Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:50:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 900853 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #11100 on May 16, 2021, 01:13:32 pm by ravenrover »
What he Hancockup also said when asked why India was not put on the red list at the same time as Pakistan and Bangla Desh was that the info regarding the variant wasn't sufficient to warrant it at the time. When showed stats showing that the rate per 100k in India was way in excess of both Pakistan and Bangla Desh at the time tat both wete put on the red list he stated that the stats were wrong because India did more testing than the others!
He also said that the Indian variant would have reached us anyway and will become the dominant variant
No challenge about the potential visit by The Clown to India to announce a trade deal being "the"reason why it wasn't put on the red list
He was also asked about the poor follow up procedures and that over 100 people had tried to enter with false test results or forged psperwork and had been caught and he said that that was due to the excellent Border Controls he didn't respond to the question as to how many more had gotten through on fake info
Trust seemed to be the main check, did we trust the info provided by incomers did we trust that the address given actually existed did we trust that people would self isolate did we trust that isolation would be followed up and checked on............. no answer to that other than we have a wonderfull Border Control and tracing system

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11101 on May 16, 2021, 01:13:41 pm by SydneyRover »
I think we've done it to death tbh, time to look forward.

Unfortunate term pud with 27,000 unnecessary deaths but while there are those trying to rewrite history I will counter it.

I will never deliberately put a comment knowingly untrue. I have opinions, which are my own and I make mistakes and errors, I usually apologise occasionally/rarely I don't.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:32:50 pm by SydneyRover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11102 on May 16, 2021, 01:21:49 pm by SydneyRover »
What he Hancockup also said when asked why India was not put on the red list at the same time as Pakistan and Bangla Desh was that the info regarding the variant wasn't sufficient to warrant it at the time. When showed stats showing that the rate per 100k in India was way in excess of both Pakistan and Bangla Desh at the time tat both wete put on the red list he stated that the stats were wrong because India did more testing than the others!
He also said that the Indian variant would have reached us anyway and will become the dominant variant
No challenge about the potential visit by The Clown to India to announce a trade deal being "the"reason why it wasn't put on the red list
He was also asked about the poor follow up procedures and that over 100 people had tried to enter with false test results or forged psperwork and had been caught and he said that that was due to the excellent Border Controls he didn't respond to the question as to how many more had gotten through on fake info
Trust seemed to be the main check, did we trust the info provided by incomers did we trust that the address given actually existed did we trust that people would self isolate did we trust that isolation would be followed up and checked on............. no answer to that other than we have a wonderfull Border Control and tracing system

i see the Times and a few other papers are reporting that up to 20,000 people could have travelled from India to the UK but it's paywalled so cannot access the details for dates etc and why.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11103 on May 16, 2021, 01:45:16 pm by Nudga »
I wonder why Ivermectin isn't more widely used?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11104 on May 16, 2021, 01:51:05 pm by SydneyRover »
I wonder why Ivermectin isn't more widely used?

It is Nudga, for the following types of parasite infestations. In humans, this includes head lice, scabies, river blindness, strongyloidiasis, trichuriasis, ascariasis, and lymphatic filariasis.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11105 on May 16, 2021, 02:09:10 pm by Nudga »
Not really in context though is it, but you knew that.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11106 on May 16, 2021, 03:09:07 pm by ravenrover »
My wife read that over 900 people per day wete flying into UK from India prior to lockdown on flights. She can't find the article so am unable to provide a link

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11107 on May 16, 2021, 05:47:33 pm by River Don »
So just looking at the Telegraph site, Hancock now seems to be saying the Indian variant is now widespread. He's also warning it could spread like wildfire amongst the unvaccinated and his latest advice is hug outdoors if you must. That sounds a bit desperate to me.

None of this instills confidence does it.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11108 on May 16, 2021, 05:56:16 pm by mushRTID »
So just looking at the Telegraph site, Hancock now seems to be saying the Indian variant is now widespread. He's also warning it could spread like wildfire amongst the unvaccinated and his latest advice is hug outdoors if you must. That sounds a bit desperate to me.

