Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:48:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tomlinson signs  (Read 17302 times)

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
Re: Tomlinson signs
« Reply #60 on August 01, 2013, 03:58:21 pm by scaley back rover »
also should he not be renaming his pop group every direction as our fans never seem to be going in one direction on any subject to do with the club

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 01, 2013, 04:05:37 pm by IDM »

If you go on twitter literally the whole country is laughing

Only if you take Twitter seriously!

Tomorrow's chip paper - the crap on there today...

Keith Myath

« Reply #62 on August 01, 2013, 04:18:35 pm by Keith Myath »
I've only read the official site and it mentions nothing about ties to any charity. It mentioned the bluebell wood game as a seperate venture.

That is why its a complete laughing stock.

What it should have said is:

Louis Tomlinson signs for Doncaster Rovers for the Charity Blue Bell wood. All Shirt sold will see 'X'% being given to the Charity.

But it doesnt, and in my eyes it says that "we are selling our soul in the hope of selling a few more shirts"

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 01, 2013, 04:24:37 pm by roversontheup »
I actually don't care if other clubs fans are laughing at us.  Great move by the club, both in terms of charity fund raising and also publicity for Rovers. If we sell a load of shirts with his name and number on the back it will bring in funds fir the club.

We have once again done something a bit different.  I salute the club for having the bottle and foresight to go along with it.  If its true that Real Madrid approached him to do something similar for them but he turned them down so he could support his local club and charity then fair play to him.  If its good enough for Real Madrid its good enough for Rovers in my book!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 01, 2013, 04:31:30 pm by not on facebook »
I think Its a great idea and top draw PR

Some Of you lot still live in the caves

bluewiggy123

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 01, 2013, 04:33:33 pm by bluewiggy123 »
I actually don't care if other clubs fans are laughing at us.  Great move by the club, both in terms of charity fund raising and also publicity for Rovers. If we sell a load of shirts with his name and number on the back it will bring in funds fir the club.

We have once again done something a bit different.  I salute the club for having the bottle and foresight to go along with it.  If its true that Real Madrid approached him to do something similar for them but he turned them down so he could support his local club and charity then fair play to him.  If its good enough for Real Madrid its good enough for Rovers in my book!

well said  :that:

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 01, 2013, 04:33:52 pm by goalkick »
Well done young man thinking about local charity.shame on some of our young posters who think this type of gesture is a joke.most clubs support good causes.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 01, 2013, 04:36:54 pm by Jenny »
There are different ways to go about supporting good causes though....

I am not against the idea, it is PR genius and there is nothing wrong with exploiting links to megastars, however, the timing couldn't be worse. Yes it is unlikely it was decided this morning, but this summer hasn't exactly been full of positive messages. To release a squad showing 13 players and then two days later announce that we have signed a pop star is quite frankly disappointing.

I am sure that with the money Thomlinson has, he could support the Hospice in any way he wanted....

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 01, 2013, 04:38:56 pm by mushRTID »
Why didnt we do this 3 months ago, sell loads if shirts and buy Billy Sharp?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 01, 2013, 04:40:06 pm by Copps is Magic »
We wanted a man loved by men but we got a boy loved by girls.

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 01, 2013, 04:53:58 pm by ridgewoodrover »
any body  moaning, have a  look   on news now  Doncaster rovers.  all positive coverage from all round the  globe , is it only us that can moan about summat   positive  .

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 01, 2013, 04:55:59 pm by colin cramb »
Have we actually got any shirts to sell yet?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 01, 2013, 05:07:48 pm by Lipsy »

Absolutely bang on. If your opinion differs from the above then you're wrong - it's as simple as that. Mods - can we PLEASE have an "I'm A Moaning bas**rd" section on this forum? Ta.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 01, 2013, 05:49:47 pm by Donnybax »

Absolutely bang on. If your opinion differs from the above then you're wrong - it's as simple as that. Mods - can we PLEASE have an "I'm A Moaning b*****d" section on this forum? Ta.
that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. If your opinion differs you're wrong? How's that work? It's someone's opinion?

