Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:19:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 899605 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #11130 on May 16, 2021, 09:57:15 pm by drfchound »
This is the Sophie Ridge podcast for those interested

https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday

and Sir Mark Walport on the Indian variant:

https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/1393849134340354052
Heard the most bizarre comment from Hancock today. He's "confident" that the vaccines will work on the Indian variant.

Bizarre because virologists don't yet know whether they will. I wonder what Hancock is basing that assessment on?

I’m not trying to be confrontational here BST but maybe he knows something that you don’t.

Presumably why he asked the question hound - and I gave the answer above

Wilts, I hadn’t seen your post until just now.
Looking at the timings of our posts I was typing mine as you posted.
As I recall from this morning, Hancock didn’t put the number of people in hospital with COVID in Bolton as high as 20, but I may be wrong there, I was once before. (Still can’t find that blinking emoji).
As for your last couple of questions...... maybe you could read some of the previous posts on this thread as there are differences of opinions into the whys and wherefores.

To repeat what I asked BST though, maybe Hancock knows something that us football forum people don’t.

Sorry hound, I think yours came up just after I posted mine.

I have been offline for a few days. If you don't mind I won't bother going back through previous posts as I don't think I am going to be very enlightened am I!

Hancock has been party to three late lockdowns after ignoring the scientific advice, the policy to not introduce travel restrictions and quarantine for travellers from affected countries until the virus was running wild in this country, and has been party to not introducing travel restrictions on India for 3 weeks after being informed the variant was running wild there. What he knows is that however many cockups (or policy decisions to prioritise his party donors wealth over public health) people don't care and will still defend him and attack the people defending him - he pretty much said so in the interview this morning.

Wilts, I have also been away from the forum for a long time again today, which is quite normal for most of us I would imagine.
You right when you say you won’t be enlightened by going back over the thread as it just contains the usual conflicting opinions and mumbo jumbo.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11131 on May 16, 2021, 10:26:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
To add further to the perspective, currently there are 0 people in hospital in Doncaster with the virus, 0. Forgive me for thinking that after 18 months I may be able to visit my grandparents.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11132 on May 16, 2021, 10:41:02 pm by Nudga »
To add further to the perspective, currently there are 0 people in hospital in Doncaster with the virus, 0. Forgive me for thinking that after 18 months I may be able to visit my grandparents.

But but, wait two weeks.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11133 on May 16, 2021, 11:10:55 pm by SydneyRover »

That's surprising as ONS estimates there are over million long covid sufferers in the UK, maybe people are suffering but it is able to be treated at home.

How are you going Glyn are you still having problems with it?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11134 on May 16, 2021, 11:24:37 pm by River Don »
Government experts and the BMA recommend the public ignore the loosening of restrictions tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/16/ignore-lockdown-easing-to-curb-indian-covid-variant-health-experts-urge

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11135 on May 16, 2021, 11:32:23 pm by SydneyRover »
Follow the science RD, advice may change but until they have more answers caution does appear to be the sensible option.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11136 on May 16, 2021, 11:41:19 pm by SydneyRover »
Not really in context though is it, but you knew that.

I thought you may at least have a look and see what the official advice is Nudga, if you have taken some and you start whinnying and pawing the ground with your front legs this tells you why.

''There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin to treat humans with COVID-19. Ivermectin is often used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals.  The FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses''

''Here’s What You Need to Know about Ivermectin
FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans. Ivermectin tablets are approved at very specific doses for some parasitic worms, and there are topical (on the skin) formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea. Ivermectin is not an anti-viral (a drug for treating viruses).
Taking large doses of this drug is dangerous and can cause serious harm.
If you have a prescription for ivermectin for an FDA-approved use, get it from a legitimate source and take it exactly as prescribed.
Never use medications intended for animals on yourself. Ivermectin preparations for animals are very different from those approved for humans''

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11137 on May 16, 2021, 11:53:19 pm by bpoolrover »
Government experts and the BMA recommend the public ignore the loosening of restrictions tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/16/ignore-lockdown-easing-to-curb-indian-covid-variant-health-experts-urge
is he not former government?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11138 on May 17, 2021, 06:25:09 am by Nudga »

I thought you may at least have a look and see what the official advice is Nudga, if you have taken some and you start whinnying and pawing the ground with your front legs this tells you why.

''There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin to treat humans with COVID-19. Ivermectin is often used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals.  The FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses''

FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans. Ivermectin tablets are approved at very specific doses for some parasitic worms, and there are topical (on the skin) formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea. Ivermectin is not an anti-viral (a drug for treating viruses).
If you have a prescription for ivermectin for an FDA-approved use, get it from a legitimate source and take it exactly as prescribed.
Never use medications intended for animals on yourself. Ivermectin preparations for animals are very different from those approved for humans''

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Touché.

https://www.pharmacymagazine.co.uk/ivermectin-for-covid-19-a-cheap-drug-with-a-remarkable-effect

Probably not being rolled out and used because its a cheap drug and no money to be made. I'd trust this after being in use over 40 years than a vaccine that is still under emergency trials until 2023 and the pharmaceutical industry is exempt from being sued from any side effects.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:28:33 am by Nudga »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11139 on May 17, 2021, 06:50:32 am by SydneyRover »

Touché.

https://www.pharmacymagazine.co.uk/ivermectin-for-covid-19-a-cheap-drug-with-a-remarkable-effect

Probably not being rolled out and used because its a cheap drug and no money to be made. I'd trust this after being in use over 40 years than a vaccine that is still under emergency trials until 2023 and the pharmaceutical industry is exempt from being sued from any side effects.

