Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:44:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Over winter...  (Read 2306 times)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
Over winter...
« on August 01, 2013, 08:03:43 am by adamtherover »
once injuries, suspensions etc kick in...a first team squad of roughly 16 pro's just wont work....    will we have a team of kids???   
At least being a yo yo club means you have the chance of a good season one in every 2..
Out of interest, how could we afford Humey as a third striker in L1, but not in  the championship with milions more sky money...  something really doesnt add up...  :headbang:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tuffty

• Forum Member
Re: Over winter...
« Reply #1 on August 01, 2013, 08:05:35 am by tuffty »
There is a seperate pot of money set to one side for loans for that scenario

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 01, 2013, 08:09:48 am by raggytash »
Gb clearly stated being in the cahoots was worth 6 million extra and that's not including extra gate receipts..where is this money because it certainly as not gone on the playing side

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 01, 2013, 08:12:45 am by IDM »
FFS does anyone really think we'll only have a squad of 16 senior pros?

With apologies for repetition I have posted this on another thread already:

Read this http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-we-will-not-be-rushed-1-5909142

Especially this bit: “We set a budget at the end of last season and Paul Dickov is working towards that budget to bring his team in,” he added.

“We’re comfortable with the squad we have got going into the start of the season, especially on the basis of the signings made [yesterday] and the people Paul is still talking to."

I read that as there are more players to come, already accounted for within the budget allocatiion?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 01, 2013, 08:30:39 am by adamtherover »
FFS does anyone really think we'll only have a squad of 16 senior pros?

“We’re comfortable with the squad we have got going into the start of the season,

as it stands we have about 16 players for the first game...  anyone remember what happened 2 years ago, first game v brighton????

call me old fashioned, but i like to assemble my team a good few weeks before kick off, let them gel, work on tactics, get to kno each other....  not at the end of september, after we've lost 7 on the bounce and theres already a relegation vibe around the place.....    because if that scenario occurs.. the calibre of player we could attract would deffo go down......  talk about making life hard for yoursens....

Someone last season suggested that the board didnt want promotion this year.... he got by and large hounded for it..
  the actions of the last 2 months back up that theory!!!

RTID.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 01, 2013, 08:37:34 am by IDM »
You didn't read the last bit did you?

And do you really think the club hasn't tried to get players over the summer?   Really?

Yes the situation is far from ideal but the transfer window is still open for a month, and potential investment is far from dead.  I am happy the club is looking long term in respect of investment.  Yes I would want a fuller squad ahead of Saturday and it is frustrating, but to suggest there are other agendas (not wanting promotion) is IMHO quite wrong.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 01, 2013, 08:56:14 am by roverssam1879 »
Investment aside, the pre season has been far from good enough. the squad should be complete and ready to go for the first game, not 3 quarters built.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2013, 09:01:36 am by IDM »
Of course it should, but it isn't.  No point in grumbling about it is there, it aint going to make it better!

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2013, 09:05:32 am by roverssam1879 »
there is plenty to grumble about, we only have two strikers! we had more than that last year in league 1.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 01, 2013, 09:12:57 am by DonnyNoel »
once injuries, suspensions etc kick in...a first team squad of roughly 16 pro's just wont work....    will we have a team of kids???   
At least being a yo yo club means you have the chance of a good season one in every 2..
Out of interest, how could we afford Humey as a third striker in L1, but not in  the championship with milions more sky money...  something really doesnt add up...  :headbang:

Who knows that % of Humes wages we paid last year compared to what Preston may have wanted this year. Also PNE may not have even wanted to loan him out and we may not have wanted to commit funds and higher wages to a transfer.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 01, 2013, 09:15:52 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Which part of there is a contingency pot do you not understand?  It came out fairly simple I thought.

Agree completely we need a striker that's for sure, but Dickov has said that and I'm sure it will come through.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 01, 2013, 09:45:07 am by The Red Baron »
If they're going for loans- either half or full season- then a lot of the PL clubs won't let the players go out until they've completed pre-season or at the end of the August window. So there could still be a couple of players to come in via loans.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 01, 2013, 09:46:19 am by oggycompton »
Yeah exactly Red Baron, they wont generally allow any players out on loan particularly youngsters until pre-season has been completed. Then they can see how they have progressed and whether they are ready for first team, reserve or loaned out football.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 01, 2013, 10:55:38 am by mrfrostsdad »
I think we need to be realistic.
Did we really think we were going to sign Billy Sharp, Shay Given, Richie Wellens, Bennett and everyone else we were linked with? We hoped yes. And the '20 million' got us all excited and it looked as though we just maybe may have had a squad that could push for promotion.

I think what we have now is the best we could have hoped for. We need another striker and a left back, and then hopefully we can keep our heads above water.

I only have one issue and its not he players we have. The only thing that annoys me, and it shouldn't because it happens every year, is all the hype we get from the board/management. How 'excited' we are going to be with the 'quality' of the players coming in. 'Experienced at Championship level' 'All in 4 weeks before the start of the season' etc etc.
If it wasn't for all the hype, we wouldn't build our hopes up and then we wouldn't get disappointed when it doesn't happen

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 01, 2013, 11:12:19 am by oggycompton »
I think we need to be realistic.
Did we really think we were going to sign Billy Sharp, Shay Given, Richie Wellens, Bennett and everyone else we were linked with? We hoped yes. And the '20 million' got us all excited and it looked as though we just maybe may have had a squad that could push for promotion.

I think what we have now is the best we could have hoped for. We need another striker and a left back, and then hopefully we can keep our heads above water.

I only have one issue and its not he players we have. The only thing that annoys me, and it shouldn't because it happens every year, is all the hype we get from the board/management. How 'excited' we are going to be with the 'quality' of the players coming in. 'Experienced at Championship level' 'All in 4 weeks before the start of the season' etc etc.
If it wasn't for all the hype, we wouldn't build our hopes up and then we wouldn't get disappointed when it doesn't happen

Agree wholeheartedly with your opening 2 paragraphs but I will comment on your 3rd.

I think to be honest with all that was going on behind the scenes and some say as early as late June onwards it would have been very hard to get players in as accounts were looked at and the like, there was alot going on behind the scenes that we will never really appreciate. I do agree to some extent though but then when I truly analyze the signings that have been made... all of them improve a side that won Division 1 last season and bar Tommy leaving, I think we are considerably stronger in every department.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 01, 2013, 01:48:43 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I think we look stronger in midfield.

Defensively, I'm not sure. No Griffin (probably) no Spurr (definitely) McCombe out for 3 months (and in my opinion I don't think good enough at the next level) Jones (I hope I'm wrong in thinking Jones will really struggle in The Championship) and a centre half who no-one has ever seen, who may turn out to be great, or not!!

Up front we have nothing - in my opinion obviously - that will worry a single Championship defence. And I really mean nothing. Browny holds it up great and Billy (and Brown) had a goal or two in them at League 1 level. But this league is a million times better

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 01, 2013, 01:57:48 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Fingers crossed the pitch no longer cause's injuries...

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 01, 2013, 02:04:24 pm by oggycompton »
It amazes me that people say McCombe hasn't got it at this level. Last season it turns out he was carrying an injury pretty much the whole time. This time off may well sort it out...hopefully.

Dont forget he was a key member of the Bristol City side that very very nearly got promotion to the Premier League a few years ago only losing out in the playoff final.

He's a good player and if fully fit, I think we will see that.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 01, 2013, 05:21:50 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I hope so Oggy, really I do

TinyPortal © 2005-2012