Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:46:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lockdown rules  (Read 2315 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Lockdown rules
« on May 02, 2020, 02:58:35 pm by Filo »
I have to confess I’ve made what would be deemed an unnecessary journey, I’ve been and got the caravan from storage and have given it a good wash outside, it no longer has a green tint to it, tomorrow I shall be giving the inside a good spring clean and then one day next week it will be going back to storage, although I could argue this is necessary as the caravan overhangs half of the footpath 😀

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Lockdown rules
« Reply #1 on May 02, 2020, 03:03:55 pm by drfchound »
You could lock up the house and stay in it for a few days mate.
It might feel as though you have been away.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 02, 2020, 03:06:42 pm by Filo »
You could lock up the house and stay in it for a few days mate.
It might feel as though you have been away.

I sat in it earlier with a sandwich and a coffee for my dinner, sadly I can’t see it getting used this year unless it is towards Autumn, I’m currently trying to get a refund from Parkdean Resorts from Easter but they are coming out with all sorts of excuses

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 02, 2020, 03:07:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I went to where my caravan's stored to move it forward a couple of feet in the hope that the tyres don't get a flat spot. It's been stood for 6 months.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 02, 2020, 03:10:46 pm by Filo »
I went to where my caravan's stored to move it forward a couple of feet in the hope that the tyres don't get a flat spot. It's been stood for 6 months.

Mine had been stood since last September, tyres seemed fine on mine and at least fetching it home has given the wheels a good turn and the legs a working, everything all seems fine, the condensation traps where nearly full mind

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 02, 2020, 03:13:46 pm by Filo »
The last time mine was on site August bank holiday last year

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 02, 2020, 03:17:21 pm by drfchound »
I am lucky enough to be able to keep mine locked away in a massive outbuilding at home.
I move it a just a bit every couple of months (to preserve the tyres) but brought it out for half a day last week to check a few things out.
It really did get me longing to go away for a few days.
I too think we will be lucky to get any use out of it this year but still have a Cotswolds booking in for July.
I haven’t cancelled yet........just in case.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 02, 2020, 03:22:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm guessing we'll be back on the road around August/September time. I'm not sure what percentage of that is wishful thinking mind, but we shall see!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 02, 2020, 03:23:51 pm by Filo »
I am lucky enough to be able to keep mine locked away in a massive outbuilding at home.
I move it a just a bit every couple of months (to preserve the tyres) but brought it out for half a day last week to check a few things out.
I too think we will be lucky to get any use out of it this year but still have a Cotswolds booking in for July.

Don’t cancel, wait for the site to cancel or you’ll lose at least your deposit

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 02, 2020, 03:26:41 pm by drfchound »

Don’t cancel, wait for the site to cancel or you’ll lose at least your deposit

I know mate.
However it is booked on a CL that I have used before and he doesn’t take deposits.

I should have been going to Somerset in a couple of weeks but when the CC closed all their sites (including CLs) the site owners contacted me and volunteered the refund.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 02, 2020, 03:28:22 pm by drfchound »
I'm guessing we'll be back on the road around August/September time. I'm not sure what percentage of that is wishful thinking mind, but we shall see!

Can you imagine how difficult it is going to be to get booked in anywhere.
As soon as a it is ok to book sites everyone will be trying to book a place.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 02, 2020, 03:29:18 pm by Filo »

Heres hoping, as soon as we can I’m off, because I can’t see us getting our usual October Spanish holiday this year

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 02, 2020, 03:30:16 pm by drfchound »

Heres hoping, as soon as we can I’m off, because I can’t see us getting our usual October Spanish holiday this year

Ta-da. As I was saying.........

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 02, 2020, 03:38:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Got a tough decision to make this month.

We are supposed to be driving to Italy in August to see the family and have a holiday. Got a £500 deposit on an apartment there and the other £500 is due at the end of the month.

If we cancel, we lose the deposit. If we pay and the lockdown isn't released, we lose the full £1000.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 02, 2020, 03:44:06 pm by Filo »

We are supposed to be driving to Italy in August to see the family and have a holiday. Got a £500 deposit on an apartment there and the other £500 is due at the end of the month.

If we cancel, we lose the deposit. If we pay and the lockdown isn't released, we lose the full £1000.

Have you paid on credit card?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 02, 2020, 03:47:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Yes, I've thought of that. It might be a problem!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 02, 2020, 03:58:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Maybe give preference to the retired among us first?

:chair:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 02, 2020, 04:05:59 pm by drfchound »

Maybe give preference to the retired among us first?

:chair:

Haha, great idea.
Especially as we are going to have some of our advantages taken away from us (apparently).

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 02, 2020, 04:21:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Yes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 02, 2020, 04:57:56 pm by Filo »

Yes.

In that case I’d pay the balance off and then claim in your card for goods not received

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 02, 2020, 05:05:46 pm by IDM »
I have to confess I’ve made what would be deemed an unnecessary journey, I’ve been and got the caravan from storage and have given it a good wash outside, it no longer has a green tint to it, tomorrow I shall be giving the inside a good spring clean and then one day next week it will be going back to storage, although I could argue this is necessary as the caravan overhangs half of the footpath 😀

Not sure you’re breaking the rules as you could argued that doing such jobs is maintaining your mental health rather than sitting at home going stir crazy.  It’s why diy shops are open - it isn’t essential to paint our dining room or tidy the garden etc but it is physical and mental exercise and that’s what those stores are there for now..

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 02, 2020, 05:08:26 pm by Filo »

Not sure you’re breaking the rules as you could argued that doing such jobs is maintaining your mental health rather than sitting at home going stir crazy.  It’s why diy shops are open - it isn’t essential to paint our dining room or tidy the garden etc but it is physical and mental exercise and that’s what those stores are there for now..

Never thought of it like that, it’s not come far though, the storage yard is approx 3 miles from where I live

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 02, 2020, 05:22:02 pm by Not Now Kato »

We just had that same problem with our holiday booked for early July, though in our case the final payment was just shy of £5,000!  Decided it wasn't worth the risk of tipping up that amount and then either having to wait for a refund if they cancel, or worse - having to cancel and lose the lot if they decide the cruise can go ahead as there's no way we would want to go abroad in the near future as my wife and I are both in the high risk category!

In the end we decided to cancel and lose the deposit.  We're £400 down but feel it was the safest option given the circumstances.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 02, 2020, 05:41:49 pm by drfchound »
NNK, that is what I would have done too.
Good decision.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 02, 2020, 06:59:38 pm by NickDRFC »
I’d have been going on a stag do you Munich this weekend, where we’d booked a hotel for 20 odd people at £100 a head. The hotel has offered either a voucher, redeemable in 2021, or a refund, but with an admin fee.

The admin fee is NINETY PER CENT. We’d get just over £200 quid back on a £2 grand booking. Crazy.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 02, 2020, 10:38:13 pm by Not Now Kato »
NNK, that is what I would have done too.
Good decision.

Thanks hound. Yes, we feel we've made the right decision under the circumstances.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012