Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:47:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Father and son both sent off as Wycombe get F G over a barrel !!  (Read 1987 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Manager Mark Cooper and his son both got sent off  (in the same match) for Forest Green apparently this has never happened before

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Father and son both sent off as Wycombe get F G over a barrel !!
« Reply #1 on January 01, 2018, 05:34:14 pm by ravenrover »
over the same incident

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 02, 2018, 10:15:18 am by The Red Baron »
I'm planning to go to Forest Green before long. I fancy they are going to be the first team promoted from the Conference / National League to be relegated the following season. I saw Rovers a few times at their old ground but haven't been to the current one.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 03, 2018, 11:54:58 am by bobjimwilly »
I fancy they are going to be the first team promoted from the Conference / National League to be relegated the following season.

I can't believe that's never happened before! Has happened many times in all other divisions; do you think it's purely down to the fact only 2 teams get promoted/relegated between FL and NL?

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 03, 2018, 12:07:41 pm by chrisd_123 »
Potentially but I also think there's not that big a difference in the level either. Especially the bottom end of the table. The likes of Macc Town and Aldershot are better than the likes of Chesterfield.

I know that sounds obvious but clubs who fall out of the league usually do so through mismanagement or years of flirting with relegation - Hartlepool and Orient are prime examples.

Whereas clubs who come up have been pushing for a few years and finally get up.

It's very rare a club goes down to the NL and straight back up (Maybe Barnet are the only ones I can think of?) so once they do get back up, they're stable enough to kick on.

When clubs go from L1 to Championship for example, they have to spend more or demolish their promotion squad for a chance of staying up.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 03, 2018, 12:16:49 pm by IDM »
I fancy they are going to be the first team promoted from the Conference / National League to be relegated the following season.

I can't believe that's never happened before! Has happened many times in all other divisions; do you think it's purely down to the fact only 2 teams get promoted/relegated between FL and NL?

For many years it was only 1 up 1 down as well..

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 03, 2018, 12:23:38 pm by IDM »

It's very rare a club goes down to the NL and straight back up (Maybe Barnet are the only ones I can think of?) so once they do get back up, they're stable enough to kick on.

Lincoln did in the first season of relegation to the conference, came straight back up.. as did Darlington a couple of years later..

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 03, 2018, 12:30:39 pm by The Red Baron »

Lincoln did in the first season of relegation to the conference, came straight back up.. as did Darlington a couple of years later..

In those days most if not all Conference teams were part-time, so if you stayed full-time there was a more than even chance you'd bounce back.

Nowadays about two thirds of the National League teams are full-time. Add to that the fact that most teams that go out of the League do so because of deep seated problems and you can see why few bounce straight back.

Where a team has gone down because they just had a rotten season on the park (eg Carlisle, 2004) they have usually come back pretty quickly.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 03, 2018, 12:33:13 pm by RoversAlias »
Didn't Shrewsbury come straight back up in 2004? I might be wrong but I don't think them or Carlisle were down there for more than one or two years.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 03, 2018, 02:06:11 pm by The Red Baron »
Didn't Shrewsbury come straight back up in 2004? I might be wrong but I don't think them or Carlisle were down there for more than one or two years.

Five clubs have been promoted back to the Football League after one season only in the Conference / National League. They are:

Lincoln City (1987-88)
Darlington (1989-90)
Shrewsbury Town (2003-04)
Carlisle United (2004-05)
Bristol Rovers (2014-15)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012