Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:56:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The poor don't know how to cook  (Read 2322 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
The poor don't know how to cook
« on December 08, 2014, 10:10:24 pm by Filo »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: The poor don't know how to cook
« Reply #1 on December 08, 2014, 10:56:53 pm by BobG »
Don't be silly Filo!

She has the cook to do the cooking and the butler to carry it in to the table. I think she's probably ok with the carving.

BobG

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 08, 2014, 11:24:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Whine & Dine

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 08, 2014, 11:36:59 pm by jucyberry »
Foolish woman, it is extremely hard to cook wonderful food when you are down to the scraps in the back of the cupboard. Something the people that are going to food banks know only too well.

Yes it is fairly easy to knock up a decent meal, but that involves more than just a couple of ingredients and it's almost impossible for people who are struggling to buy even the basics of a store cupboard.

As for he porridge comment.. well, speaking as someone who has a life long aversion to porridge because it was all we had to eat after my dad died well, she can stick it up her ermine clad arse.

This is the woman whose hubby fiddled his expenses by £50k to rent his sister in law's house as his constituency  home.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 09, 2014, 12:30:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
She reckons she had a "large bowl of porridge that cost 4p" this morning.

Right.

I can't find the price of porridge oats on Lidl's website, but the cheapest ones that ASDA, Tesco and Aldi sell cost 7.5p per 100g. So, if she had 50g (~2 ounces) of oats in cold water, she could just be telling the truth.

Or she may be another "I've no f**king idea how the real world works but I'm so certain that I'm better than the scum at the bottom end, I'm going to pontificate about it and blame the poor for being shit whilst demonstrating that I can't even f**king well add up or include the cost of milk and cooking in a simple calculation" Tory Kitson.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 09, 2014, 01:25:32 am by IC1967 »
The headline is very misleading. She didn't say the poor go hungry because they don't know how to cook. Another sensationalist headline taken at face value.

She said the poor don't know how to cook. OK so she should have said society in general don't know how to cook.  What she said is valid. As a society we are all too ready to bung a ready meal in the microwave or have a takeaway. This is a very expensive way to consume food. It is true that there would be less people going hungry if cooking skills were better.

It is also true that poor people are far more likely to smoke. Another way of cutting down on hunger would be to stop smoking. I'm amazed that whenever there is a documentary on poor people most of them smoke.

That said there is a real issue with poverty. Thank goodness the coalition is sorting it out by creating the conditions for us to have the fastest growing economy in the developed world. The number of jobs created since the coalition came to power is remarkable. I just wish Labour hadn't let so many immigrants in as by now we'd have full employment and poverty would be a thing of the past for most people.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 09, 2014, 08:43:31 am by Glyn_Wigley »
But it's OK for the coalition to let Next ship in busloads of them.  :thumbsup:

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 09, 2014, 08:47:34 am by wesisback »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/feeding-britain-lbc-radio-caller-shocks-listeners-by-describing-how-he-cant-afford-to-eat-9911138.html?cmpid=facebook-post

One of the most emotion stirring things I've heard this year. Take away the media sensationalism of benefits and how they all live on them like it's a constant jolly up and stare at the reality.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 09, 2014, 10:14:12 am by BobG »
Why do you persist in defending the indefensible 1967? Yes. As usual, there is smidgeon of at least partial truth within your pontificating, but as always, you take a minor point and blow it out of all proportion. As I've mentioned before, you are an absolute classic example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

BobG

PS Oh. If you don't know what Dunning-Kruger is, look it up. It's extremely illuminating.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 09, 2014, 10:28:08 am by IC1967 »
Why do you persist in defending the indefensible 1967? Yes. As usual, there is smidgeon of at least partial truth within your pontificating, but as always, you take a minor point and blow it out of all proportion. As I've mentioned before, you are an absolute classic example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

BobG

PS Oh. If you don't know what Dunning-Kruger is, look it up. It's extremely illuminating.

Excuse me. The headline that you are all so willing to believe has blown what she said out of all proportion. I am the voice of reason and am merely trying to restore some balance to the debate. The main reason you all want to have a go at this woman is because she is rich and Tory. Well thats not a good enough reason in my book to misrepresent what she said, especially given all the good work she has done in the field of poverty.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 09, 2014, 12:06:57 pm by Boomstick »
90% of these people who say they cant afford to eat need to cancel their sky, broadband, Netflix, quit drinking and smoking, etc before they start moaning about the price of food.

Saw last night on the news, a couple were winging about food, when their shopping bags were full of oreos, and other such shite. Stop buying those and they can afford proper food.

As for the poor not knowing how to cook, that's a poor choice of words. But the usual left wing idiots in this forum have jumped on her, just to score political points. Despite the FACT that she has done good regarding commissioning the report.

I swear, bst and his bitches (filo bobg etc) would be happier in north Korea.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 09, 2014, 12:22:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I swear, bst and his bitches (filo bobg etc) would be happier in north Korea.

If we wanted to live in somewhere like North Korea, it would be much simpler to vote you and Mick into power in this country. At least we wouldn't have to move house.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 09, 2014, 01:01:20 pm by River Don »
A lot of people would be a lot healthier and a bit wealthier if they knew how to cook a little. Whether or not more emphasis on cooking skills at school would make much of a difference, I don't know, I'd like to think it would. For many I suspect it's just they just can't be bothered with cooking. Simple as that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 09, 2014, 04:04:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Boomstick

Chill out sweetheart. All I did was to point out that the woman either can't add up, or has small portions of oats in cold water for breakfast.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012