In the second place do you really think that the politicians would have used Jimmy Carr's extra tax to give them good kit? I don't think so. They use extra tax to buy votes.

You pay extra tax not because the likes of me and Jimmy don't pay enough. It's because you are at the bottom of the social pile and are an easy target. Cop yourself on like me and Jimmy have and move up the ladder. Then you will find you will have to pay hardly any tax. My chosen profession as a professional gambler means that I keep all my money and don't pay any tax. 

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 23, 2012, 12:53:37 am by mjdgreg »
Its like using the forum without being a VSC member. Yes its legal and allowable but is it morally acceptable - somebody has to pay for it?

The people that pay for the forum are the boring ones. Its the people like me who donate our time to the forum for free that keep it interesting and worthwhile for the boring thuckers.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 23, 2012, 10:12:15 am by wilts rover »

The people that pay for the forum are the boring ones. Its the people like me who donate our time to the forum for free that keep it interesting and worthwhile for the boring thuckers.

Any non-member that uses the forum to post drivel and twaddle that a member is forced to read should be automatically required to pay that member for the amount of time wasted. At a flat rate of £1 a minute I reckon you owe me something along the lines of £27 653 to date. I take cheques, paypal or a burger at the next home game.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 23, 2012, 04:45:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Fair play Jimmy you did right by avoiding extra tax. Why pay extra for the t**ts that cant be arsedgetting off their back side and get a job of the f**kers fiddling the disabilities benefits. Although I'd have shown Cameron for what he is before backing out of the scheme..

So you've never changed your renumeration to benefit yourself paying less tax through a number of ways?  Most people do that without fuss.

A previous employer of ours on the other side tried one of these tricks, we subsequently found out that actually they couldn't, it's cost them hundreds of thousands after they lost the case.  Sadly I got stung by the taxman on that one so I'm quite happy to take back from him on another aswell, they always seem happy to backdate what you owe them but they never take that into account when you're paid earnings out of period (as we were and then taxed, had we got it on time we wouldn't have been taxed).  I'm still arguing and losing on that one.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 23, 2012, 08:38:54 pm by mjdgreg »
Any non-member that uses the forum to post drivel and twaddle that a member is forced to read should be automatically required to pay that member for the amount of time wasted. At a flat rate of £1 a minute I reckon you owe me something along the lines of £27 653 to date. I take cheques, paypal or a burger at the next home game.

Unfortunately I don't have a cheque book or paypal account. I can't get you a burger as I refuse to go to any more games while that clown Saunders is in charge. If you give me your bank  account number, sort code, full name and cvc number on the back of your debit card I'll get you sorted.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 23, 2012, 08:40:37 pm by mjdgreg »
Anyone who doesn't minimise how much tax they pay by any legal means is a fool.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 24, 2012, 03:28:18 pm by Filo »
it`s interesting that the morality judge Cameron declined to comment on conservative party contributor Gary Barlow OBE and his similar tax arrangements! I wonder if Mr Barlow`s contributions were the proceeds of his tax avoidance and thus morally wrong and could be a form of Money laundering by the Conservatives. I wonder if the PM would consent to his and his millionaire chums tax arrangements to be scrutinised?

People in glass houses Dave  :whistle:

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 27, 2012, 10:08:07 am by ditch_drfc »
This makes me laugh so much... If this had been the labour party condemning him then you'd all jump all over it and say how disgusting Jimmy Carr is and how right the Labour Party are! Grow up!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012