The vaccines apparently work against it.
To me this feels like a scare tactic to make sure the rest of us get vaccinated.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11109 on May 16, 2021, 06:10:23 pm by Nudga »

It is desperate, vaccine uptake not good enough recently so try to put the frighteners on the ones not having it?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #11110 on May 16, 2021, 06:12:12 pm by EasyforDennis »
Surely everyone has accepted the fact by now that Andrew Marr is NEVER going to give a Tory minister a hard time or follow up when they blatantly lie.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11111 on May 16, 2021, 06:44:29 pm by bahrain rover »

The vaccines apparently work against it.
To me this feels like a scare tactic to make sure the rest of us get vaccinated.
[/quote]

Where I work we have all received at least the 1st dose of Astrazeneca. We have so far in the last year and half had no cases of COVID at work. That is until the beginning of this week when a foreign contractor crew came in, and now we have around 20+ cases! Went through us like wildfire. And this is on top of the crew doing 14 days in a approved quarenteen country and then testing before entering here. And again we all have minimum 1st dose vaccination.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11112 on May 16, 2021, 06:54:52 pm by River Don »
I'll throw this question out,

Does anyone know, if we have this varient circulating in the population, with many millions of people only partially protected with one dose of vaccine, does this increase the chances of another varient emerging with resistance to the vaccine?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11113 on May 16, 2021, 07:33:28 pm by drfchound »
Hancock on Marr filled me with confidence. Not.

What came from that was, they don't know how transmissible the Indian Varient is yet.

The vacinne works against the varient but not as effectively. They have five people in hospital in Bolton with it, who have had a jab.
They have one frail person in hospital who was fully immunised.

Their big strategy is rolling out vacinne but he wasn't asked about the delay in becoming immune.

They are chucking lots of testing at it in Bolton. (We know it's already gone far beyond Bolton) and he admits it's on it's way to becoming dominant in the country.

And he wants us all to use common sense and take care... Which essentially seems to mean, don't use the new freedoms yet anyway. So why not just say, we can't open up yet until we know more?

And it seems Labour are backing this and were much more keen to talk about not locking the border down sooner.

Fingers crossed, it's not as bad as feared then.

Genuine question RD.
Would you have been as easy on the government about this if Labour hadn’t have backed the decision not to close down.

I don't think this thing is particularly political because there is no trade off between health needs and the economy. We need to be healthy for the economy to work.

With this virus action always has to be swift. So if anything new crops up act first ask quaestions later.

That's the same with the border or new varient sor anything. For the record when this thing first emerged in China, I was saying close down travel from China straight away.

Thanks for your response RD.
Nice to get a proper reply instead of some of the vague and immature stuff from down under.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11114 on May 16, 2021, 08:24:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Heard the most bizarre comment from Hancock today. He's "confident" that the vaccines will work on the Indian variant.

Bizarre because virologists don't yet know whether they will. I wonder what Hancock is basing that assessment on?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11115 on May 16, 2021, 08:24:29 pm by wilts rover »

i see the Times and a few other papers are reporting that up to 20,000 people could have travelled from India to the UK but it's paywalled so cannot access the details for dates etc and why.

Yes he was asked about this in his Ridge interview - waffled away with some vague pointless answer as he know the acolytes will still support him and criticise the people asking him questions.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11116 on May 16, 2021, 08:32:29 pm by wilts rover »
Heard the most bizarre comment from Hancock today. He's "confident" that the vaccines will work on the Indian variant.

Bizarre because virologists don't yet know whether they will. I wonder what Hancock is basing that assessment on?

Again this came up on Ridge with Hancock and the two SAGE scientists on after him. This is from lab tests.

It was also mentione that whilst the vaccines can protect against this variant - they are not 100% effective. There are around 20 people in hospital in Bolton who have had 1 dose and 1 person who has had both.

The vaccines are c90% effective - so they wont protect 10% of people who have had them. Of course you don't know if you are going to be among the 10% until you get it.

If the data is worse now than it was last weekend (which it is) why are a government that is following the data not dates going ahead with a relaxation of measures tomorrow? Why not give it another week or 10 days to see if the surge testing is working?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11117 on May 16, 2021, 08:33:13 pm by drfchound »

I’m not trying to be confrontational here BST but maybe he knows something that you don’t.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11118 on May 16, 2021, 08:38:26 pm by wilts rover »

I’m not trying to be confrontational here BST but maybe he knows something that you don’t.

Presumably why he asked the question hound - and I gave the answer above

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11119 on May 16, 2021, 08:53:48 pm by drfchound »

Wilts, I hadn’t seen your post until just now.
Looking at the timings of our posts I was typing mine as you posted.
As I recall from this morning, Hancock didn’t put the number of people in hospital with COVID in Bolton as high as 20, but I may be wrong there, I was once before. (Still can’t find that blinking emoji).
As for your last couple of questions...... maybe you could read some of the previous posts on this thread as there are differences of opinions into the whys and wherefores.

