Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:16:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: oh dear  (Read 9696 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: oh dear
« Reply #30 on August 01, 2013, 11:50:30 am by IDM »
Our staying-up or relegation or promotion or whatever does not rest on Billy Sharp! Jeez!
No it doesn't, it rests on ambition! If it turns out to be true, the. It shows Barnsley have shed loads and we have f**k all

Please explain how we should fund this so called "ambition" - realistically?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 01, 2013, 11:51:25 am by andysly »
Sign BS we stay up with decent crowds because we're winning games.
Don't sign him a season of struggle and possible relegation with dwindling support.
Now do the economics.

Do you want DRFC to spend what they haven't got - and end up like Portsmouth?  Say we splash out what we can't afford on BS - to avoid relegation - and then he gets crocked again?  What then??

Which is a fair point and not for one moment do I advocate following the example of other clubs. But the comparison with Portsmouth is skewed that went ridiculously over budget, we would be gambling a bit but not to that extent.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 01, 2013, 11:52:53 am by IDM »
Massive lack of ambition, simple as. Good effort from Barnsley if they do indeed sign him.

Tell you what, go support Barnsley then!!!!

If you have even listened/read to what JR/PD has been saying recently we have tried to get BS and therefore shown ambition, but if we can't afford him what can we do???

It's my ambition to own an Aston Martin, but I can only afford a Vauxhall Astra.  Should I give up driving?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 01, 2013, 11:53:55 am by IDM »
Don't sign him a season of struggle and possible relegation with dwindling support.
Now do the economics.

Do you want DRFC to spend what they haven't got - and end up like Portsmouth?  Say we splash out what we can't afford on BS - to avoid relegation - and then he gets crocked again?  What then??

Which is a fair point and not for one moment do I advocate following the example of other clubs. But the comparison with Portsmouth is skewed that went ridiculously over budget, we would be gambling a bit but not to that extent.

I agree it is frustrating we may not be able to afford BS, but it is prudent to stick to affordable budgets, is it not?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 01, 2013, 11:54:41 am by River Don »
Fair play to Barnsley for actually showing some ambition. It's a real shame we couldn't do the same as he clearly wanted to join us. Embarrassing.
We all knew at the beginning of the pre-season that we need a decent keeper and a decent, nay prolific, striker. I would have like to see these concreted as soon as possible - and wouldn't be bothered if it was someone else other than BS. Thankfully the GK situation looks to be sorted, but I am very concerned about the striker situation.

JR has said we don't need a 20 goal a season striker because PD is playing a 4-5-1 and expects goals to come from the midfield. That is why they have made the investment in the midfield.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 01, 2013, 11:55:18 am by andysly »
Now do the economics.

I stick to finance. Sign Billy Sharp on his wages so potential outlay of 650k plus loan fee maybe 150k at least and agent so maybe 900k.

900k at an average ticket price of 21 pounds over the season is 1864 extra adults per game. Could Billy Sharp bring in that many adults per game?

Secondly if rovers increased budget by 900k ish could you satisfy ffp, could it be better spent elsewhere and what effect on existing lower paid players.

We've been here before and it was the beginning of the process towards relegation. Sharp great player for us but not worth blowing and stretching the budget for.

All my opinion though.

Taking your figures as correct.
1984 extra seats filled wouldn't just rest on BS, it would also involve the team potentially winning more matches than losing.
A mid table season average home crowd 9-10,000?
Relegation/struggle season av crowd 7-8,000 if that.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 01, 2013, 11:55:42 am by Dare to dream! »
Massive lack of ambition, simple as. Good effort from Barnsley if they do indeed sign him.

If you have even listened/read to what JR/PD has been saying recently we have tried to get BS and therefore shown ambition, but if we can't afford him what can we do???

It's my ambition to own an Aston Martin, but I can only afford a Vauxhall Astra.  Should I give up driving?

Too right IDM. We will all be upset if we don't get Billy and especially if he goes to Barnsley but we've got to accept we can't afford him and we have tried to get him. We can do no more.

