Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:46:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Danum hotel  (Read 2326 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Danum hotel
« on November 18, 2021, 05:11:50 pm by normal rules »
I see the Home Office have taken over the Danum Hotel to house Afghan refugees.
I hope they are pleased with the standard of accommodation.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Danum hotel
« Reply #1 on November 18, 2021, 05:47:31 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Seen lots of outrage about this, struggling to see why it's a bad thing?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 18, 2021, 06:09:16 pm by Janso »

Have a guess.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 18, 2021, 06:48:52 pm by ravenrover »
Spent my wedding night in the honeymoon suite at The Danum can't temember where my wife spent it :-)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 18, 2021, 06:51:37 pm by wilts rover »
I see the Home Office have taken over the Danum Hotel to house Afghan refugees.
I hope they are pleased with the standard of accommodation.

The people who helped us in Afghanistan and whose lives we put in danger when we left - handy for you to go round to thank them.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 18, 2021, 07:33:11 pm by GazLaz »
If anyone knows of any charities in the town that are helping them out could you let me know, I’d like to donate if there is anything they may need.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 18, 2021, 08:04:24 pm by River Don »
I read a story about a lady who has fled Afghanistan and is now a refugee in Pakistan.

During the western occupation she divorced her drug addict husband and joined the Police force to get an income to bring up her kids.

She lost her job . The Taliban beat her up and threatened her life. She was terrified they would return the kids to her husband.

Now she waits hoping the British government will give them sanctuary. If not it's likely and the Pakistanis will try to return them to Afghanistan.

If they end up staying in the Danum, I'd be very happy.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 18, 2021, 08:51:11 pm by GazLaz »
I read a story about a lady who has fled Afghanistan and is now a refugee in Pakistan.

During the western occupation she divorced her drug addict husband and joined the Police force to get an income to bring up her kids.

She lost her job . The Taliban beat her up and threatened her life. She was terrified they would return the kids to her husband.

Now she waits hoping the British government will give them sanctuary. If not it's likely and the Pakistanis will try to return them to Afghanistan.

What’s happening over there is horrific. You have E to understand in addition to the brutality these people now have no jobs, no money and that leads on to no food. There’s been a drought in addition to all this. It’s one of the biggest humanitarian crises of modern times.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 19, 2021, 07:21:42 am by Bentley Bullet »
Hope the government do something similar for the 6000 homeless UK veterans on the streets, some of them who served in Afghanistan.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 19, 2021, 07:46:45 am by SydneyRover »
Hope the government do something similar for the 6000 homeless UK veterans on the streets, some of them who served in Afghanistan.

I suppose it's fair to ask why the government allowed 6000 UK vets to be 'on the streets' in the first place, as well as the thousands of others?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 19, 2021, 08:12:57 am by Axholme Lion »

You might be outraged if your wedding do had been cancelled. Another nail in the coffin of the town centre. Who is going to want to go into town if it's full of refugees hanging around street corners? It's bad enough with all the druggies and other assorted deadbeats roaming around effing and blinding at each other.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 19, 2021, 08:24:47 am by SydneyRover »

You might be outraged if your wedding do had been cancelled. Another nail in the coffin of the town centre. Who is going to want to go into town if it's full of refugees hanging around street corners? It's bad enough with all the druggies and other assorted deadbeats roaming around effing and blinding at each other.

BB has belled the cat, we know who is responsible.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 19, 2021, 08:30:04 am by River Don »
Maybe the US and UK governments should have considered all this before they went in without a clear plan or an exit stratergy?

it's not like the problems in Afghanistan could not have been predicted, they've been at this game for centuaries.

As it is, at the very least we have a duty to help the Afghans who we recruited to aid us in our adventure.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 19, 2021, 08:49:22 am by Axholme Lion »
I take everyone is happy at the latest nail in the coffin. Why anyone would want to go into Donny is beyond me. It's sad to say there is no turning back. A right shithole.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 19, 2021, 09:23:10 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Perhaps if we do everything we can to help them quickly there will be no issues. Group English and integration classes, training for jobs and community engagement.  We'd have less problems in the world if we helped those who truly need it.

Perhaps axholme you could return down south if this area is such a shithole?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 19, 2021, 09:29:12 am by SydneyRover »
Perhaps if we do everything we can to help them quickly there will be no issues. Group English and integration classes, training for jobs and community engagement.  We'd have less problems in the world if we helped those who truly need it.

