Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:39:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tommy Spurr off to Blackburn  (Read 12379 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Tommy spurr
« Reply #60 on July 31, 2013, 11:40:58 am by dickos1 »
he should have been signed up first best defender last year ,its a disgrace

How is it a disgrace? We offered a deal, he agreed in principle but since then has been offered a bigger deal. Players out of contract will look at all options I would imagine. How could we have forced him to sign sooner?

He hasn't been given anything to sign, all agreed in principle, but can't blame the player if he hasn't been given the paperwork to sign

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jm291

• VSC Member
Re: Tommy Spurr
« Reply #61 on July 31, 2013, 11:54:00 am by jm291 »
We have lost better players than Spurr before without having such a good replacement to step in (Husband). Blackburn are huge club and should be nailed on to go up this season so good luck to him, he was brilliant for us. And Ok the uncertainty regarding what's happening with investment etc is frustrating but JR is no mug at all and will sort it one way or another. Be excited to be back in the championship and remember how well we are doing as a club to even be there! RTID

Correct we have lost better players than spurr before. Have we ever lost a player of Spurr's calibre going into a better division having and being 5-6 players short?

I would say that Paul Green was/is a better/more important player than Tommy Spurr - and we started that season with Gareth Taylor and Lewis Guy upfront so were at least 2 players short!

The transfer window doesn't close for another month yet. Relax, I am sure it will get all sorted, whether it be the Irish investment or not. The squad obviously isn't complete yet and what people forget it that the board are also supporters to, they want the best for the team as well. Players will be coming and going.... it's the nature of football.

Phoenix

• Forum Member
Re: Tommy Spurr off to Blackburn
« Reply #62 on July 31, 2013, 12:00:04 pm by Phoenix »
I assume we'll be told that this is all part of the master plan.

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 31, 2013, 12:06:40 pm by Woodhead Passer »
It's alright, I'm sure we'll be linked with Stephen Ward at some point soon  :thumbsup:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 31, 2013, 12:06:55 pm by IDM »
 :that:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 31, 2013, 12:08:04 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But, what an opportunity for Husband to kick on and develop, exactly what he needs is to play every week so that's an opportunity and the young Irish lad is now an U19 and he's proven he's good in pre season so an opportunity there, still plenty positive, it'd be great to see two youth graduates on the left.

West Stand Willy

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 31, 2013, 12:09:51 pm by West Stand Willy »
I dont understand how we can get to being 3 days from the start of the season and find ourselfs in a situation like this! last season was bad enough with having so few players to start the campaign. I hoped we would have learned our lesson.
Players we were told would re-sign are now leaving and players we were told would sign are not. AND 3 days to go before Blackpool turn up at the Keepmoat. So much for "hitting the ground running" at this rate we wont even find the ground to hit!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 31, 2013, 12:19:45 pm by mushRTID »
Isn't Wabara a left back? He tweeted other week about a last training session at City and hasn't yet signed for anyone. Maybe he's hanging on for this investment?

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 31, 2013, 12:27:40 pm by robchester »
I'm sorry but if he wants to go then let him. I'd rather have players who truly want to play for the club. Thanks for everything you have done Tommy but goodbye.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 31, 2013, 12:37:02 pm by MachoMadness »
The season starts on Saturday and as yet we can't field a team of senior pros. I'm sorry but that is an awful situation.

ExileRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 31, 2013, 12:40:43 pm by ExileRover »
I'm sorry but if he wants to go then let him. I'd rather have players who truly want to play for the club. Thanks for everything you have done Tommy but goodbye.

Last week at the open evening I asked Tommy when he would be signing a new contract. His reply was that he had verbally agreed a deal with the club and that he was waiting for the paperwork to be drawn up and hoped rovers would "pull their finger out" and get it sorted. Not sure he was overly desperate to leave!

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 31, 2013, 12:48:14 pm by Bessie Red »
Thats pretty much what he said to me on Sunday too!

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
Spurr to Blackburn
« Reply #72 on July 31, 2013, 01:08:29 pm by FuzzyDuck »

godlike1

• Forum Member
Re: Spurr to Blackburn
« Reply #73 on July 31, 2013, 01:30:51 pm by godlike1 »
Well done board

I genuniely feel sorry for Dickov

this take over process could quite easily send us straight back down as a joke club again unless something is pulled out of the hat quickly

this evening should be very interresting

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
Re: Spurr medic at blackburn
« Reply #74 on July 31, 2013, 01:34:54 pm by roverssam1879 »
CHRIS! how very dare you! youll be segregated and sent to the ''whingers'' section!

dissapointment pfft!  :whistle:

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Spurr medic at blackburn
« Reply #75 on July 31, 2013, 01:35:34 pm by IDM »
Oh for fu... Are we allowed to be disappointed with this news?