Also remeber this might just be a wind up

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 01, 2013, 11:58:25 am by jonnydog »
Fair play to Barnsley for actually showing some ambition. It's a real shame we couldn't do the same as he clearly wanted to join us. Embarrassing.
We all knew at the beginning of the pre-season that we need a decent keeper and a decent, nay prolific, striker. I would have like to see these concreted as soon as possible - and wouldn't be bothered if it was someone else other than BS. Thankfully the GK situation looks to be sorted, but I am very concerned about the striker situation.

JR has said we don't need a 20 goal a season striker because PD is playing a 4-5-1 and expects goals to come from the midfield. That is why they have made the investment in the midfield.

which yeah, fair enough, if it works, but see my post after that RD:-

Our staying-up or relegation or promotion or whatever does not rest on Billy Sharp! Jeez!

No, but it does depend on a team and surely to god another striker that can bring a change of pace and maybe bang them in. I aint bothered who it is as long as it's someone who can change the dynamics of a game and bag some goals.

I know some are saying with the formation PD like we might only need 1 striker. But what if every game the formation struggles to work, have we got a back up plan with regards to strikers cos I just don't see one. BP and CB are too similar player in my opinion - that's assuming they both stay fit too

I just can't see the 4-5-1 working for a full 90 minutes for every game. Surely we need a decent Plan B and maybe even C

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 01, 2013, 12:00:13 pm by Boomstick »
If that happens, I'm going back to get a refund on my season ticket. on the grounds of it being unsuitable, and not what I'm looking for on my Saturday afternoons. Kept the faith long enough, stretched my budget to breaking point, and invested a lot of money in the club I support. To be let down.

Are you for real?
Very, you won't find many fans who love the club more than me. If this happens it will hurt, a lot. especially with Barnsley being a pretty much identical club. I would feel let down by the board, and I would chose to have a break for a season to re- kindle my passion

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 01, 2013, 12:02:02 pm by IDM »
What's wrong with supporting the rest of the squad? 

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 01, 2013, 12:05:54 pm by Katesby »

Very preditable respone from you

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 01, 2013, 12:07:21 pm by jonnydog »

No, but you should ensure you have enough fuel to get you through your journey

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 01, 2013, 12:09:56 pm by River Don »

No, but it does depend on a team and surely to god another striker that can bring a change of pace and maybe bang them in. I aint bothered who it is as long as it's someone who can change the dynamics of a game and bag some goals.

I know some are saying with the formation PD like we might only need 1 striker. But what if every game the formation struggles to work, have we got a back up plan with regards to strikers cos I just don't see one. BP and CB are too similar player in my opinion - that's assuming they both stay fit too

I just can't see the 4-5-1 working for a full 90 minutes for every game. Surely we need a decent Plan B and maybe even C

4-5-1 is a common enough formation these days, I don't see why it can't work. There are a number of variations within the 4-5-1 as well remember.

We could try a 4-6-0!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 01, 2013, 12:10:43 pm by IDM »

And realistic...  You still haven't justified calling TB a "disgrace" yesterday have you???

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 01, 2013, 12:11:22 pm by eastender »
Barnsley have sold over 8000 season tickets, and that's after a season of fighting off relegation.

We win promotion and League title yet can only manage just over 4000 and GB say's the club are happy.

I know  which club will be the happier especially if they use those extra funds to belt their closest rivals round the face with.  :(   

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 01, 2013, 12:13:18 pm by IDM »
JD my Astra is much cheaper on fuel than an Aston, and funnily enough I can just about afford to fill the tank....

Look folks, it's all well and good getting upset about possibly "losing" BS to Barnsley or to any of the other 90 league clubs, but what's the point of getting upset if we just can't afford him?

This still could be a wind up....

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 01, 2013, 12:15:37 pm by Al4475 »
What's wrong with supporting the rest of the squad?  Correct and may I add?

That are actually players that for the season are DRFC Players and not players playing for other teams!

So what if Billy chooses Barnsley (or anyone else for that matter) I don't care! We've just signed Chelsea's former second choice goalkeeper which has been everyone's biggest worry all season!