To repeat what I asked BST though, maybe Hancock knows something that us football forum people don’t.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11121 on May 16, 2021, 09:01:47 pm by bpoolrover »
That sounds promising

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11122 on May 16, 2021, 09:07:17 pm by River Don »
As I understand it, they currently believe the Indian variant is sufficiently different to partially overcome the vacinne. So it will not cause fully vaccinated people to become severally ill but they might get sick.

There must be some question over what it means for those who have received only the first dose. There are 5 people in hospital in Bolton who have had a single dose, there is the potential to become very poorly still. Suddenly the government is saying they want to reduce the gap between vaccinations from 12 weeks to 8. That means I'm due my second jab sooner, how practical it is to get that, I don't know. I'm waiting for a call from the health centre, should we all be on the blower trying to book a  vacinne sooner now?

The other change is that those who have been vaccinated are more likely to transmit the virus with the new varient.

Transmission is key because there are still millions unvaccinated. The signs aren't good, early indications suggest it's very transmissible. Which is why I'm shocked they will open up tomorrow without finding out more first.

There is still work to do on this. Prof Ravi Gupta at Cambridge who is working on this suggested there was a mutation within it that probably is evading the vacinne in someway. But nobody knows properly what it's doing yet.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11123 on May 16, 2021, 09:09:09 pm by drfchound »
It does indeed bpool.
As I was saying.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11124 on May 16, 2021, 09:09:17 pm by bpoolrover »
That link I posted was Gupta he seemed confident that the vaccine would work

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11125 on May 16, 2021, 09:10:41 pm by bpoolrover »
Together the data suggests the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will still work well against B.1.617, just as they do for the variant from South Africa, known as B.1.351. In both cases, the shots will likely offer high protection from death and severe illness, but they may lose some ability to stop mild or asymptomatic infections.That is what Gupta said

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11126 on May 16, 2021, 09:15:00 pm by drfchound »
As I understand it, they currently believe the Indian variant is sufficiently different to partially overcome the vacinne. So it will not cause fully vaccinated people to become severally ill but they might get sick.

There must be some question over what it means for those who have received only the first dose. There are 5 people in hospital in Bolton who have had a single dose, there is the potential to become very poorly still. Suddenly the government is saying they want to reduce the gap between vaccinations from 12 weeks to 8. That means I'm due my second jab sooner, how practical it is to get that, I don't know. I'm waiting for a call from the health centre, should we all be on the blower trying to book a  vacinne sooner now?

The other change is that those who have been vaccinated are more likely to transmit the virus with the new varient.

Transmission is key because there are still millions unvaccinated. The signs aren't good, early indications suggest it's very transmissible. Which is why I'm shocked they will open up tomorrow without finding out more first.

There is still work to do on this. Prof Ravi Gupta at Cambridge who is working on this suggested there was a mutation within it that probably is evading the vacinne in someway. But nobody knows properly what it's doing yet.

I had my two jabs ten weeks apart RD after originally being told they would be twelve weeks apart and was pleased to get them done.
I’m interested that you say that NO ONE knows properly what it (I assume the mutation) is doing because then perhaps it is understandable why there are so many divided opinions.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11127 on May 16, 2021, 09:18:55 pm by River Don »
The article I read Gupta pointed to a mutation in the Indian varient and pointed out little was known about it. He then said he'd put money on it avoiding the vacinne.

So it didn't look good.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11128 on May 16, 2021, 09:34:28 pm by drfchound »
.....and that kind of backs up what I said.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11129 on May 16, 2021, 09:47:29 pm by wilts rover »
This is the Sophie Ridge podcast for those interested

https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday

and Sir Mark Walport on the Indian variant:

https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/1393849134340354052

Wilts, I hadn’t seen your post until just now.
Looking at the timings of our posts I was typing mine as you posted.
As I recall from this morning, Hancock didn’t put the number of people in hospital with COVID in Bolton as high as 20, but I may be wrong there, I was once before. (Still can’t find that blinking emoji).
As for your last couple of questions...... maybe you could read some of the previous posts on this thread as there are differences of opinions into the whys and wherefores.

To repeat what I asked BST though, maybe Hancock knows something that us football forum people don’t.

Sorry hound, I think yours came up just after I posted mine.

I have been offline for a few days. If you don't mind I won't bother going back through previous posts as I don't think I am going to be very enlightened am I!

Hancock has been party to three late lockdowns after ignoring the scientific advice, the policy to not introduce travel restrictions and quarantine for travellers from affected countries until the virus was running wild in this country, and has been party to not introducing travel restrictions on India for 3 weeks after being informed the variant was running wild there. What he knows is that however many cockups (or policy decisions to prioritise his party donors wealth over public health) people don't care and will still defend him and attack the people defending him - he pretty much said so in the interview this morning.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012