Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:38:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SmArt charging of electric cars - new rule coming in  (Read 2351 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: SmArt charging of electric cars - new rule coming in
« Reply #30 on June 28, 2022, 06:17:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
What about people who live a block of flats and have to use street parking because there’s not allocated parking space how are they going to charge their vehicles

Do these people have petrol stations outside their block of flats or do their heads just fall off?

Do you have to leave your car at a petrol station all night to fill it up?

You don't have to leave your car overnight to fill up.

Then it isn't the same as recharging one then is it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 28, 2022, 06:57:45 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
How about the fact Electric cars are much heavier than petrol/diesel cars due to the battery and internal combustion system which therefore burns tyres faster and means tyres have to be changed much often.

How is this better for the environment??

The last I heard, rubber was a renewable resource as you can grow it.
So you can get more and more, but what about the waste?

I'll get electric when they are a viable solution tro travel, and currently they're not. And when I can get a good one second hand. Till then it's my low emissions economical Skoda diesel all the way.... including pumping out my soot doing more miles around Bristol to avoid the ULEZ zone.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 01, 2022, 07:24:28 am by normal rules »
In other news, I see there were ev charging points at Glasto.
Powered by diesel generators. Lol.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 01, 2022, 10:25:48 am by albie »
How about the fact Electric cars are much heavier than petrol/diesel cars due to the battery and internal combustion system which therefore burns tyres faster and means tyres have to be changed much often.

I am not sure why you think an EV would have an ICE as well, unless you are talking about a hybrid.
Hybrids will not be around for long.

Good point about the weight though.
Many manufacturers are just swapping the drive train, but looking to produce SUV type models.
This is missing a trick, because you could look at the whole system to best optimise for economy.

This problem will reduce as a result of better energy density in batteries. Improving at about 6% per annum at the moment.

What that does is give the option of more range per full charge, or lighter weight (and lower cost) by reducing the number of batteries needed for a set range.

If the sector settles on 300 miles per charge as the benchmark, for example, then whoever delivers that at the lowest cost will be quids in.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 01, 2022, 10:48:24 am by River Don »

The last I heard, rubber was a renewable resource as you can grow it.

Modern car tyres are only about 15% natural rubber. About 25% synthetic rubber.

Synthetic rubber is a byproduct of oil. Can't get away from the stuff.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:55:30 am by River Don »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 01, 2022, 03:27:21 pm by Axholme Lion »

I am not sure why you think an EV would have an ICE as well, unless you are talking about a hybrid.
Hybrids will not be around for long.

Good point about the weight though.
Many manufacturers are just swapping the drive train, but looking to produce SUV type models.
This is missing a trick, because you could look at the whole system to best optimise for economy.

This problem will reduce as a result of better energy density in batteries. Improving at about 6% per annum at the moment.

What that does is give the option of more range per full charge, or lighter weight (and lower cost) by reducing the number of batteries needed for a set range.

If the sector settles on 300 miles per charge as the benchmark, for example, then whoever delivers that at the lowest cost will be quids in.

But most ICE cars will do around 4-500 miles on a tank. Until you can do London and back on a charge it won't work.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 01, 2022, 04:42:06 pm by albie »
Not following your point, me old lion!

Why do you need to go to London and back on a single charge?
You stop to fill up with petrol when you need to, so why can't you stop at a rapid charger for a top up when needed?

Comparatively few journeys are long distance drives anyway. The vast majority are local trips well within the operating range.

The 300 mile figure I gave was just an example. the industry might go for 400 instead. The point is that there will be a trade off between range and weight/affordability.

Don't forget if you reduce weight, the vehicle will travel farther per unit of leccy.
Increased battery efficiency, combined with lightweighting of components, will deliver on all fronts.

Who needs an SUV anyway?
Spray on mud for the school run, it is just a passing fad.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 01, 2022, 06:27:31 pm by ravenrover »
So for anything else, like towing a trailer/horsebox/caravan?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012