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 01, 2013, 05:58:22 pm by bigal »
Did we have all this moaning when J.R.signed for us and he actually played

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 01, 2013, 05:58:38 pm by Lipsy »
Because, despite what the teachers tell you, opinions can be wrong. It's not a difficult concept to wrap your head around...

Hitler, for example, had lots of opinions about disabled people, Jews, black folks and homosexuals - all of his opinions on those topics/people were wrong. It's very simple.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:33:13 pm by RobTheRover »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 01, 2013, 06:01:56 pm by Donnybax »
That's very very different how can you compare that to hitler? FFS

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 01, 2013, 06:02:15 pm by RedJ »
What's that thing that says if you leave a thread running long enough Hitler/the Nazis will come up?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 01, 2013, 06:05:51 pm by Lipsy »
That's very very different how can you compare that to hitler? FFS

I was giving you an extreme (possibly the most extreme) example in order for you to understand the concept of opinions being wrong. You're confusing entitlement to an opinion with the ridiculous notion that all opinions are valid.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 01, 2013, 06:08:31 pm by Donnybax »
Well in a forum like this surely all opinions are valid? As nobody here is as extreme as hitler!

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 01, 2013, 06:13:45 pm by The L J Monk »
What's that thing that says if you leave a thread running long enough Hitler/the Nazis will come up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 01, 2013, 06:25:39 pm by Lipsy »
More or less, yes. I was half-joking, tbh. I respect everyone's opinions - even when they're wrong.  :lol:

However, I don't believe that a bunch of whining gits complaining about a PR stunt that will raise money both club and a worthy cause have a valid opinion.

I mean, let's break it down...

The club haven't signed many players *sob*... So we can't/shouldn't raise money for a charity? Really? Sorry, you're wrong. Try again. Also, we haven't finished signing players yet.

It's a prick whose music I despise... So what? He's helping to raise money for a worthy cause and - no doubt - we'll raise money for us thanks to shirt sales. Oh, and kids - potential future fans - will come to the Keepmoat, possibly for the first time. Oh, and we're all over the media for doing something creative, fun and worthy... Again, fail. Try again.

He's gay. Go away, you nasty homophobic prick. Fail.

Other cwubs are warffing at us. Aw diddums. Also fail.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:53:07 pm by Lipsy »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 01, 2013, 06:27:33 pm by Donnybax »
Yeah those things aren't right especially the homophobic stuff. Some people like moaning though

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 01, 2013, 06:31:50 pm by Lipsy »
Indeed. I have been genuinely saddened to see some of that on Facebook. My point - if indeed I have one - is that the club do something really good (even with a mountain of other shit going on) and people still pick holes in it.

That's my real beef, tbh.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:50:38 pm by Lipsy »

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 01, 2013, 06:48:07 pm by whisky »
Genius piece of PR. And as others have mentioned the 1000's of shirts we will sell with Tomlinson 28 on the back to people who would otherwise have no interest in buying a Rovers shirt will be a massive boost to the club financially and in terms of publicity. We could be seeing Rovers shirts being worn all around the world on the back of this.
Well done Doncaster Rovers.

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 01, 2013, 06:51:01 pm by whisky »
Also I think we should get a new song going "best club ever" to the tune of One Directions "best song ever"
 :chair:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 01, 2013, 06:55:58 pm by PDX_Rover »
Think it's a great idea personally.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 01, 2013, 07:01:41 pm by Highland Rover »
A happy coincidence that the best ever selling shirt was Beckham 28 Real Madrid ???

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 01, 2013, 07:05:47 pm by The Red Baron »
May I draw the attention of the nay-sayers to the following:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Championship/Doncaster+Rovers?search=&type=&searchheadlines=

A full page and then some today. We've even been noticed in the USA- though they call us a "soccer" club. Yesterday, when we signed Turnbull, Khumalo and Forrester we barely filled a page.

Remember- no publicity is bad publicity, ladies & gents.

Anyway, didn't Port Vale make a fortune from shifting replica shirts after Robbie Williams wore one on stage? We could do the same.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 01, 2013, 07:06:37 pm by RedJ »
A happy coincidence that the best ever selling shirt was Beckham 28 Real Madrid ???

Bloody hell, they must have had millions returned if it was 28 for Beckham on em.

Now, 23...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012