Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:38:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The dog that chased the bus.  (Read 2331 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
The dog that chased the bus.
« on November 09, 2016, 10:44:56 am by Colin C No.3 »
So, the American people have 'spoken'.

'God bless America?' God help us all!....& yet, what does this result say about Western politics?

Perhaps we've become so disillusioned by what has been churned out by those we put in power, those politicians who have made a career in Westminster & Washington not in looking after the needs of the people, but in looking after their own needs. Abusing the power they've been given to such an extent that the electors took the first opportunity they could to tell them 'Enough'. Hence Brexit, hence Trump.

And ironically unlike Obama who after the Brexit vote was quick to tell the UK that there would be "No special trade agreements for the UK" & that we would have to take our place at the "Back of the queue", Trump, while stating "America first", is open to trade agreements with the UK no longer bound by the EU. Hurrah for Brexit & what timing!

Next will be the Dutch, then Spain, Italy, even the French & German Governments looking over their shoulders as the people of those countries look for & expect more of those in power.

So the 'dog' called Trump that has been chasing the bus has finally caught up with it. The question is, now what does it do with it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
Re: The dog that chased the bus.
« Reply #1 on November 09, 2016, 11:05:00 am by bahrain rover »
I was shocked at the result also this morning. But now after settling down and thinking about it this may be a good thing. As said not a career politician but someone wanting to make there country great. A few months ago my 2nd home the Philippines did the same and and took a punt on the opinionated foul mouthed maverick that is Rodrigo Duterte. I am aware of the story's you have been hearing back in the UK, regarding the killing of drug lords and pushers etc. But this as been welcomed by us. Duterte said he would clean the nation in his campaign and it wont be pretty but he is doing exactly as he vowed. Its about time someone with balls got in to power, and doing with out conviction what they believe to be the best for there country. Maybe just maybe Trump will be the same. Now the UK as voted out i wish we had the same politicians with balls ( no pun).   

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 09, 2016, 02:19:32 pm by MachoMadness »
Trump in many ways is not the issue. He's the mouthpiece and the figurehead for Mike Pence who is a dangerous man indeed.

What Trump represents, like Brexit, is the legitimisation of all the racist, bigoted things he's said. Whether Clinton won is irrelevant, there are still millions of people who feel his actions are acceptable.

The Democratic Party should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen. I have a hard time believing Sanders would have lost to Trump, but the Dem hierarchy sabotaged themselves for a rotten right wing candidate who could look after their own interests. If the dems can get their shit together and be a real alternative in 2020 maybe this will be good long term, but until then it's going to be a bumpy ride.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 10, 2016, 02:19:15 pm by ravenrover »
His running for President consisted mainly of sound bites with no substance to back them up "we'll cut taxes" "we'll improve our infrastructure, build new roads, bridges" "we're going to build a wall" "we're gonna make America great again" no mention of how he will do these things.
The worrying thing is that he is now probably the most powerful President for many years with both chambers controlled by Republicans, and that for me is the most worrying aspect to all this. Obama was hamstrung during his Presidency due to his lack of support in both Chambers, will the same apply to Trump I fear not, who is going to control him and more importantly who is going to control his mouth.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 10, 2016, 04:24:02 pm by The Red Baron »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 10, 2016, 09:57:03 pm by BobG »
I've been led to understand that there are a number of papers around the world carrying banner headlines with words to the effect "UK and US neck and neck in race to find the worlds stupidest country'.

BobG

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 10, 2016, 10:05:09 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Interesting though those remainers in the UK demonstrate against the result of a democratic vote and those in the USA demonstrate against the result of a democratic vote.......  you lost get on with it ....... and as for Sturgeon....................  oh the irony.........try respecting the views of the British people!!!!

Ms Sturgeon said: “While this is not the outcome I hoped for, it is the verdict of the American people and we must respect it. I congratulate president-elect Trump on winning the election.”

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon/nicola-sturgeon-on-us-election-not-the-outcome-i-hoped-for-1-4282722

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 10, 2016, 10:11:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The trouble with democracy is people don't always vote the way you want them to.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 10, 2016, 11:04:29 pm by MachoMadness »
Democracy is apparently just voting now. Who knew?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 11, 2016, 03:42:15 pm by bobjimwilly »
Daggers - people are getting on with it; but that doesn't mean you can't shout that you're not happy with the decision. That's democracy.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 11, 2016, 05:43:51 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Daggers - people are getting on with it; but that doesn't mean you can't shout that you're not happy with the decision. That's democracy.

I suppose what I was really meaning was "respect the decision of the majority"

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2016, 05:57:36 pm by RedJ »
Maybe someone should tell Mrs Sturgeon to do the same.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2016, 06:24:32 pm by IDM »
Respecting the outcome is one thing, respecting the politicians and the lies and the spin is another..

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 11, 2016, 09:50:39 pm by idler »
In or out how many of our 600 plus MPs give any confidence and earn respect?
We must be near an all time low.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 11, 2016, 10:30:57 pm by Pancho Regan »
We can only hope and pray for two things:

1. Trump didn't really mean some of the things he said during his campaign, and....

2. If he did, there will be a reasonable and intelligent person close at hand to make sure he doesn't bring those things to pass

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 13, 2016, 04:46:30 pm by BobG »
Have a read of this article. Will Trump be a pussy cat after all? Is there a precedent we can look to in the not too distant past?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/13/donald-trump-election-terrifying-president-global-economy-security?subid=20769950&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

As for respecting the judgement of a vote, that all depends upon what you believe is the valid electorate.

BobG

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 13, 2016, 10:34:40 pm by MachoMadness »
The wall has been downgraded already to a fence. It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

It's a beautiful fence, it'll be so, so good, it'll be an unbelievably beautiful fence. The best fence. Some people have been saying it's maybe the best fence they've ever seen. And it's going to make America great again folks, believe me.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 14, 2016, 10:53:48 pm by BobG »
I know. Paint it white. It'll be a picket fence.

Bob

TinyPortal © 2005-2012