The countries where approval has been given

Greece, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic & Several South American countries, they say 20 countries but don't name them all, why?

Not the UK or US

''Pharmacy'' all I can find about them is that they are a ''content provider'' whatever that is.

Here is a more considered view from the British Medical Journal that gives both side of the story,
you don't have to know both side of course, it's entirely up to you.

BMJ or someone from sales.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n747

Touched

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11140 on May 17, 2021, 07:59:18 am by Nudga »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11141 on May 17, 2021, 08:41:00 am by wilts rover »

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11142 on May 17, 2021, 08:58:51 am by Nudga »
Aye cos it's only used in vetinary settings eh

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11143 on May 17, 2021, 09:33:56 am by Bentley Bullet »
Those admitted to hospital with the new Indian variant were eligible for the vaccine but chose not to have it. Should we stay in lockdown until anti-vaccers change their minds?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11144 on May 17, 2021, 09:44:44 am by River Don »
MK Ultras?

...I didn't think it was possible for anyone to become that fanatical about Milton Keynes Dons.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #11145 on May 17, 2021, 12:32:23 pm by Axholme Lion »
Those admitted to hospital with the new Indian variant were eligible for the vaccine but chose not to have it. Should we stay in lockdown until anti-vaccers change their minds?

No. Let's open everything up, i've already wasted a year of my life for no good reason.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11146 on May 17, 2021, 01:08:42 pm by SydneyRover »

No. Let's open everything up, i've already wasted a year of my life for no good reason.

News from across the Pennines has put a whole new meaning to 'fancy an Indian'

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11147 on May 17, 2021, 03:44:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We've had 5 months to plan what the policy on overseas travel was going to be.

As of this morning, the official Govt policy is that you CAN travel to amber list countries for leisure purposes. But the Govt strongly urged you not to do.

Just...how the actual f**k does someone sign off on this?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11148 on May 17, 2021, 03:46:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
AL.

I've said before, there's a nasty bas**rd inside me that wishes people who hold your opinion could be transferred to the parallel Universe where we didn't take action against COVID. I'd like to see you experience going through six weeks  in which 400,000 people died.

• VSC Member
« Reply #11149 on May 17, 2021, 03:47:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We've had 5 months to plan what the policy on overseas travel was going to be.

As of this morning, the official Govt policy is that you CAN travel to amber list countries for leisure purposes. But the Govt strongly urged you not to do.

Just...how the actual f**k does someone sign off on this?

It has restrictions though, seems sensible to me?

Before travel to England
Before you travel to England you must:

take a COVID-19 test
book and pay for day 2 and day 8 COVID-19 travel tests – to be taken after arrival in England
complete a passenger locator form
On arrival in England
On arrival in England you must:

quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11150 on May 17, 2021, 03:53:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That's not the point BFYP. It's the conflicting message.

You are free to go to Spain on holiday.
We urge you not to go to Spain on holiday.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11151 on May 17, 2021, 04:10:34 pm by Bentley Bullet »
YOu are free to smoke and drink heavily but the government urge you not to.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11152 on May 17, 2021, 04:16:36 pm by River Don »
Smoke and drink heavily and you might make yourself very ill.

Pick up covid on your holidays and you might make yourself very ill and lots of other people too.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #11153 on May 17, 2021, 04:17:17 pm by albie »
A summary of the position;
https://youtu.be/Mtiqf2q8-uM

Comedy gold.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11154 on May 17, 2021, 04:22:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Pick up covid on your holidays and you might make yourself very ill and lots of other people too.

So you don't believe that passive smoking can make others very ill?

• VSC Member
« Reply #11155 on May 17, 2021, 04:23:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Herein lies a rather large debate. Should the state force the issue or leave it up to the population?

• VSC Member
« Reply #11156 on May 17, 2021, 04:25:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Drive a car you might cause climate change. Use plastic you may kill animals and pollute planet.  Where do we drawn the moral line?

How many deaths from passive smoking?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11157 on May 17, 2021, 04:36:23 pm by mushRTID »
1979 cases today

Despite the fear spreading on the Indian Variant the cases are going down.

And people wanted to delay today’s openings.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11158 on May 17, 2021, 04:44:31 pm by wilts rover »

That is not true. Around 20 people have so far been admitted to hospital who have had one jab, 1 person who had both jabs - as stated by Hancock in his interview with Ridge on Sunday.

None of the vaccines so far trialled is 100% effective. There is a very small possibility you will get covid after having the vaccine - but there is a very small possibility you will get covid. And the more of it there is in the community...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11159 on May 17, 2021, 04:46:08 pm by drfchound »

Herein lies a rather large debate. Should the state force the issue or leave it up to the population?

I asked that question some weeks ago mate.
Apparently the government should make the decision for us because people need to be told what they should do.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012