Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:25:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tommy Spurr off to Blackburn  (Read 12386 times)

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
Re: Tommy Spurr off to Blackburn
« Reply #30 on July 31, 2013, 10:52:19 am by roverssam1879 »
Damn!!!

thats another step away from the ''22 man squad''!

:suicide:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Keith Myath

Re: Tommy Spurr
« Reply #31 on July 31, 2013, 10:54:57 am by Keith Myath »
If this actually happens and then the investment falls through, it's gonna be hard to find empathy with anyone at the club. Most consistent footballer I have ever seen in a rovers shirt!, in a good way not in a Mark Wilson sought of way

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
Re: Tommy spurr
« Reply #32 on July 31, 2013, 10:55:02 am by roverssam1879 »
On Twitter is going to Blackburn rover's well done Doncaster another grt player lost pathetic  :mad:

Its a joke isnt it! our defence is threadbare now with arguably one of our stringest players gone for nothing.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Tommy Spurr off to Blackburn
« Reply #33 on July 31, 2013, 10:55:29 am by mushRTID »
This is a farce. One of our top 3 players in my opinion.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 31, 2013, 10:56:01 am by DonnyNoel »
I'm probably in a minority over this but should Spurr go I'm now sure how much the club can be blamed.

Read on please...

Just ask yourself, irrespective of when we offered Spurr a deal, at what point would he (or any player) have actually decided to sign the deal?

During the farce of the 11/12 season I doubt any player would have wanted to extend an existing deal.

During last season, promotion was in the balance right up to the last minute - why would a player sign a deal not knowing what division he would be playing in and therefore possibly agreeing to lower wages than he could get with an assured championship contract?

Since that takes us to the end of the season players are naturally going to see what offers are going to be on the table. The free transfer market has given players and agents supreme power. All Rovers can do is offer a contract as soon as they can and given the circumstances outlined about I really don't see how we could have tied Tommy down any earlier. He's a good age and a great player in a position that a lot of clubs struggle with.

Circumstances have conspired against us it seems :(

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 31, 2013, 10:56:01 am by DMnumber4 »
Maybe the take over is happening and the club have decided for the wages involved, we have a better option than Tommy lined up. Not sure I actually believe that's the reason.  Just grasping at positive straws at the moment!
 :chair:

You poor deluded...

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 31, 2013, 10:58:10 am by Yargo »
Yes and they still get millions in parachute payments to offer big contracts

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 31, 2013, 10:59:25 am by dickos1 »
Disagree,, spurr said himself only the other day that he'd agreed the contract but was just awaiting the paperwork.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 31, 2013, 11:00:01 am by roverssam1879 »
I guess, but given that we dont have a defence maybe they could have seen this as a high priority to keep the bloke? throw the kitchen sink at a good left back, as you said, teams struggle to find them.

thats two good left back in recent seasons with Roberts making the move to the rams.

donnymatty

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 31, 2013, 11:03:22 am by donnymatty »
If this is true its pathetic. The club have had all summer to get this sorted and as one of our strongest defenders in what is a very weak squad then well its not looking good...

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 31, 2013, 11:04:53 am by TheFunk »
Dickov said all the out of contract players would sign. More bullshit.

I don't believe he was bullshitting. It was more likely we were bullshitting when we offered him the job. I feel sorry for him. After the problems he had at Oldham we now expect him to do his job with both arms tied behind his back.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 31, 2013, 11:06:25 am by dickos1 »
Exactly,,,, nothing to do with Dickov this.
He'll be as frustrated as we are

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 31, 2013, 11:09:00 am by The Red Baron »
Disagree,, spurr said himself only the other day that he'd agreed the contract but was just awaiting the paperwork.

If that's the case, someone at the club wants their a**e kicking. You'd think they might have learned lessons from the M'voto fiasco, where we took him to Portugal at our expense and allowed him to play the field because he wasn't signed.

Have they never heard of deadlines for signing contracts?

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 31, 2013, 11:11:14 am by MrWoodySir »
If true then this is a joke, wouldn't blame Spurr for leaving whatsoever.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 31, 2013, 11:14:35 am by IDM »
Why is it a joke?  I guess that offers have been made to the players/agents, so is it DRFC'sfault they have not signed yet?

