Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:11:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let,s talk about the Sheffield United Game  (Read 4868 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let,s talk about the Sheffield United Game
« on July 23, 2018, 09:23:47 am by selby »
I know, I know, it is not a league game, and I have started early, but I am bored with the guesses and talking about the odds, making out the bookies know more than us.
   A not insignificant game, and will probably be the only friendly when we get to see something like the team we will start the season with.
  We can expect a decent following from our dear friends from over the hill, and they may have a couple of high value new signings on show to wet the appetite, That's enough about them.
   What team do you see us fielding?
   Do you expect us to have any late signings this week on show?
   Will we play a more expansive style?
   Will this game attract a decent following of our fans?
   Are you going yourself?
  This may be the game when we do get an idea of if their is any improvement on the playing side, and who know we may even have a late signing to run the rule over.
   Please have your say and discuss.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Let,s talk about the Sheffield United Game
« Reply #1 on July 23, 2018, 09:25:48 am by Donnywolf »
Welcome back !

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 23, 2018, 09:34:55 am by The Red Baron »
Difficult to predict the line up until this week's friendlies have been played, but I tend to agree that the starting line up on Friday won't be too different to that we see at Southend.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 23, 2018, 09:35:10 am by mpc123 »
Ill not be taking too much from the game as in result as they are a decent championship side but if we can put in a decent solid performance and show some glimses of fast attacking play ill be happy against them.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 23, 2018, 09:35:43 am by selby »
  Thanks Wolfie, I hope to see you soon, same place, same times, hopefully better results.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 23, 2018, 09:44:34 am by Donnywolf »
  Thanks Wolfie, I hope to see you soon, same place, same times, hopefully better results.

Yes I will be there in regular Season. Must admit I can get too enthused about pre season games last 2 I went to were both v Wolves probably says summat !

Just got a Billy Sharp photo though in real posh frame so would like to get it signed and use it as a third Prize in Super 6 so I may have to come v Sheff U unless someone has a better suggestion for getting it signed ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 23, 2018, 09:55:51 am by RedJ »
Could always send it to SUFC and ask them to sort for you.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 23, 2018, 11:10:25 am by selby »
Wolfie it is an age indicator, you latched on when they were the best side in the country in the 50's. much like most of the Weeds fans are bald, have a beer gut, and are on the cusp of claiming their pension.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 23, 2018, 11:36:54 am by since-1969 »
Let just hope it doesn’t end up like the Newcastle game when we had 3 players Carried off and out for months. I’d settle for
0-0 to save that happening again.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 23, 2018, 11:58:24 am by Bezza »
would expect the blades to bring a fair few hardly an high profile game for Rovers fans, doubt many home fans will be there.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 23, 2018, 12:11:46 pm by selby »
  Good call 69, that game finished Alcock as a good player for us, he never recovered the same form again while here.
   My take is the goalkeeper ( with both having more league experience) and the wing/full back position with Amos and Lund being cover for Mason and Andrew without having to play out of position is a big improvement, especially with the manager actually showing a bit of faith in them.
  It releases Rowe to play where he can be a danger to the opposition, and the central defenders are well up to scratch whoever plays and the two prospective defensive midfielders are both good players.
  In attack is the problem, the build up not helping( not quick enough). the lad from Leeds I have been told is a good player, and we could do with another striker.
   I expect Blair to play more games in his better position wide right, and further forward, but we could do with another striker,  and I hope the lad from Scotland inspires us to be more inventive in midfield.
   I am hoping we have some indication of progress during and after this game.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 23, 2018, 12:49:40 pm by since-1969 »
The Blades will have concerns about injuries themselves so I doubt my concerns will be a problem. There are still too many holes in our team for me that need addressing , mainly goal scoring and our preseason hasn’t altered this . It would be comforting to think that we had strength in depth but that just not true. With many players it’s form and players like Blair Have to play almost at full tilt before they can achieve and he doesn’t have a natural substitute or even Copps who is just too influential and also has no equal in the team . I just hope it all comes with a new zest for the season over all , as we are carrying too many issues regarding consistent performances to be happy with .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 23, 2018, 03:12:35 pm by scawsby steve »
Wolfie it is an age indicator, you latched on when they were the best side in the country in the 50's. much like most of the Weeds fans are bald, have a beer gut, and are on the cusp of claiming their pension.

Brian, most Weeds fans in their 20s and 30s are bald and have a beer gut.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 23, 2018, 03:39:08 pm by selby »
  Steve, those are the ones that were dropped on their heads when they were bairns, and grow up brain dead like their fathers.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 23, 2018, 11:28:59 pm by Cantley Rover »
Inner Milan team flew into DSA today for their friendly tomorrow at Brammal Lane. Flight goes back to Milan tomorrow at 23:00 from DSA.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 26, 2018, 10:17:49 am by selby »
  Is this the game when we see more like the makeup of the team that will play at Southend?
  I think it will be, at least the team that starts the game that is. It is the only home game of our preseason, and should attract a decent crowd, as Sheffield United may bring quite a few.
  Will we see King Billy back again with his swagger? he set off last season at a gallop and tailed off somewhat, but will bring back pleasant memories of when he was our hero if he plays, likewise the other players who used to play with us if they are included.
  It is the first real test of our team this season to gauge where we might be, I am looking forward to it with interest.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 26, 2018, 10:20:52 am by Alan Southstand »
Apparently, Sunderland are very keen on Billy. I'd take him on loan in a heartbeat!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 26, 2018, 11:30:42 am by idler »
They are also interested in Bradford City's Charlie Wyke so it is probably a case of either or as I can't see them wanting/affording both.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 26, 2018, 12:03:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's a healthy respect between the two clubs so I can't see there being a repeat of the Sunderland fiasco. I'm sure common sense will prevail.