Hell yes!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Spurr to Blackburn
« Reply #76 on July 31, 2013, 02:30:14 pm by Alickismyhero »
Fuzzy,
From a comment I have just read Tommy will not be signing till the end of the week thats all of 48hrs. Things can change fast in football lets hope things get sorted tonight otherwise Fuzzy is in goal.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on July 31, 2013, 04:54:13 pm by Copps is Magic »
Liam Hoden ‏@liamhodenDFP 1m

JR: Tommy Spurr has been offered something like a £2m contract - we obviously can't compete with that #drfc

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on July 31, 2013, 05:00:55 pm by eastender »

JR: Tommy Spurr has been offered something like a £2m contract - we obviously can't compete with that #drfc

That sounds like between 10k and 20k a week dependiing on the length of contract ....well done Tommy.  :)

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 31, 2013, 05:02:39 pm by Standanista »
Typical bloody Rovers.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on July 31, 2013, 05:06:46 pm by mushRTID »
He wouldnt have been offered such a deal had we not pissed around.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on July 31, 2013, 05:10:48 pm by steve@dcfd »

That sounds like between 10k and 20k a week dependiing on the length of contract ....well done Tommy.  :)
Just like Shackell all over again, was made an offer we could not compete with.

But we had a contract in principle but did not give it to Tommy too sign. Therefore could we not afford to sign him on PD original budget. So if we cannot afford Tommy then it's down to premiership loanees, yet to prove themselves and league one players. So where are the proven championship players promised with our present budget.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:15:56 pm by steve@dcfd »

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on July 31, 2013, 05:12:12 pm by DaveDRFC »

Plus all the chicken he can eat

Bessierover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 31, 2013, 05:22:23 pm by Bessierover »
Really decent bloke.....gutted he has gone but he deserves his big pay day.....good luck!

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 31, 2013, 05:35:22 pm by Viking Don »
Yeah good luck to Tommy, if he's been offered about £20,000 a week for the next couple of years he just has to snatch their hands off. Vastly overpriced for me, he's nowhere near worth that amount but I suppose they got him for free so can afford to offer more.

Excellent League1 defender who was one of the ones good enough for the Championship so will need replacing with quality, not just cover for Husband.

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on July 31, 2013, 06:35:21 pm by niteowler »
Do people honestly believe that we didn't try our best to resign him? I am afraid these things happen in football these days when agents are involved , who not only look after the players interests but their own as well. Imagine how the supporters of Brentford and Scunthorpe felt when we poached Forrester and Duffy, boot on the other foot and all that. I think that we should thank him for his past service and wish him well(if he goes) and count our blessings that we didn't lose him at the end of our relegation season when he could have so easily departed with our good Friend who went to Middlesboro.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 31, 2013, 06:40:03 pm by Metalmicky »
Erm........ we will be paying a fee for Duffy and Forrester..

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on July 31, 2013, 06:48:22 pm by niteowler »
I  did realise that but it must still be a sickener to both sets of supporters.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 31, 2013, 06:55:28 pm by PDX_Rover »
Spurr may have been bullshitting when he said he was waiting for the paperwork. Even if his agent had the paperwork he could very well have been touting for other offers... No-one knows. I don't blame Rovers (Doncaster) and am sure they tried to get things tied down.

The worst that happened in football, apart from Sky ripping the heart out of the game, is agents.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on July 31, 2013, 09:59:12 pm by CusworthRovers »
A good servant to DRFC and a true versatile warrior. Wouldn't say he was the most talented defender (often caught out of position) or attacking defender (so left footed it was easy for the opposing defender to work out he wouldn't cut inside). That said always gave 100% on the pitch, to the fans and to the club. Well done Tommy and go earn some cash and poultry. One of my favourite players since he signed.

A shame we never had him signed up (but necessarily the fault of DRFC), as we would have got a fee. A part of me thinks DRFC would have let him go anyway even with a fee. Husband is far cheaper and potentially could be/or is better.

I'm more than happy in Hubby even if we don't get a replacement. Then we have Wakefield and Finnegan. Aint so bad, just a shame we never got a fee.

Once again, good luck Tommy and thanks for some great service

TinyPortal © 2005-2012