Maybe they are waiting for the "investment" to try and cut better deals?

Yes, I agree it is extremely frustrating, but to brand the club a joke is unfair.  The situation is a mess, but don't you think the club is desperate to get a proper squad for the season??

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 31, 2013, 11:17:02 am by dknward2 »
We never took mvoto to protugal he went and spoke to barnsley when the squad was there

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 31, 2013, 11:21:50 am by DonnyNoel »

If that's the case, someone at the club wants their a**e kicking. You'd think they might have learned lessons from the M'voto fiasco, where we took him to Portugal at our expense and allowed him to play the field because he wasn't signed.

Have they never heard of deadlines for signing contracts?

Paul Ince wants a rule brought in around that and I can understand why. In this case though - whats to say a player wouldn't just call our bluff and not sign? As I mentioned above, in a free transfer market they have the power.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 31, 2013, 11:23:01 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Can't fault him if he does sign.

If so, time for Husband to shine

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 31, 2013, 11:25:03 am by IDM »
When will folks stop blaming the club and calling the club a joke when the players and their agents haven't signed the contracts offered to them? 

It is hardly the club's fault, is it?  The idea of a signing deadline or period of applicability for an offered contract is a great idea!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 31, 2013, 11:25:25 am by MrFrost »
Dickov said all the out of contract players would sign. More bullshit.

I don't believe he was bullshitting. It was more likely we were bullshitting when we offered him the job. I feel sorry for him. After the problems he had at Oldham we now expect him to do his job with both arms tied behind his back.

Sorry, it wasn't aimed at Dickov, but its just another setback in what has been an awful summer.

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 31, 2013, 11:28:40 am by DRFCBRADFORD »
he should have been signed up first best defender last year ,its a disgrace

donnyguy61

« Reply #51 on July 31, 2013, 11:28:48 am by donnyguy61 »
@liamhodenDFP 2m
Tommy Spurr IS having a medical at Blackburn today, we have had it confirmed. More on our website shortly #drfc

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 31, 2013, 11:29:03 am by jm291 »
We have lost better players than Spurr before without having such a good replacement to step in (Husband). Blackburn are huge club and should be nailed on to go up this season so good luck to him, he was brilliant for us. And Ok the uncertainty regarding what's happening with investment etc is frustrating but JR is no mug at all and will sort it one way or another. Be excited to be back in the championship and remember how well we are doing as a club to even be there! RTID

graemedrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 31, 2013, 11:29:28 am by graemedrfc »
Spurr gone.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 31, 2013, 11:33:40 am by DonnyNoel »
he should have been signed up first best defender last year ,its a disgrace

How is it a disgrace? We offered a deal, he agreed in principle but since then has been offered a bigger deal. Players out of contract will look at all options I would imagine. How could we have forced him to sign sooner?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 31, 2013, 11:34:50 am by MrFrost »
The disgrace is that less than 3 days before the start of the season we can barely field a team. Have we got a goalkeeper yet?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 31, 2013, 11:34:51 am by Dare to dream! »
We have lost better players than Spurr before without having such a good replacement to step in (Husband). Blackburn are huge club and should be nailed on to go up this season so good luck to him, he was brilliant for us. And Ok the uncertainty regarding what's happening with investment etc is frustrating but JR is no mug at all and will sort it one way or another. Be excited to be back in the championship and remember how well we are doing as a club to even be there! RTID

Correct we have lost better players than spurr before. Have we ever lost a player of Spurr's calibre going into a better division having and being 5-6 players short?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 31, 2013, 11:37:13 am by IDM »
We didn't re-sign Hayter last summer, and we started with a threadbare squad.  Hayter went on to score loads of goals last season, but what happened to us???

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 31, 2013, 11:37:26 am by Albert Trousers »
Not the end of the world, I always liked Spurr but Husband is a left back (& a damn good one at that) not a winger, no great loss but we do need to strengthen in goal & up front as a matter of urgency.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 31, 2013, 11:39:16 am by wilts rover »

Correct we have lost better players than spurr before. Have we ever lost a player of Spurr's calibre going into a better division having and being 5-6 players short?

I would say that Paul Green was/is a better/more important player than Tommy Spurr - and we started that season with Gareth Taylor and Lewis Guy upfront so were at least 2 players short!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012