Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:53:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: oh dear  (Read 9715 times)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
Re: oh dear
« Reply #60 on August 01, 2013, 12:56:31 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
We...want...goals.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 01, 2013, 12:59:11 pm by ScillyRover »
Billy certainly isn't in S. Yorks at the moment. Got to be a wind up.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 01, 2013, 01:13:37 pm by graingrover »

Re: Billy Sharp

« Reply #4 on Today at 12:53:11 PM by graingrover »

If that statement is truly from our Chairman then he is a weakened man , bitter and defeated by recent events . 

I have a suggestion John .. if you feel your job has become untenable since you have lost the Board as a final gesture . LEND Rovers £ 1.2 million for the transfer  fee and the £ 25,000 a week Billy is reputedly on at Southampton until Xmas by which time we would be in a play off position and the two potential investors would for sure more than reimburse your personal loan. The fans woud have you knighted . The alternative of Barnsley doing that in our place is the biggest put down the club will ever have had .

Barnsley MUST be borrowing the money to from somewhere

donnyguy61

« Reply #63 on August 01, 2013, 01:22:31 pm by donnyguy61 »

Andy Giddings ‏@Gids1980 5m
BBC RS understands that #barnsleyfc have made an enquiry about signing Southampton striker Billy Sharp. It's believed for a loan deal.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 01, 2013, 01:28:42 pm by mrfrostsdad »
So BFYP,
The signing of Billy Sharp was the beginning of our downfall? By which you mean that it was a major reason why we got relegated?

I don't take PERSONAL issue with anything anyone says on here, but this takes the biscuit. Or maybe the Yorkshire Pudding in your case.

JR and the directors paid for Sharp out of their own pockets (as I recall) we didn't lose money on him when we sold him (as I recall) so how as it the beginning of our downfall? Without Sharps 41 goals in 80 odd games would we have not gone down earlier?

Lets do some simple maths. Say we pay £1m for Billy and pay him 10 grand a week. Over one season that's £1,520,000. If his goals keep us in the Championship for an extra season (no, no guarantee) we get an extra 2 point something million from TV money plus bigger crowds, even if its only because the away teams bring more, the following season. If we don't stay up, we sell him on as we did last time. Yes, very simplistic, but is it a million miles away? I doubt it.

To turn your argument completely on its head BFYP, maybe NOT signing him will be the beginning of our downfall.

And of course, we MAY still sign him yet!

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 01, 2013, 01:30:24 pm by Jim Dobbin »
They've flogged two academy kids for over £4 million in the past 12 months.

Radio Sheff get most of their Rovers rumours off here anyway.

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 01, 2013, 01:42:49 pm by PACMAN »
So BFYP,
The signing of Billy Sharp was the beginning of our downfall? By which you mean that it was a major reason why we got relegated?

I don't take PERSONAL issue with anything anyone says on here, but this takes the biscuit. Or maybe the Yorkshire Pudding in your case.

JR and the directors paid for Sharp out of their own pockets (as I recall) we didn't lose money on him when we sold him (as I recall) so how as it the beginning of our downfall? Without Sharps 41 goals in 80 odd games would we have not gone down earlier?

Lets do some simple maths. Say we pay £1m for Billy and pay him 10 grand a week. Over one season that's £1,520,000. If his goals keep us in the Championship for an extra season (no, no guarantee) we get an extra 2 point something million from TV money plus bigger crowds, even if its only because the away teams bring more, the following season. If we don't stay up, we sell him on as we did last time. Yes, very simplistic, but is it a million miles away? I doubt it.

To turn your argument completely on its head BFYP, maybe NOT signing him will be the beginning of our downfall.

And of course, we MAY still sign him yet!
I sort of agree with both points of view, Frosty's right that his goals probably kept us up but it could easily be argued that the money/wages could have been spread over 2/3 players, which equally may have had the same impact.
As for potentially signing Billy Sharp, no thanks, not for me. Name some players who have come back here for a second spell (excluding loan spells) and excelled more than they did in the first. The older generation might get beyond the fingers on one hand but there will not be many more.
I think Billy Sharp is a great fox in the box but IMHO we need a striker with pace this season, something Billy isn't blessed with. If he goes to Barnsley, so what, the lad's got to do what's right for him, his family and his career and I wish him luck, until they play us!!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 01, 2013, 01:50:16 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Fair comments PACMAN,
I'll include loan signings and name one: Billy Sharp!!!!!!!

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 01, 2013, 01:51:23 pm by Lipsy »
It shouldn't be too difficult to work out who wrote this blog, surely? Just how many people have access to it?

Scrolling down, I see that this "Insider" seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about the investment... Still, I cannot believe that JR would tell someone - presumably someone he knows that writes the blog - that kind of information... Very, very strange indeed.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 01, 2013, 01:56:47 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Take a peek at the Barnsley forum they've hit the nail on the head.

He's signing for Rovers on loan, Saturday will look a whole lot different. 2-1 Rovers.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 01, 2013, 04:02:45 pm by RedJ »
Take a peek at the Barnsley forum they've hit the nail on the head.

He's signing for Rovers on loan, Saturday will look a whole lot different. 2-1 Rovers.

What does it say? rather not go onto there.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 01, 2013, 07:45:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Ever feel there's emotional blackmail going on at a higher level?

From what I understand about the sort of money he's on at Southampton a permanent signing is just a complete no no, even if he made some concessions on wages/bonuses etc. Too big a risk and the even if the owners were thinking about separate funding for him, they will know they will not get a return on him on this occasion.

A loan deal? Our first approach was rejected and we do not know what Barnsley have offered, if any as it is an enquiry. If they managed to agree a deal then I'm sure we'll be spitting feathers (and perhaps some are banking on that?)

We all love Billy, but it's a tough call given we've got a full season ahead of us, already affected by injury to a player who I believe will have a big influence, it would be a massive risk. I have no doubt that his arrival would positively impact ticket sales, shirt sales and the like, but we got scorched, when he got done at Brighton!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 01, 2013, 08:26:44 pm by NickDRFC »
Pacman - Tim Ryan

TinyPortal © 2005-2012