Well said pud, these families will make good citizens and then help the rebuild following brexit and covid by working and buying stuff such as cars etc.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 19, 2021, 09:31:24 am by Axholme Lion »

I'm from the Isle thanks. For what it's worth i find it very, very sad that towns like Doncaster and many, many others have all ended up in this state. People should be able to go into town to do a bit of shopping, have a look around and get a nice bite to eat and drink but it's no longer possible in many places. It's not just Doncaster either. Empty shops and streets full of undesirables, chewing gum all of the floor, the list goes on. The closest town centre round and about worth a visit is Beverley, it can't be right that you have to travel so far.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 19, 2021, 11:02:01 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I'm from the Isle thanks. For what it's worth i find it very, very sad that towns like Doncaster and many, many others have all ended up in this state. People should be able to go into town to do a bit of shopping, have a look around and get a nice bite to eat and drink but it's no longer possible in many places. It's not just Doncaster either. Empty shops and streets full of undesirables, chewing gum all of the floor, the list goes on. The closest town centre round and about worth a visit is Beverley, it can't be right that you have to travel so far.

Shouldn't they be put to work in the fields picking the fruit and veg that EU workers used to and the Brits have shown they won't do even if offered the job? :silly:

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 19, 2021, 12:34:53 pm by Axholme Lion »

Shouldn't they be put to work in the fields picking the fruit and veg that EU workers used to and the Brits have shown they won't do even if offered the job? :silly:

I'm sure plenty of people will work if the wages are good enough, but no the farmers want everything done for nothing rather than pay a fair wage. They could always sell one of their Range Rovers to fund better pay.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 19, 2021, 03:39:39 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
As much as I feel for them, why do they have to have such a prestigious building to themselves, when our homeless have to take whichever flat is offered them?.
We are doing it again as a country putting other countries folk before our own.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 19, 2021, 03:51:04 pm by sha66y »

What’s happening over there is horrific. You have E to understand in addition to the brutality these people now have no jobs, no money and that leads on to no food. There’s been a drought in addition to all this. It’s one of the biggest humanitarian crises of modern times.

You are aware that they are Muslims and see you as an infidel ?
I think some people need to go spend a few years in the Middle East to get a little perspective!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 19, 2021, 03:59:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I think some people need to go spend a few years in the Middle East to get a little perspective!

I think you're mistaking them for the people they're running away from.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 19, 2021, 04:16:08 pm by sha66y »

I think you're mistaking them for the people they're running away from.

No….I think you are!

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 19, 2021, 04:40:32 pm by belton rover »

Axholme. Our nearest town centre is Scunny, so we’ve nothing to worry about, with it being such an idyllic place, free of druggies and other assorted deadbeats.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 19, 2021, 05:41:08 pm by wilts rover »

If only the Tories had been in power for the past 11 years....

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 21, 2021, 09:29:56 am by normal rules »

Current uk law won’t allow them to work while undergoing asylum process.
Plus, if they did, some woke group would declare they were being used as slaves.
Then some tabloids would publicise that the govts has a back door slavery programme running where we import slaves for cheap Labour.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 21, 2021, 11:54:27 am by wilts rover »

Current uk law won’t allow them to work while undergoing asylum process.
Plus, if they did, some woke group would declare they were being used as slaves.
Then some tabloids would publicise that the govts has a back door slavery programme running where we import slaves for cheap Labour.

Thats interesting NR.

Can you give me an example of where 'some woke group' has previously declared people legitamately claiming asylum were being used as slaves?

And if it is only your opinion rather than an actually fact, why would 'some woke group' have a problem with people being paid the going rate for doing a job?

Personaly I think people who thought they were 'taking back control' to clamp down on immigrants & immigration would be the only people to complain about the government increasing immigration

And would you support the government opening a back-door programme to import slaves for cheap labour? As you seem to have a problem with 'some tabloids' exposing this practice if it were to happen.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 21, 2021, 03:16:09 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Not sure why they couldn't have sourced out of town hotels rather than the one bang in the centre of town. Any road up. I stopped visiting Donny town centre years ago as it is a total shit hole.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 21, 2021, 08:50:19 pm by SydneyRover »
Not sure why they couldn't have sourced out of town hotels rather than the one bang in the centre of town. Any road up. I stopped visiting Donny town centre years ago as it is a total shit hole.

Usually all the services are available in the middle of town, which could be quite handy for people with very little.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 21, 2021, 08:53:04 pm by Sprotyrover »

Well said pud, these families will make good citizens and then help the rebuild following brexit and covid by working and buying stuff such as cars etc.
Or they may take a leaf out of your book and start Whinging!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012