I honestly don't get (despite how great Billy was for us) the general Rovers fans preoccupation with this one striker!

And i loved him as much as the next rover - but when he left us - that was it! That's football! Do we really need to cling to him?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 01, 2013, 12:16:50 pm by RobTheRover »
Is this classed as a "mouth watering signing"?

Just saying, like.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 01, 2013, 12:18:09 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Ooof. Rob sticking the boot in there. :)

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 01, 2013, 12:21:45 pm by Katesby »

And realistic...  You still haven't justified calling TB a "disgrace" yesterday have you???

Still haven't dropped that? I have my own reasons for saying such things, of which I am not prepared to share. In the mean time, I suggest you get some ladders in order to aid you in clibming out of the clubs arse for once and accept that we have been a shambles recently.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 01, 2013, 12:25:28 pm by IDM »
If you remember Katesby, you claimed that you could say what you like on a forum.  If you're not prepared to say why you think TB is a "disgrace", then don't say it!

Also, would you say that to his face?

As for your comment about me and the club - I just like to go to the football, end of. 

I comment on here as I find some of the posts incredulous that I feel strong enough to reply.

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 01, 2013, 12:28:42 pm by Katesby »
If you remember Katesby, you claimed that you could say what you like on a forum.  If you're not prepared to say why you think TB is a "disgrace", then don't say it!

Also, would you say that to his face?

As for your comment about me and the club - I just like to go to the football, end of. 

I comment on here as I find some of the posts incredulous that I feel strong enough to reply.

I can absolutely say what I like, hence I will not be telling the likes of you my reasons. For the record, yes I would.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on August 01, 2013, 12:30:31 pm by jonnydog »

4-5-1 is a common enough formation these days, I don't see why it can't work. There are a number of variations within the 4-5-1 as well remember.

We could try a 4-6-0!

Or we could try doing a SoD at 1-0 down and switch to a 5-5-0... consolidation is the key my friends ;)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 01, 2013, 12:33:30 pm by IDM »
And I (and any other forum user) can challenge you.  You won't find many sympathetic to your arguments if you don't give reasons though.

Anyway, we all support DRFC don't we?  Let's agree to disagree and move on?

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 01, 2013, 12:36:25 pm by Jim Dobbin »
This is the best JR wind up yet....

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #55 on August 01, 2013, 12:37:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well that would be a shame if people believed the future of DRFC depended on 1 player. One wonders about objective of the sensational tone of the article from the exiles?

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 01, 2013, 12:37:33 pm by Milepostuk »
I have just read a quote from a director stating that we are a profitable club. Also, we should all be able to agree that we need at least one other striker so its not the full cost of Billy we should be looking at but, the additional cost. This is a signing that could well keep us out of the relegation zone.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on August 01, 2013, 12:50:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I have just read a quote from a director stating that we are a profitable club. Also, we should all be able to agree that we need at least one other striker so its not the full cost of Billy we should be looking at but, the additional cost. This is a signing that could well keep us out of the relegation zone.

Like it did last time? We'd have got much further signing 3-4 players than lumping on one it was the start of the downfall.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 01, 2013, 12:51:41 pm by Donnyrovers »
It's blatantly obvious we need a new striker and we need a signing that shows ambition, we don't have a plan B up top and a striker that can work the channels we will have the slowest strike force in the division. We don't have enough goals in the team and if we don't sign a goalscorer (maybe not Sharp but someone else) we will comfortably be relegated because we don't have anywhere near enough goals in us for this level.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 01, 2013, 12:56:28 pm by bobbymax »
It's blatantly obvious we need a new striker and we need a signing that shows ambition, we don't have a plan B up top and a striker that can work the channels we will have the slowest strike force in the division. We don't have enough goals in the team and if we don't sign a goalscorer (maybe not Sharp but someone else) we will comfortably be relegated because we don't have anywhere near enough goals in us for this level.
Don't panic! Don't panic!
Can you be comfortably relegated? It was rather an uncomfortable experience a couple of years ago.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012