Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:22:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fans Supporting Foodbanks  (Read 1711 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Fans Supporting Foodbanks
« on September 28, 2017, 07:46:24 pm by silent majority »
Over the last few years many supporter groups, working alongside football clubs, have been supporting food-banks in their local communities. Next month the FSF will be hosting a meeting in Newcastle to share stories and introduce other clubs, MP's, and supporter groups in how to organise and run their own. I've put my name down to attend but I'd certainly like some support from any DRFC fans who would like to help or participate.

Full details of the day are here;

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/fans-supporting-foodbanks-october-2017

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
Re: Fans Supporting Foodbanks
« Reply #1 on September 28, 2017, 09:10:18 pm by Jimmydee »
It's a horrible situation and a fact that food banks are part of today's society, I can appreciate that respectable families have to rely on food banks to survive, I was in a position during the miners strike where my young family relied on the soup kitchens .
It gets back to a political view that these days of austerity due to the greedy bankers financial collapse and we are all paying for it now.
I would certainly contribute to regular collections buckets at the turnstiles at the Keepmoat.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 28, 2017, 09:18:58 pm by silent majority »
Thanks Jimmy. I had a good chat with the club yesterday and today about this and they need to check out a few things, but all being well I'm hoping they will partner in this.

I also had a long chat with the guys in the FSF office and some of the situations they were talking about are really shocking. I didn't realise just how bad things are. Football can't solve all societies ills but it can help in situations like this.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 29, 2017, 06:44:35 pm by Jimmydee »
I don't work on Fridays and I would be happy to support you on this campaign, I'm not sure what commitment would be involved, I'm sympathetic to the fact that decent families have to rely on food banks.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 29, 2017, 08:42:38 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I can't attend but I would urge anyone who can give SM some support to do so.
It's criminal that we need food banks in this country in this day and age and you couldn't have much more of a worthy cause.
Everyone who helps out deserves our respect and it would be marvellous if our club and supporters groups became involved.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 29, 2017, 09:29:28 pm by silent majority »
I don't work on Fridays and I would be happy to support you on this campaign, I'm not sure what commitment would be involved, I'm sympathetic to the fact that decent families have to rely on food banks.

Hi Jimmy, I'm travelling up on the Friday, starts at 11, would you like to travel with me? I'll drop you a pm.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 29, 2017, 09:30:03 pm by silent majority »
Thanks Lifelong, your support is much appreciated.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 29, 2017, 10:23:03 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Can't make 13th as will be at work but count me in for supporting the initiative. And if you saw the BBC 6.00 news tonight we haven't even had the pleasure of the full impact of universal credit....yet.... The MS has consistently campaigned on this issue....

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-3143-More-to-foodbanks-than-the-food#.Wc63yMZrxqw

TinyPortal © 2005-2012