Will be interesting to look at our new players and look for signs of improvement in others. According to GMc, we're still some way from being the finished article in terms of the way he wants to play, but if she show signs of it, then we can go into the Southend game with a definite strategy. It's down to the players to show they understand it and execute it to stake a claim for a shirt.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 27, 2018, 02:41:54 pm by selby »
  Will this game really give us an indication of the makeup of the team for the first match at Southend?
  Will we see a faster more direct  and different approach to the game compared with last year?
   Will we see players playing in their best positions?
   Which goalkeeper would be your number 1?
    Are you even interested in this game?
   Will Sheffield United be good enough to push for promotion?
  These questions and more should be partly answered in tonight's game, it should be very interesting.  If you are going enjoy the game.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 27, 2018, 02:53:48 pm by dknward2 »
  Will this game really give us an indication of the makeup of the team for the first match at Southend?
Yes I think it will give us the basis for the first team and bench not necessarily the 11 that start will start
  Will we see a faster more direct  and different approach to the game compared with last year?
Yes we will be more positive and more direct
   Will we see players playing in their best positions?
I think players will only play in their best position unless covering for injures
   Which goalkeeper would be your number 1? Marko
    Are you even interested in this game? No really I will follow along but not fussed if we win or lose.
   Will Sheffield United be good enough to push for promotion?
Think they will be pushing for top 6
  These questions and more should be partly answered in tonight's game, it should be very interesting.  If you are going enjoy the game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 27, 2018, 02:57:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Really looking forward to it tonight. Just picked up my Silver Membership and pack and starting to get into the mood after a rest from the World Cup. Always intriguing to see new players for the first time.

I remember Marquis in one of his first appearences in a friendly, putting in a shift then appearing to give up after he got narky with the rest of the team not putting the effort in. I thought this doesn't look good but he turned out to be one that leads by example.

As far as keepers are concerned my no 1 is Marosi as Lawlor just seems more frantic and less in control which in my view leads to uncertainty in the back 4.

Sheff U have ownership issues behind the scenes and not sure if that's affected them in the transfer market. A big blow they've lost Brooks so early in his career. I expect a season of 'consolidation' from them after their great season last term. .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 27, 2018, 03:54:44 pm by scawsby steve »
It'll be interesting to see the line-up for tonight; what was deemed as the first string lost at Grimsby, failed to score, and under - performed in the first half; what was deemed as the second string gave a strong Birmingham team a good game, narrowly losing to a goal near the end, and then scored 8 goals, albeit against a 9th tier team, on Wednesday.

Could it be a mixture of those 2 sides to begin the game tonight?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 27, 2018, 04:20:33 pm by selby »
  Steve, I don't think many would put Whiteman in front of McCullough, or Beestin in front of Coppinger, or Lawlor in front of Marosi, Wright Anderson 50/50, as I said it will be interesting, Mason and Andrew could well come under pressure from Lund and Amos.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 27, 2018, 04:33:41 pm by scawsby steve »
  Steve, I don't think many would put Whiteman in front of McCullough, or Beestin in front of Coppinger, or Lawlor in front of Marosi, Wright Anderson 50/50, as I said it will be interesting, Mason and Andrew could well come under pressure from Lund and Amos.

Some interesting points there Brian; I was talking to Dave last night, and he said that Mason gave the ball away a lot at Grimsby, and that Lund is looking strong and hard at right back. It's all food for thought for GM.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 27, 2018, 04:52:59 pm by roversdude »
I’ll hold my hand up for Whiteman before LM

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 27, 2018, 05:03:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Same, I think a midfield three might really suit Whiteman.

Looking forward to the game tonight, I hope he plays the expected side for Southend or as close to that as possible.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 27, 2018, 05:17:21 pm by selby »
  Andrew worries me a bit, he has not looked the player he did at the beginning of last season to me at the moment, and Whiteman and Mason were poor at finding a man with a pass at Grimsby.
  My preference if only one plays would be McCullough over Whiteman, but I can see both playing if they get their act together in away matches.
  I am looking forward to seeing Crawford again, he looked a footballer who knows what he wants to do when he gets the ball, we have not had that since Wellens and Stock.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 27, 2018, 05:20:14 pm by selby »
   R.A. are you sure you are not just getting at me because of the Initials LM.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 27, 2018, 05:27:09 pm by RoversAlias »
   R.A. are you sure you are not just getting at me because of the Initials LM.

Where did I get at you? I just said I'd like to see Whiteman in the team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012